Carlton - What will Carlton's side look like in 2023?

Where will Carlton finish in five years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My view on Carlton's offseason (this is all in the mix/not 100% but a good chance of happening)
Adelaide trade: pick 8 + 13
Bulldogs trade: pick 5

then Adelaide trade: pick 5 and Mcgovern
Carlton trade: Pick 1

Carlton trade: 2019 first rounder
GWS trade: Dylan Shiel

Carlton pick up Miles in the preseason draft

sign Wallis in FA

Carlton use pick 5 on Smith or Rankine

Carlton end up with
Smith or Rankine
Shiel
McGovern
Miles
Wallis

i posted this on a different thread

Another Charlie Curnow type ?

Miles will not be in a pre-season draft.
Tigers would keep him as back up should a main mid go down or trade him for a good offer by club like Saints. He certainly will not be in a pre-season draft.
fair point

thats why i see sos trading big so he has a top 5 pick plus McGovern

Not convinced. McGovern makes little sense so do not see it being a priority. When you got much to make up in mids to get viable, adding another tall when we got plenty seems out of touch for mine. You going to put the few resources you got to get more mids in.

My view on Carlton's offseason (this is all in the mix/not 100% but a good chance of happening)

sign Wallis in FA

Carlton end up with
Smith or Rankine
Shiel
McGovern
Miles
Wallis

How much did you pay for that ticket to fantasy land?

Blatant troll is blatant.

Ok mate, not sure how any of that perfectly reasonable post was trolling but you go ahead. Carlton is in great shape and every kid you draft is elite.

Wouldn't be shocked if Cripps, Curnow, Docherty, Dow, Marchbank, Fisher, Kennedy are the only ones to survive from the current list in five years time.

Question marks over LOB given his frame, he was always a weird pick. I loved SPS last season, but this year he has been incredibly soft. If Weitering has another bad year he'll need to get out of there - he's not on track. Who knows with McKay. Williamson has shown form, but I'm not confident saying he's a banker.
Question mark over O'brien? You should try and watch a Carlton game, has shown plenty in a side getting flogged every week. Has only played about 9 games and has improved every week, your not on here to talk sense are you?

Kerridge, Lamb, Casboult, Jones & Wright will not be there. Jones if he improves on his kamikaze defence play, may be reasonable key defence depth. Rather work with Macreadie.

O'Brien on wing where Kerridge turfed and Byrne across half back where you had O'Brien.
Walsh in the 22, Wright retired.

Dynasty fully unleashed by 2025. Premiership 20 by end of 2030. Good times!!!:thumbsu::cool:
For your first point I said if no list changes were made.
And I rate Kerridge as a good best 22 player.

Ok mate, not sure how any of that perfectly reasonable post was trolling but you go ahead. Carlton is in great shape and every kid you draft is elite.

Most of your second paragraph is pure dribble. LOB a weird pick? SPS soft? Weitering not on track? Just rubbish.

Where did I say Carlton are in great shape and that every kid we draft is elite? More rubbish.

Most of your second paragraph is pure dribble. LOB a weird pick? SPS soft? Weitering not on track? Just rubbish.

Where did I say Carlton are in great shape and that every kid we draft is elite? More rubbish.
Weitering is quite clearly not where he was projected to be. SPS has been skirting contests all season. LOB was predicted to go lower because of his frame, I generally think lower sides should favour bigger bodied kids.

Weitering is quite clearly not where he was projected to be. SPS has been skirting contests all season. LOB was predicted to go lower because of his frame, I generally think lower sides should favour bigger bodied kids.

Why's that? You take the talent first and build the body.
Yes, do bring in some depth with the bigger bodies but do this via DFA's, rookies etc. You don't waste a pick on a body shape.

What exactly is wrong with O'Briens frame? He's really not that skinny kid you may think he is.
Your other two points are correct though, but after no pre-season, SPS has finally started to put his body on the line.

One more thing: Who knows what the main squad will look like in two years let alone five?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why's that? You take the talent first and build the body.
Yes, do bring in some depth with the bigger bodies but do this via DFA's, rookies etc. You don't waste a pick on a body shape.

What exactly is wrong with O'Briens frame? He's really not that skinny kid you may think he is.
Your other two points are correct though, but after no pre-season, SPS has finally started to put his body on the line.

One more thing: Who knows what the main squad will look like in two years let alone five?
O'Brien has honestly surprised me with how competitive he has been at AFL level, but I'm still skeptical over the pick itself rather than the kid who is doing his best. Reason I think you go bigger frame is that lower sides needs their kids to contribute more than higher teams. Richmond can have Graham or Higgins running around in their 50 because they have the bodies and talent to protect them, neither would get a kick for the Blues or Suns. Curnow and Cripps are immensely talented, but they have almost developed themselves given their frames were in good shape already from a size/muscular POV - all Carlton had to do was trim the puppy fat. Its not a hard and fast rule, but Melbourne took Oliver when Parish was supposedly the more fancied pick. Parish has talent but can't get himself involved enough, Oliver was a gun from day one. If Parish puts it all together he might have more weapons than Oliver, but Essendon are waiting three years and counting for that to happen.

