Oppo Camp Carlton worst season in 122 years: The Evil of Patrick Cripps...

I love seeing Carlton lose

• Yes

Votes: 199 90.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 91 41.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it been confirmed that Mick was a sleeper agent designed to take them down from the inside? He brings in Daisy on one leg and huge money, sells Betts, Garlett and Waite to pay for him. Betts, Garlett and Waite would have all been Carlton's leading goalkickers in the past five seasons. Daisy has struggled to get a game at AFL level between injury and form woes. If that's not blatant sabotage, I don't know what is.
Not a sleeper, just the bloke who said: "They're my boys. I could never coach against them."

News Flash - new marketing team at Carlton looking to introduce a new off field wardrobe for 2019.
It's a brilliant initiative encapsulating their desire to cook, their appetite for all things Collingwood and their collection of spoons.
Resulting in a whole new colour scheme and uniform to be worn by all staff.
Bolton was asked to go first...
iu

Followed by Sos...
iu

Murphy wasn't sure...
iu

Daisy said it'll be fine boys...
iu

And Cripps said I'm sure I can make it work...
iu

And then Bolts said sorry guys I really can't do the whole black and white thing, how about his?
iu

Surely I am misinterpreting something here.
Does that mean we have never gone two games in a row without scoring 100 points.
I find that very hard to believe.
I'm not sure how feasible the tally is but I got a laugh from it none the less.
We scored under 100 4 times in a row before the north game so it's not accurate.

Does that mean we have never gone two games in a row without scoring 100 points.
I took that to mean the current streak for each club... i.e. “how many games since your club last cracked the ton?”

Has it been confirmed that Mick was a sleeper agent designed to take them down from the inside? He brings in Daisy on one leg and huge money, sells Betts, Garlett and Waite to pay for him. Betts, Garlett and Waite would have all been Carlton's leading goalkickers in the past five seasons. Daisy has struggled to get a game at AFL level between injury and form woes. If that's not blatant sabotage, I don't know what is.

Awarded Collingwood lIfe membership in 2017, MYTH CONFIRMED

qwVQtM7lBA8cxoZBQAJpOLXsL7-RPISMocOwHEBHL7TFUvSjHDRanMzNhBFOUh2rduC0EkkYRSqzwbnzZxZYb5qpXhyQvng=w384-h384-nc

Looking at the list in the Favourites thread only confirms what a dud Silvagni is at Carlton.

He went back to Carlton in 2015 and all? Players named in the thread have been drafted in 2015 onwards.

No wonder he was antsy in the interview.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What ever happened to Blatant Bokworst wtf his name is.. yet again another brilliant high draft coop from the Carl****ed fc
Boooootsma?
Played 14 games.

Boooootsma?
Played 14 games.
No, Blaine Bokehurst.

Played 25 games in 3 years, nearly all of them s**t. Drafted pick 19 in 2014. WA mature age recruit.

Rumour was Ess bluffed them in to taking him early.:D

It's been a great 15 or so years but sadly now is the time we have to prepare for the worst.

Enjoy the last 5 weeks of this thread.. because then the 66 game rebuild will have been reached... and Carlton will be back.

I took that to mean the current streak for each club... i.e. “how many games since your club last cracked the ton?”
^That's precisely what it is. Gold Coast have now had 15 games in a row without scoring 100 points+, 5 games for Port Adelaide etc.

Carlton's run of 50 games is only the longest in the "AFL era"; it's the (equal) 24th longest such run in the competition's history. Gold Coast went 34 games spread over 2011-2012, with Melbourne 31 games during 2013-2014. Collingwood's longest run from 1990 onwards is 14: Rd. 12 2014 - Rd. 2 2015. The most recent patch of 50+ games where a team failed to score 100 points was Footscray: Rd. 5 1964 - Rd. 10 1968 - 78 games played without reaching that figure.

The competition record is 172 for St Kilda - Rd. 1 1897 - Rd. 5 1907. Fitzroy had 139 games in succession in the early years, Carlton 133, University 126 (every game they played) and South Melbourne 122 games. They're the top five.

Collingwood's longest ever run of games without scoring 100 points+ is 53, stretching from Sectional Rd. 2 (Rd. 16) 1898 - Rd. 16 1901.

After Footscray in 1967, the only years where a team has gone through a season without a 100 point+ score have been: 1972 North Melbourne, 2014 Melbourne and 2017 Carlton.

^That's precisely what it is. Gold Coast have now had 15 games in a row without scoring 100 points+, 5 games for Port Adelaide etc.

Carlton's run of 50 games is only the longest in the "AFL era"; it's the (equal) 24th longest such run in the competition's history. Gold Coast went 34 games spread over 2011-2012, with Melbourne 31 games during 2013-2014. Collingwood's longest run from 1990 onwards is 14: Rd. 12 2014 - Rd. 2 2015. The most recent patch of 50+ games where a team failed to score 100 points was Footscray: Rd. 5 1964 - Rd. 10 1968 - 78 games played without reaching that figure.

The competition record is 172 for St Kilda - Rd. 1 1897 - Rd. 5 1907. Fitzroy had 139 games in succession in the early years, Carlton 133, University 126 (every game they played) and South Melbourne 122 games. They're the top five.

Collingwood's longest ever run of games without scoring 100 points+ is 53, stretching from Sectional Rd. 2 (Rd. 16) 1898 - Rd. 16 1901.

After Footscray in 1967, the only years where a team has gone through a season without a 100 point+ score have been: 1972 North Melbourne, 2014 Melbourne and 2017 Carlton.
Thanks for the reply.
Would be nice if you added a bit of detail in your reply though. :p

One reason I think the AFL shouldn’t be considering the wholesale rule changes is that it undermines the games dataset heritage.

