Club Focus Carlton 2020 - Williams, Fogarty, Saad, Durdin, Carroll

AFL Club Focus

What should Carlton prioritise this off-season?

• Recruiting through the draft

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Targeting a big fish

Votes: 47 64.4%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Any truth in the whisper that Mitch McGovern may be shopped around?
Hope so, has being disappointing I’d trade McGovern and sweetener for a mature bodied, skilled top notch midfielder, Blues would then be be in a much stronger position. A good B+ contributor for engine room would do fine too.

Hope so, has being disappointing I’d trade McGovern and sweetener for a mature bodied, skilled top notch midfielder, Blues would then be be in a much stronger position. A good B+ contributor for engine room would do fine too.
The Gov hate is a little ridiculous.
Was recruited as a 3rd tall and has barely had a chance to play that role. Injuries to Charlie, McKay and even Kreuz, have affected where and how he's been played. A fwd line of Charlie, McKay and Gov is pretty formidable for most defences. It's mobile, strong marking and good at ground level. All three can push up the ground to provide tall, marking link up play, or play deep or on the lead and good in packs.
Also had his own share of injuries that have slowed him at different points.
He was actually one of the top rated key fwds in AFL ratings points for the season earlier in the year before getting injured (was averaging around 8 ratings points per game from memory). Offers more than just goals.
1602033251151.png

Was recruited as a 3rd tall and has barely had a chance to play that role. Injuries to Charlie, McKay and even Kreuz, have affected where and how he's been played. A fwd line of Charlie, McKay and Gov is pretty formidable for most defences. It's mobile, strong marking and good at ground level. All three can push up the ground to provide tall, marking link up play, or play deep or on the lead and good in packs.
He was actually one of the top rated key fwds in AFL ratings points for the season earlier in the year before getting injured (was averaging around 8 ratings points per game from memory). Offers more than just goals.
View attachment 979426

Let's get one thing clear - it's not hate.
If a club pays a round 1 pick for you (top price), we expect a return and ignoring all the excuses above, which are excuses, he hasn't performed even 20% of what is expected. He needs to earn the new clubs respect and has failed in 2 years. 2 YEARS.

Let's get one thing clear - it's not hate.
If a club pays a round 1 pick for you (top price), we expect a return and ignoring all the excuses above, which are excuses, he hasn't performed even 20% of what is expected. He needs to earn the new clubs respect and has failed in 2 years. 2 YEARS.
Excuse is just another word for reason. These are reasons why he hasn't yet lived up to the potential. Reasonable reasons too. I would have thought the first 6 games this year showed what he's capable of.

View attachment 979426
Those stats don't help your cause one bit. Averaging less than 10 disposals and just over 1 goal a game.

Those stats don't help your cause one bit. Averaging less than 10 disposals and just over 1 goal a game.
Not sure what more you were expecting. He's averaged about 10 disposals over his career and gone at just over a goal a game.
He kicked 8 in 6 games before his form dropped off. I'll back him in to be a very useful cog once we have a functioning fwd line with better delivery.

Hypothetical for Blues supporters, would a swap for Connor Blakely interest you? 24yr old big bodied midfield extractor of the footy with somewhat questionable disposal skills. He's behind Fyfe and Mundy for this role at the Dockers with some seriously good young blood coming through behind him. Seems like an area of need for Blues to assist Cripps while excess for us and it appears that this exactly the same for Gov at the Blues with a good young forward line coming on - bit of a win / win? Might need some 3rd/4th round picks thrown in to sweeten the deal ?

Both Saad and Williams are damaging players that fill important holes on Carlton's list.

But what's this talk about Cripps moving west?

Not sure what more you were expecting. He's averaged about 10 disposals over his career and gone at just over a goal a game.
He kicked 8 in 6 games before his form dropped off. I'll back him in to be a very useful cog once we have a functioning fwd line with better delivery.

For $800k per season, I expect more than 5-10 minutes every other game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both Saad and Williams are damaging players that fill important holes on Carlton's list.

But what's this talk about Cripps moving west?
Cripps in talks to extend contract during offseason. Is happy with how the club is tracking and loving his time there. Wants to finish what he has started.
His partner unfortunately suffers with severe mental health issues but I don't know if she is from Victoria or WA. Could potentially be WA and the reason for the rumours.

Cripps in talks to extend contract during offseason. Is happy with how the club is tracking and loving his time there. Wants to finish what he has started.
His partner unfortunately suffers with severe mental health issues but I don't know if she is from Victoria or WA. Could potentially be WA and the reason for the rumours.
He'll enjoy success in WA

For $800k per season, I expect more than 5-10 minutes every other game.
Let's keep unconfirmed numbers out of the conversation. I heard it was nowhere near that and not much more than what Crows were offering him.

