Carlton will be fine

Remove this Banner Ad

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I know a lot of blues fans are hurting, but honestly, this feels like the kind of lumps most premiership teams go through.

In 2012, Richmond lost three games by less than a kick in a row to the suns, roos and blues. They also drew to the power and if Richmond won all those four games, they make finals.

In 2013, Richmond made finals, yay. They then played the ninth placed Carlton and were up by 26 points, only to lose in embarrassing fashion. They lead North by 21 points early in the 2015 final, only to fall in a heap. They got annihilated by Port in 2014. Those losses were incredibly painful, but also instructive.

Then 2016 happened and the team looked like a shambles.

My point is that development is never linear and there's always heartache and disappointment on the way. I think that many young blues players got nervous in the last quarter, having never played in a finals type atmosphere in a do-or-die situation. They'll be better for the experience and this game will help sort out who can stand up and who can't. Collingwood were a more experienced side and many of their players like Pendlebury, Elliot, Maynard, Sidebottom, Crisp, Moore etc. have finals experience. However, Carlton have built a game around contested possession which does stack up in finals. Their spine of Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Young (who I thought played a really good game), Pittonet is good. A midfield of Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy, Hewett is deep and good enough. They're also a young side which will improve.

I think Carlton's next step is to find players who can score besides Curnow and McKay. If they're not firing, Carlton don't kick that many goals. Their third best goalscorer this year was Cripps. Thing is, I think Carlton have a lot of the pieces which are hard to find. A spine and a good contested midfield is something everyone needs and only some have. A guy like Stengle who can score through nous and speed would do them a lot of good.

Honestly, I think this is a good year for the blues; they've won 4 more games than last year and their percentage improved by over 20%. If you're looking at season KPIs, they hit a lot of them. Losses like these hurt, and I still remember the painful ones for the tigers. But if you ask any tigers fan if they still cared that they lost all those close games in 2012, I doubt they will as they've seen success. Do we know that the blues will achieve success in the future? No, but losses like these don't prove that they won't in the coming years.

Either this lights a fire under Carlton, or they fall in a heap. If they're like Geelong, Richmond, Melbourne etc. a fire is lit.

crash-burn.gif

In the end I think it's going to take oppo supporters who watch us on TV two or three times a year a lot longer to get over it than Carlton supporters.

It'll be right - round 1 we weren't expected to do anything this year. Do better next year and we will have earned it well.

Last edited:
The season certainly went astray from the "guaranteed premiership season" that was spruiked by many Carlton fans earlier in the year.

The season certainly went astray from the "guaranteed premiership season" that was spruiked by many Carlton fans earlier in the year.
Gotta live in the moment mate, enjoy the highs whilst they are there. Thought as a North supporter you'd understand this as your mob has just finished carrying on like you have just won the premiership despite coming last with 2 wins for the whole year.

troll dancing GIF

Gotta live in the moment mate, enjoy the highs whilst they are there. Thought as a North supporter you'd understand this as your mob has just finished carrying on like you have just won the premiership despite coming last with 2 wins for the whole year.

Hi mate, not sure what North has to do with this thread. Please try to be less sensitive and stay on topic.

Carlton did alot of good things this year, however the gap between our best and our worst is still far too great. Hopefully we can improve on this next year. Had we not coughed up huge leads to Hawthorn and Port earlier in the season we could very well be playing finals.

We also need alot more game awareness. Two weeks in a row we were in a winning position deep into the 4th quarter only to find a way to lose both of these games.

Two weeks in a row we were in a winning position deep into the 4th quarter only to find a way to lose both of these games.
I think you aren't giving the opposition enough credit. They also found a way to win, and it was doing what they had done all game. We could take control for a quarter or two, but it fell their way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you aren't giving the opposition enough credit. They also found a way to win, and it was doing what they had done all game. We could take control for a quarter or two, but it fell their way.

If it were anyone but 2022 Collingwood, Carlton would be playing finals. Prick of an opponent to come up against with so much on the line.

Of course. Both Melbourne and Collingwood really pushed hard in the last quarter.
However, there were numerous mistakes made against Melbourne, particularly after Charlies goal put us 7 points in front. Good teams don't lose from there.
And against Collingwood, kicking 0.6 to 5.1 in the final quarter is horrific, considering most of them weren't tough shots. And the shot from Charlie that didn't make the distance from 30m out.

Definitely some bad kicking that let the side down. But it's not like Charlie hasn't done the job all year. He and Harry are allowed a few bad kicks. Sucks when they are that impactful.

In the end I think it's going to take oppo supporters a lot longer to get over it than Carlton supporters who watch us on TV two or three times a year.

It'll be right - round 1 we weren't expected to do anything this year. Do better next year and we will have earned it well.
They made an interesting observation on "On The Couch" last night about Carlton's expectations for the year. Given Teague was given the lemonade and sars for, among other things, not making finals, should there be more scrutiny on the Blues at the end of 2022? They got players back, improved according to most pundits, yet still missed the finals??

I think neutral fans were a lot more shocked by the result than Carlton fans.

I'm sure I wasn't the only Blues supporter who went into 3/4 time 100% certain that they would throw it away. Too many players who are just not mentally ready/capable to step up in big moments. The Melbourne game suggested it, the Collingwood game confirmed it.

Interesting to see whether the last two weeks makes the group, or has damaged them.

They made an interesting observation on "On The Couch" last night about Carlton's expectations for the year. Given Teague was given the lemonade and sars for, among other things, not making finals, should there be more scrutiny on the Blues at the end of 2022? They got players back, improved according to most pundits, yet still missed the finals??

If we miss finals in 2023 that will mean we have stagnated or regressed.

An extra 4 wins and approximately 20% from a young list and a coach in his first year at the club is enough to escape criticism for now.

Of course. Both Melbourne and Collingwood really pushed hard in the last quarter.
However, there were numerous mistakes made against Melbourne, particularly after Charlies goal put us 7 points in front. Good teams don't lose from there.
And against Collingwood, kicking 0.6 to 5.1 in the final quarter is horrific, considering most of them weren't tough shots. And the shot from Charlie that didn't make the distance from 30m out.
Maybe lacking a combination of leadership and composure.
Can't underestimate the pressure went up another notch in both those games.

As much as I'd like to see them down in the dumps, they should be fine for a long time.

They have a premiership caliber list. 2 Coleman medal winners in the forward line, could use a small but Motlop could definitely take another step soon. An absolutely stacked midfield, with arguably two top 10 mids. A solid defence with an AA FB as the cornerstone. Last 5 of the 22 could probably be improved but you could say that for almost every team.

The worst thing about this is that all their good players are pretty young, I would be surprised if they are not good for a long time. It would take some terrible injury luck and bad coaching.

I think neutral fans were a lot more shocked by the result than Carlton fans.

I'm sure I wasn't the only Blues supporter who went into 3/4 time 100% certain that they would throw it away. Too many players who are just not mentally ready/capable to step up in big moments. The Melbourne game suggested it, the Collingwood game confirmed it.

Interesting to see whether the last two weeks makes the group, or has damaged them.
Ha, yep same here (unfortunately)

Siren went for 3/4 and I literally turned to the wifey and said watch us lose this from here, nothing surer. We need to be up by roughly 30 points halfway through the last before I relax these days lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back