Club Focus Carlton 2020 - Williams, Fogarty, Saad, Durdin, Carroll

AFL Club Focus

What should Carlton prioritise this off-season?

• Recruiting through the draft

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Targeting a big fish

Votes: 47 64.4%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

Skull Face

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Lol ...wtf ?
think you overrated your clubs relevance .
You don't think still obsessing about something that happened over 20 years ago is a problem? The poster clearly has a mental issue when it comes to Carlton that is a fact.

Aaarrrrr love it when fans talk like they know their clubs cap structure !
Don’t get me wrong , not a direct shot at you , all club boards have people on them doing the same thing ......just makes me smile is all .
You love it when opposition fans think they know your cap space and automatically assume you're tight because you recruited a couple of players.

Not a dig at you because you haven't said so at least not in this post but need I remind you this is a list that won 1 in 30 odd games to the middle of last year that would have been lucky to have 5 players getting above minimum wage, you don't have to be a brain surgeon to see there is lots of free cash to be had.

carlton2dabone

Premiership Player
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I mean this doesn't tell me anything but how Carlton having the cap is just a wish of yours.

So if you're capped out on the maximum 105% this year, Martin's $1 mil a year contract extends also to 2021 (so no relief here). Then, where are you guys getting the $1.5 mil from, for Williams/Saad without losing a star player?

This year 2020 we spent 95% of our cap space even with Martins front loaded contract factored in as well as Kreuzer and Simpson meaning we can use 105% next year for 2021.

Replace Kreuzer and Simpsons salaries pretty much with Williams and Saad (give or take a 100-200k one way or the other) and we still have plenty all of the extra cap space we saved up last few years for a a-grade player!

Skull Face

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I mean do Carlton supporters just not read? I was literally just replying to his claim that there has only been 3 players on 500k+ in the previous years...

Mods, if trolling is bannable, surely being delusional is too?
A post in which you stated the year previous to 2020 was 2020, yes you should be banned

Carl

All Australian
Dec 26, 2000
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's keep unconfirmed numbers out of the conversation. I heard it was nowhere near that and not much more than what Crows were offering him.
I'm more concerned of the confirmed numbers- 10 disposals and 1 goal a game. He hasn't improved at all since being at the club. He's gone backwards. How he keeps getting a game when he doesn't perform is unbelievable.

I hope he improves but i won't believe it until i see it. The money we are paying him he should be averaging 2 goals a game minimum.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond add Lynch to a premiership side and nobody panics, Carlton add Saad sitting 11th and everyone loses their minds.
Lol, Carlton would have front loaded everyone’s contracts.

For example if Cripps was on a 4 year 4 million dollar deal he probably received 3.5m in the first 2 years.. next 2 years 250k.

Either way they’d have heaps of cash and so they should.

BrownDog20

All Australian
Aug 12, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone feel Carlton almost need a Hodge sort of experienced leader come in like Brisbane did.

All their older players simply don’t know how to win when they are under pressure.

You do realise Carltons record in close games this year was very good. Not sure what you mean by can’t win under pressure.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
You do realise Carltons record in close games this year was very good. Not sure what you mean by can’t win under pressure.
Probably means they've lost a LOT of games, and presumes pressure was one of the reasons?

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Not sure what's happening down there with the massive overpays they're offering around.

Saad doesn't want to do the team thing, and just wants to play unaccountable football and run around like an unregistered dog. Williams is injury prone and hasn't proven himself to be a mid.

It's a lot of money to be offering.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Let's keep unconfirmed numbers out of the conversation. I heard it was nowhere near that and not much more than what Crows were offering him.
You heard wrong. It doesn't even make any sense.

He left for money. He was pissed he's signed for less, when Gibbs came in.

He was on about $550k at the Crows - already too much - and added another $200k a year when leaving for Carlton.

Anyway, unless salary cap problems stop Carltondoing things in the offseason, it's probably not relevant for this thread.

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Also 95% of salary cap is $12,120,190.25, 105% of salary cap is $13,395.999.75. The difference is $1,275,809.

Now, Williams is rumoured to be on 850k
(https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/carlton-zac-williams-overpaid-warren-tredrea-reaction/ffe0dfd3-c9bb-4a9d-9bce-0d5a83cebb20#:~:text=The Age footy reporter Sam,more than $850,000 per season.)

Saad on 650k (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/a718f8d63d6b45dc1b7f6827c9ad2e9d)

That sums up to $1,500,000, which is more than the difference between 95% and 105%. And look you might tell me the retiring of Simpson, Kreuzer could more than offset the rookies you bring in, the rookie promotions, the money you have set aside to extend contracts with Walsh, Mckay, Weitering etc.

