Club Focus Carlton 2020 - Williams, Fogarty, Saad, Durdin, Carroll

AFL Club Focus

What should Carlton prioritise this off-season?

• Recruiting through the draft

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Targeting a big fish

Votes: 47 64.4%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m more talking about these huge lapses in games. Carlton look to be on the right track but their list sort of lacks anyone who’s really been there to say this is how it’s to be done.

Most of the top teams have 1/3 experienced players.

The leaders like Murphy and Simpson haven’t exactly had much experience at the pointy end of the season.
Betts (13 finals appearances) and Williams (11 finals) have both played in a grand final. Despite Carlton's record in recent history, Murphy has played in 6 finals games (4 elims and 2 semis). Gov (3 finals), Newman (3 finals), Ed Curnow (2 finals).
So there's 2 with good finals experience, one with reasonable, and another 3 with limited, but some experience.

Betts (13 finals appearances) and Williams (11 finals) have both played in a grand final. Despite Carlton's record in recent history, Murphy has played in 6 finals games (4 elims and 2 semis). Gov (3 finals), Newman (3 finals), Ed Curnow (2 finals).
So there's 2 with good finals experience, one with reasonable, and another 3 with limited, but some experience.
We need someone who can work as an on field coach. Hodge did that well at Brisbane. When the momentum is going against us the players don't know what to do, and the coach can't move quickly enough due to limitations on the runners output. We don't have anyone with that experience as we haven't been successful and the best players at understanding that are players from recently successful teams such as Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong, West Coast. Someone like Shannon Hurn, Taylor, Rance, Sicily, etc who can calm the defensive players and marshall the troops. Probably needs someone with strong leadership skills, and near retirement (Or get them out of retirement). I don't know the personality types of the players I mentioned. We really need to learn how to stop momentum of opposition teams, and we don't have the experience right now. It wouldn't cost much and may only be needed for a year, maybe two.

No player you named are successful like Hodge... as a leader and player.

Yeah they're inconsistent in games and have lapses. Also haven't really learned to put their foot down when in front and put in some big wins. Getting an old head may help. Getting rid of some older players and the younger brigade learning this for themselves could help as well. It's definitely something that prevented the team from making finals this year.
I'd really like Isaac Smith to mentor Walsh for the wing role.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Expecting blues to have a huge off season which sets them up well for 2021.

A few more mature players into the starting 22 makes this a decent looking side not far away from challenging

Saad and Williams are just the kind of mature players Blues need to progress in 2021

Cripps moving west = fake news

Was never going to be a massive trade/draft period for Blues in terms of numbers this year

Williams and Saad were targets and they have them. Narkle someone else they are keen on

Don't rate draft outside of Top 15-20.

Will look at 1-2 DFA's and not much else

Happy to go into 2021 to keep developing young talent. A proper reserves will help a lot.

Charlie Kemp Newman Jack are almost new recruits and there is a lot of improvement in our list

Finals is a must

3 draft picks and a DFA likely.

We need a small forward, KPD depth and long term ruck depth. More kids the merrier too if they are best available.

We have 2 DFAs training with us who could fill a KPD slot if necessary, but we need a young KPD coming up through the VFL.

With a midseason draft in 2021, I wonder if we have ruck injuries if a fit Kreuzer can nominate, given he's our ruck coach so still in the system in a way.

3 draft picks and a DFA likely.

We need a small forward, KPD depth and long term ruck depth. More kids the merrier too if they are best available.

We have 2 DFAs training with us who could fill a KPD slot if necessary, but we need a young KPD coming up through the VFL.

With a midseason draft in 2021, I wonder if we have ruck injuries if a fit Kreuzer can nominate, given he's our ruck coach so still in the system in a way.

I think Kreuzer retired because his body is cooked.

Worse case scenario is Casboult will ruck for us.

TDK first selected with Pittonet on standby in case of injury. Should be sufficient moving forward.

Maybe another ruck/forward would be a good option, but not a pure ruck.

Does anyone know why we get 6 draft picks? We've got 34 players on our senior list, and the maximum list size (senior) is 38, so shouldn't we just get 4 picks? Gold Coast only get 3 picks, with 35 senior-listed players.

I know we won't use all six (likely just 2), just wondering how the AFL decide how many picks each club has to play with. Does it mean for instance, that we still have two senior-listed players without contracts?

I think Kreuzer retired because his body is cooked.

Worse case scenario is Casboult will ruck for us.

TDK first selected with Pittonet on standby in case of injury. Should be sufficient moving forward.

Maybe another ruck/forward would be a good option, but not a pure ruck.

Reasonable chance we'll take Henry Walsh. It's definitely a gap in our list, and Caz only has a year or two left. Best to recruit one now I think - especially as there should be a few options around the 30-50 mark. I'd think we'd look for a mid/fwd with 31 and ruckman with 38. Jake Bowey, Corey Durdin, Sam Berry perhaps. Then Walsh or Max Heath.

Likely Rookie a KPD, say Tom Highmore if still available. James Rowe a small forward rookie option.

Reasonable chance we'll take Henry Walsh. It's definitely a gap in our list, and Caz only has a year or two left. Best to recruit one now I think - especially as there should be a few options around the 30-50 mark. I'd think we'd look for a mid/fwd with 31 and ruckman with 38. Jake Bowey, Corey Durdin, Sam Berry perhaps. Then Walsh or Max Heath.

Likely Rookie a KPD, say Tom Highmore if still available. James Rowe a small forward rookie option.

Think Teague mentioned a developing KPD, midfielder and small forward on the CFC website yesterday. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Teague mentioned a developing KPD, midfielder and small forward on the CFC website yesterday. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Fair enough, missed that. And not terrible options. But we will need to boost ruck stocks - if not this year, then next. There's likely to be options in Rookie draft available.

Wonder what the likelihood of Henry Walsh not being taken in the ND is... would be a dream result really to get him in the RD.

Predictions have him going anywhere from 30s - very late.

Wonder what the likelihood of Henry Walsh not being taken in the ND is... would be a dream result really to get him in the RD.

Predictions have him going anywhere from 30s - very late.

Strange that we didn't pick him up. I thought Geelong would have been into him as well.

Guess there was too much to work on for the time being as ultimately no one picked him up, not even as a rookie.

Very happy with Blues Trade/Draft period. Improved our list and filled some holes. A mature KPD like McDonald for depth would be good addition.

With our age profile, another pre season and a proper reserves next year MUST be finals. Underrated or yet to be established names like Honey Ramsay Dow O'Brien Stocker Kemp Fisher should really improve in this new system. That's where our improvement will come from

Looking forward to an exciting 2021

Go Blues

Back