Hypothetical for Blues supporters, would a swap for Connor Blakely interest you? 24yr old big bodied midfield extractor of the footy with somewhat questionable disposal skills. He's behind Fyfe and Mundy for this role at the Dockers with some seriously good young blood coming through behind him. Seems like an area of need for Blues to assist Cripps while excess for us and it appears that this exactly the same for Gov at the Blues with a good young forward line coming on - bit of a win / win? Might need some 3rd/4th round picks thrown in to sweeten the deal ?
Setterfield has been tracking along nicely in support of Cripps. Looks primed for a breakout year next year, in what will be his 3rd full season after barely getting a run at it with GWS due to injuries.
We are also bringing Williams in as a mid. Saad coming in allows SPS to go back to the middle, which also allows Walsh to spend more time at the coal face.
And then we have Kemp sitting in the wings waiting to debut. Kennedy, Dow, Silvagni, Stocker struggling to get games despite playing well in the reserves matches that were getting played.
I think Blakely would be a fair way down the pecking order, although I don't really know much about him.

Setterfield has been tracking along nicely in support of Cripps. Looks primed for a breakout year next year, in what will be his 3rd full season after barely getting a run at it with GWS due to injuries.
We are also bringing Williams in as a mid. Saad coming in allows SPS to go back to the middle, which also allows Walsh to spend more time at the coal face.
And then we have Kemp sitting in the wings waiting to debut. Kennedy, Dow, Silvagni, Stocker struggling to get games despite playing well in the reserves matches that were getting played.
I think Blakely would be a fair way down the pecking order, although I don't really know much about him.
I'm hoping SPS goes back into the middle too. Especially with Newman also being fit 👌

Can't hide your jealousy very well when you come out with the old brown paper bags gag, all that does is confirm the Carlton FC are living rent free in your head for your entire life.
Lol ...wtf ?
think you overrated your clubs relevance .

It’s very simple.

Your first mistake is thinking Martin is on $1m a year. He’s on closer to 650k. But, since we took advantage of the 105% rule, we paid him a big chunk of his wage this year, which would have been more then 1m, perhaps even as high as 1.5m. Next year? Well, we can pay him less than 650k, since he already got the money this year. That’s how front loading works. That’s why we took that option.

And who exactly are the star players on our list getting a ton of money? McGovern? Sure, he’s been paid 700k (certainly not 800k as some believe). But his contract ends next year and he’ll most definitely be taking a pay cut or finding a new home. Cripps? Yep, he’s going to be paid a lot, probably close to 1m. Outside of that, we don’t have any stars. McKay is about to re-sign on a modest wage. We‘re a team of role players and young kids.
Aaarrrrr love it when fans talk like they know their clubs cap structure !
Don’t get me wrong , not a direct shot at you , all club boards have people on them doing the same thing ......just makes me smile is all .

I mean this doesn't tell me anything but how Carlton having the cap is just a wish of yours.

So if you're capped out on the maximum 105% this year, Martin's $1 mil a year contract extends also to 2021 (so no relief here). Then, where are you guys getting the $1.5 mil from, for Williams/Saad without losing a star player?

You do know about backloading and frontloading contracts right...it's how Richmond picked up Lynch straight after winning a premiership.

No mate. You have it all wrong. Just funny Carlton supporters think Oliver would go there.
I don't think he is coming to carlton just having fun watch you worry that he might.

And NO, I have you pegged straight mate I don't mind if you cant admit it.

It’s very simple.

Your first mistake is thinking Martin is on $1m a year. He’s on closer to 650k. But, since we took advantage of the 105% rule, we paid him a big chunk of his wage this year, which would have been more then 1m, perhaps even as high as 1.5m. Next year? Well, we can pay him less than 650k, since he already got the money this year. That’s how front loading works. That’s why we took that option.

And who exactly are the star players on our list getting a ton of money? McGovern? Sure, he’s been paid 700k (certainly not 800k as some believe). But his contract ends next year and he’ll most definitely be taking a pay cut or finding a new home. Cripps? Yep, he’s going to be paid a lot, probably close to 1m. Outside of that, we don’t have any stars. McKay is about to re-sign on a modest wage. We‘re a team of role players and young kids.
I mean did you not see the link I sent? I swear like why do I even try providing evidence when Carlton supporters struggle with reading comprehension anyways....

The article states that Martin is NOT ONLY on 1 Mil this year BUT ALSO on 1 mil next year too. That's literally how you screwed GC via PSD remember?...

Back