O'Brien has honestly surprised me with how competitive he has been at AFL level, but I'm still skeptical over the pick itself rather than the kid who is doing his best. Reason I think you go bigger frame is that lower sides needs their kids to contribute more than higher teams. Richmond can have Graham or Higgins running around in their 50 because they have the bodies and talent to protect them, neither would get a kick for the Blues or Suns. Curnow and Cripps are immensely talented, but they have almost developed themselves given their frames were in good shape already from a size/muscular POV - all Carlton had to do was trim the puppy fat. Its not a hard and fast rule, but Melbourne took Oliver when Parish was supposedly the more fancied pick. Parish has talent but can't get himself involved enough, Oliver was a gun from day one. If Parish puts it all together he might have more weapons than Oliver, but Essendon are waiting three years and counting for that to happen.

I understand where you're coming from, but what you and I don't know, is what's on the table this year and next.

In a rebuild we have to first put the right players for their right positions and then tinker around the edges later.
If O'Brien was deemed to be a part of the bigger puzzle then he has to be taken and not to worry about others that may be seen to be an immediate fix.
Carlton did recruit Kennedy though, to be that big-bodied support and drive out of the middle, but along with many others have spent a good part of the pre-season and season-proper, injured. It's been a mess of a year for many reasons, but I don't think it's quite a dogs breakfast. Time will tell.

sign Wallis in FA

Carlton end up with
Smith or Rankine
Shiel
McGovern
Miles
Wallis

Why don't Adelaide just trade straight to Carlton instead of having to go through Bulldogs?
Then if Carlton don't accept, they can work out a three-way trade

I don't know the value of next years draft, but if we utilise next years picks, we can bring in Brodie, Ellis-Yolmen, Shiel, Wallis, Lloyd and Mcgovern for a rearrangement of this years picks. That will be fantastic for our future, and push up up the ladder, while creating depth

I don't know the value of next years draft, but if we utilise next years picks, we can bring in Brodie, Ellis-Yolmen, Shiel, Wallis, Lloyd and Mcgovern for a rearrangement of this years picks. That will be fantastic for our future, and push up up the ladder, while creating depth

I don't really get excited with the 'players in the system' trade scenarios, we've already gone through the hard yards to bring in elite youth, so straying from that now seems nonsensical. Free agents will become easier to attract as the side matures.

I don't really get excited with the 'players in the system' trade scenarios, we've already gone through the hard yards to bring in elite youth, so straying from that now seems nonsensical. Free agents will become easier to attract as the side matures.

There won’t be much maturing without mature aged players coming in beforehand. These 18-20 year olds won’t be able to walk themselves through the next few years, they need immediate on-field assistance.

SOS' 4 year rebuild is at its 4th year, which means bringing in 22-26 year-olds, like it or not, it's there

There won’t be much maturing without mature aged players coming in beforehand. These 18-20 year olds won’t be able to walk themselves through the next few years, they need immediate on-field assistance.

They're developing okay, we'd love to land a f.a or 2 but they aren't as attracted to the present cellar dwellers. It doesn't make sense to avert from a youth policy half way through it.

It takes as long as it takes, very good draft to be at the top end, no point giving it up for short-term needs.
It's a 4-year plan, and a 22-year-old will last us 10-12 years. A 26-year-old will last us 6-8. Short term my ass
We can't panic and throw the walls at top end talent, but we also can't panic by bringing in too many young players. We can turn pick 1 into McGovern, 12 and Ellis-Yolmen, which keeps us with a 2nd tier pick and brings in some youth (22, 25). Then we can turn pick 23 into Brodie and Scrimshaw/Fiorini. We don't need bottom end youth, we just need to stick to our plans

It's a 4-year plan, and a 22-year-old will last us 10-12 years. A 26-year-old will last us 6-8. Short term my ass
We can't panic and throw the walls at top end talent, but we also can't panic by bringing in too many young players. We can turn pick 1 into McGovern, 12 and Ellis-Yolmen, which keeps us with a 2nd tier pick and brings in some youth (22, 25). Then we can turn pick 23 into Brodie and Scrimshaw/Fiorini. We don't need bottom end youth, we just need to stick to our plans

Ellis -Yolmen has no great value, particularly in a discussion about pick one. 'Stick to our plans', you make it sound set in concrete. Everything is fluid- it's a very good year to hold pick one, I'm enjoying looking at all scenarios.

B ??? Weitering ???
HB ??? Marchbank Docherty
C ??? ??? O'Brien
HF ??? Curnow SPS
F ??? ??? ???
Foll ??? Dow Fisher
Int Kennedy ??? ??? ???

Filled in with what CFC supporters would hope comes off:

B: Byrne Weitering ???
HB Williamson Marchbank Docherty
C Garlett Cripps O'Brien
HF Pickett Curnow SPS
F ??? McKay ???
Foll De Koning Dow Fisher
Int Kennedy ??? ??? ???

Of those, Garlett and Pickett are the ones that look least likely. However I think its clear that CFC is willing to give each of them time to develop.
No one would have seen De Koning yet but he has big wraps on him and has just signed a large contract extension.

Back