But the problem is - Carlton was ALREADY on 105% this year?? (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-paying-105-per-cent-of-salary-cap-20200303-p546km.html). Sure if Jack Martin gets off his huge salary, and Carlton alleviates 700k from 105%, but then the whole from 95% to 105% cap theory becomes invalid, so how are you going to pay that extra 800k for Williams and Saad then?

Where is Carlton getting the money from? Cripps seeking a trade to WA confirmed?
To start with Williams is not on that much, secondly none of us have enough information to actually have an informed opinion on the matter. I'm sure the club knows what they're doing. Cripps is already contracted for next year, so your last point makes zero sense. We had enough to chase Papley and Coniglio last year, and like you mentioned Simpson and Kreuzer retiring would have opened up a fair amount.

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
So assuming your "last year" means 2020:

1. Mitch Mcgovern - 800k

2. Jack Martin - $1 mil for 2020 & 2021 (which means my previous idea that Carlton DOESN'T EVEN get Martin coming off his huge contract, his $1 mil salary extends into 2021

3. Patrick Cripps (well obviously 500k+)

4. Marc Murphy (Apparently on similar salary as Pendles, Cripps, Danger, so 750 - 950k?)

5. Matthew Kreuzer (700k)

Should I continue or?... Took me like 2 minutes to factually prove that your information is completely wrong.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On the other hand, people think we have salary cap problems just because of Grundy, De Goey and Moore when Carlton is paying $1 mil to Martin, 800k to Mcgovern and 700k to Kreuzer... Point is, 3 players don't make up the entire salary cap, stop basing your opinion of our cap based on 3/44 contracts.
Media reports on player salaries are known not to be close to factual.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Be serious, dude. You’ve been pushing the narrative that Carlton can’t afford a player like Oliver because we’re over the salary cap. Multiple Carlton people in this thread pointed out why that isn’t the case. We are paying 105% this year, but only because we front loaded Martin and only because we’ve been under the cap for years. We have plenty of cap space in 2021, when new contracts begin.

Not worth arguing with this Prochard poster...contracts and cap payments are so complicated with the various front and backloading it's impossible for any of us to know where things sit. But they'll proclaim to know all about it.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Not sure what's happening down there with the massive overpays they're offering around.

Saad doesn't want to do the team thing, and just wants to play unaccountable football and run around like an unregistered dog. Williams is injury prone and hasn't proven himself to be a mid.

Not sure about the injury prone thing. 22 games in 2016, 23 in 2017. Had an achilles that kept him out for most of 2018 (came back for 2 finals games). Played 24 games in 2019, in what was probably his best year.
Hamstring kept him out for 4 games early this season and was managed in rd16.
So that's an achilles and a hamstring in the last 5 years.
This was some of his mid work at GWS, when he got the chance.
Williams mid.png

90N90S

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton fans are pretty happy with how this trade period is going for us so far.

We might have another good player in our sights.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
You heard wrong. It doesn't even make any sense.

He left for money. He was pissed he's signed for less, when Gibbs came in.

He was on about $550k at the Crows - already too much - and added another $200k a year when leaving for Carlton.

Anyway, unless salary cap problems stop Carltondoing things in the offseason, it's probably not relevant for this thread.
Why would I listen to a bitter Crows supporter about an ex-player's contracts, or reason for leaving? What part of it doesn't make sense?

If it was for money, he had more on the table to return back to his home state in 2017, instead of staying at Crows for 'half the $$ and half the length' according to his manager.
Where is the $550k from? Where is the extra $200k from?
Ricciuto on Gov's contract extension prior to leaving: "The contract wasn't rushed. It took a long time to make happen, and he's on big money, as he should be."

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

You'd be very comfortable living in China or North Korea from the sounds of it.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m more talking about these huge lapses in games. Carlton look to be on the right track but their list sort of lacks anyone who’s really been there to say this is how it’s to be done.

Most of the top teams have 1/3 experienced players.

The leaders like Murphy and Simpson haven’t exactly had much experience at the pointy end of the season.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m more talking about these huge lapses in games.

Yeah they're inconsistent in games and have lapses. Also haven't really learned to put their foot down when in front and put in some big wins. Getting an old head may help. Getting rid of some older players and the younger brigade learning this for themselves could help as well. It's definitely something that prevented the team from making finals this year.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Carlton fans are pretty happy with how this trade period is going for us so far.

We might have another good player in our sights.
Garry Lyon said this on SEN this morning...any rumours as to who it might be? Are Carlton throwing their hat in the ring for Brad Crouch, or there was a rumour floating that Matt also had interested parties.

90N90S

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Garry Lyon said this on SEN this morning...any rumours as to who it might be? Are Carlton throwing their hat in the ring for Brad Crouch, or there was a rumour floating that Matt also had interested parties.

Something in the works at Carlton, one more player is the target not sure if they will be able to close the deal.

Back