Carlton - What will Carlton's side look like in 2023?

Where will Carlton finish in five years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

• Banned
Simpson Weitering Pick 1(2019)
Williamson Marchbank Docherty
Pick 1(2021) Cripps Fisher
SPS Curnow Pick 1(2020)
Pick 1(2022) Lukosius Pick 1(2023)
De Koning Dow Kennedy
O'Brien Mckay Cunningham Poulson

what do you mean by this?

Obviously I have no idea, but I suspect they will be up there.

As long as they dont listen to the football media and try to rush everything just so they can finish mid table, they should have a solid list and start contending in 4 -5 years.

Good teams take a long time to build.

• Banned
SPS Curnow Pick 1(2020)
De Koning Dow Kennedy
oh sorry i didnt understand that you had pick 1 as a spot. I thought meant Docherty is pick1 as so on

carlton and goldcoast will merge to become the tassie devils......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPS Curnow Pick 1(2020)
De Koning Dow Kennedy

Appreciate your enthusiasm but if Simpson is still playing in 5-years time, then he will have joined the 400-game club and I cannot see that happening at all.

I think the thread title should be. What will Carltons side look in 2020. Plowman Weitering Docherty

Byrne Marchbank Williamson

????? Cripps Fisher

C Curnow Lukosius J Silvagni

?????? Mckay Pickett

Rucks
TDK SPS Dow Kennedy

Bench
Cunnignham Murphy Obrien Polsen Our trades and draft selections should focus of drafting lukosious. A small defender. 1 gorillla defender. 1 ruckman. Small pressure forwards. Lots of A grade midfielders.

Plowman Weitering Docherty'

??????? Marchbank Williamson

Obrien Cripps Fisher

C Curnow Lukosius SPS

?????? Mckay ????????

Rucks
???????? Dow Kennedy

Bench
Cunnignham ?????? ?????? ??????

They need:
Play maker half back
Another inside midfielder
Small Forward
Ruck
Midfield depth
That half back playmaker you want is Docherty, he isn’t a pocket. Williamson will go into the FB line and O’Brien was drafted to play as a defender.
Forward, Curnow will play as the third tall IF Lukosius comes in. We don’t know yet, and there is equal chance that we trade pick 1. Pickett and Polson are improving quickly and should help fill those other spots.
As for rucks, Kreuzer will be 33/34 as will Lobbe, De. Koning will have matured by then. Phillips will be 31/32

A
I think the thread title should be. What will Carltons side look in 2020. Plowman Weitering Docherty

Byrne Marchbank Williamson

????? Cripps Fisher

C Curnow Lukosius J Silvagni

?????? Mckay Pickett

Rucks
TDK SPS Dow Kennedy

Bench
Cunnignham Murphy Obrien Polsen Our trades and draft selections should focus of drafting lukosious. A small defender. 1 gorillla defender. 1 ruckman. Small pressure forwards. Lots of A grade midfielders.
are you suggesting 5 listed ruckmen?

B: Plowman Weitering Byrne
HB: Docherty Marchbank Williamson
C: Fisher Kennedy O'brien
HF: C.Curnow Lukosius Petrevski-Seton
F: Pickett McKay Garlett
Ru: ??? Cripps Dow
Int: Silvagni Cuningham Poulsen ???

This exercise is why i am nowhere near as worried for carlton as others are. Plenty of young talent that will be fine once given another 90+ games before 2023 easy.

Add in some quality draft picks and no need to fret just yet.

EDIT: Forgot about Jarrod Garlett, top 15 draft pick at GCS that went home for his dieing brother. Easily has the talent to make it but is a cream on top type player that all good teams need. Slots into forward pockett nicely.

Last edited:
PLOWMAN Marchbank Schumacher
Docherty, Weitering Williamson
Kerridge Cripps O’Brien
SPS Curnow Polson
Kennedy McKay Pickett
De Koning Dow Fisher
Silvagni, Cunningham, Lamb, Lang

Looking at this, we actually need a tagger/run with player. Lamb isn’t that good, but is our only other option.
I also think that most of our forwards should be midfielders. Bring in some general forwards. Xavier O’Halloran at all costs

That half back playmaker you want is Docherty, he isn’t a pocket. Williamson will go into the FB line and O’Brien was drafted to play as a defender.
Forward, Curnow will play as the third tall IF Lukosius comes in. We don’t know yet, and there is equal chance that we trade pick 1. Pickett and Polson are improving quickly and should help fill those other spots.
As for rucks, Kreuzer will be 33/34 as will Lobbe, De. Koning will have matured by then. Phillips will be 31/32
You didn’t realise that old positions don’t exist.

Pickett and Polson may fill the ?????? But who knows.

De Koning is still in developmental stage and again knows if he will make it.

My the way, O’Brien played as an outside midfielder before he got drafted and still runs through your midfield.

Was always going to be our hardest year of the rebuild especially with Gibbs and Docherty (1 and 2 in our bnf), do that to any side and see if they improve.

In our first year we got criticised for not playing enough kids, second year we were too defensive and this year with lack of personnel due to injury and more kids out there trying to play a more attacking style of footy we are the worst team in history apparently.

I for one will put my hand up admitting that I thought we were going to win 5+ games this year and be competitive across the board. This year has been tough but for the first time in my life as a Carlton supporter we aren't going for the quick fix, we are sticking to our guns by going to the draft and backing our coach.

Plowman (23) - Weitering (20) - Williamson (19)
Docherty (24) - Marchbank (21) - ???
Fisher (20) - Cripps (23) - SPS (20)
??? - Curnow (21) - ???
??? - McKay (20) - ???
??? - Kennedy (21) - Dow (18)
O'Brien (18) - ??? - ??? - ???

The players above I think will be best 22 in 2023 and over 5 trade/draft periods I like to think we can fill those holes.

Of our current options for the ???:
Half Back: Byrne has been hurt with injury, we have Schumacher and Macreadie as options but definitely a position we need depth in.
Half Forward/Pockets: I still hold out hope for Pickett but i'm not gonna say he will definitely make it, same goes for JSOS, Polson, Lang, Kerr and Garlett who are all 22 and under. Another area that we will have to address soon depending on the development of the names above.
Ruck: Our only young ruck is first year player Tom De Koning taken with pick 30 in the draft, we need another young ruck to develop, maybe a rookie.
Bench/Midfield depth: Our only other young mid is Cuningham who's 21 years old and another I still have hope for.

We desperately need more midfielders and quality ones at that but we already have many of our key pieces and just need to inject games into them. As these guys get older they will push out all the list cloggers we have and we have a few. We just need to keep finding value in our trades so we can hold onto our precious draft picks like we have been doing since Bolton and SOS have been in charge.

For the now Simpson can take that half back spot cause who knows how long he can go on, Kreuzer can hold the ruck till his replacement comes/is ready. I'd like to see Murphy play half forward to end his career and be a senior head in our weakest and youngest area on the ground and the rest of our senior players apart from Ed Curnow and maybe Liam Jones need to go ASAP.

Long post but I'm happy to hear any criticisms because perhaps I am overrating some of the youth.

5 years will be 3 years after Lukosius comes home.

Back