Eg: if they make a change that has the effect of doubling the scoring to give the fans double the amount to cheer about in game - then suddenly stats like this one that date back to the 1800’s become meaningless.

One reason I think the AFL shouldn’t be considering the wholesale rule changes is that it undermines the games dataset heritage.

Eg: if they make a change that has the effect of doubling the scoring to give the fans double the amount to cheer about in game - then suddenly stats like this one that date back to the 1800’s become meaningless.
Yes, I agree. I most definitely don't think in terms of the competition's modern day records being separate from the older records, and only mentioned "AFL era" in that post as plenty of people (sadly) seem to think that what happened 100 or so years ago isn't all that important.

For example, my best mate is a Hawthorn supporter, and he believes Collingwood's record four flags in a row is irrelevant today, because it happened so long ago. This infuriates me; his club (having entered the competition in 1925) didn't play finals until 1957!! Yet he thinks Gold Coast should be booted out because they've achieved nothing in their first eight years!

Scoring in the early years of the competition was obviously very low, it's far higher these days, even though we're currently going through a bit of a down patch. Still, you can't just leave out parts of the competition's very long history when it suits. For (another) example, Essendon now hold the record for the highest first quarter score (94 points); that was against Gold Coast in 2011. Should that be removed from the game's records simply because the Suns were brand new and utterly useless at that stage?! Of course not, just like St Kilda's all-time League low score of 0.1 (1), set in 1899 can stand forever and doesn't need to be forgotten.

Edit: Bit of an afterthought! When Dermott Brereton kicked 8 goals in the 1985 Grand Final it was talked about as a new record for a GF (I'm pretty positive that happened). In 1989 Gary Ablett scored 9 and that was supposed to be the new record. Yet our man Gordon Coventry kicked 9 goals (in a GF) way back in 1928. So perhaps people ignoring records from the game's earlier years is not just a recent phenomenon!

I don't like to see the "re-writing of history", and think if people are talking about records that are just from the modern era/AFL era that they need to point this out. Carlton's 50 games in a row of not scoring 100 points+ is a good example of this, as many people may believe that they have set a new all-time record, when they haven't even gone close!

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. I most definitely don't think in terms of the competition's modern day records being separate from the older records, and only mentioned "AFL era" in that post as plenty of people (sadly) seem to think that what happened 100 or so years ago isn't all that important.

I reckon it’s all about context. I wouldn’t begrudge a GWS supporter for not having too much interest in records from the 1800’s.

For example, my best mate is a Hawthorn supporter, and he believes Collingwood's record four flags in a row is irrelevant today, because it happened so long ago. This infuriates me; his club (having entered the competition in 1925) didn't play finals until 1957!! Yet he thinks Gold Coast should be booted out because they've achieved nothing in their first eight years!

He’s trolling you. Don’t let your salty tears fuel him ;)

Seriously but, one of the interesting aspects of debating stats is debating their relevance. The old adage “Lies, damned lies, and statistics” is such a truism when folks cherry pick a statistic to justify a position. You can find a statistic to justify any position - politicians do it all the time. “GDP has gone up by $5 billion!!” announces one party, “GDP has gone down 3% per capita!!” retorts their opposition. “Ah, but the per capita decline is attributed to a spike in the birth rate!” And so it goes back and forth. IMO understanding what’s behind the statistics is as interesting as the statistics themselves.

Scoring in the early years of the competition was obviously very low, it's far higher these days, even though we're currently going through a bit of a down patch. Still, you can't just leave out parts of the competition's very long history when it suits. For (another) example, Essendon now hold the record for the highest first quarter score (94 points); that was against Gold Coast in 2011. Should that be removed from the game's records simply because the Suns were brand new and utterly useless at that stage?! Of course not, just like St Kilda's all-time League low score of 0.1 (1), set in 1899 can stand forever and doesn't need to be forgotten.

Edit: Bit of an afterthought! When Dermott Brereton kicked 8 goals in the 1985 Grand Final it was talked about as a new record for a GF (I'm pretty positive that happened). In 1989 Gary Ablett scored 9 and that was supposed to be the new record. Yet our man Gordon Coventry kicked 9 goals (in a GF) way back in 1928. So perhaps people ignoring records from the game's earlier years is not just a recent phenomenon!

I guess it’s all about slicing and dicing and fudging the stats in a way that makes supporters proud of their team. The caller of a Grand Final can happily announce Gary Ablett has kicked the Grand Final goal scoring record and Cats supporters can feel good about themselves - and how many people are going to argue? The commentators would probably only treat the “since 1929” qualifier if it was Collingwood that was the other team in the GF. It’s all grist for the mill.

It is good that we understand history so that we can (amongst other reasons) keep folks honest.

I don't like to see the "re-writing of history", and think if people are talking about records that are just from the modern era/AFL era that they need to point this out. Carlton's 50 games in a row of not scoring 100 points+ is a good example of this, as many people may believe that they have set a new all-time record, when they haven't even gone close!

Sometimes it’s best to just let sleeping dogs lie, this example is one of those occasions :D ;)

——

On another topic, you’ve referred to some Argus stuff before. Do you see much difference between what folks were posting to Argus ‘letters to the editor’ back in the day, versus what folks are posting on Bigfooty today?

It's been a great 15 or so years but sadly now is the time we have to prepare for the worst.

Enjoy the last 5 weeks of this thread.. because then the 66 game rebuild will have been reached... and Carlton will be back.
Oh well.
Carlton will be back to running sausage sizzles after they unveil their rebuilt BBQ facilities.
Amazing it took 66 games though....must be a huge BBQ

FreeBBQArticle_620X370.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back