Carlton's 2016 Offseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Blugazi

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Started one of these last year on pretty much the exact date which is spooky. A space to collate info about changes to Carlton's list this offseason.

Retirements
Andrew Walker
Michael Jamison
Cameron Wood (rookie)

Delisted
Jayden Foster
Matthew Dick
Clem Smith
Andrejs Everitt
Jason Tutt
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
Mark Whiley
Billy Gowers (rookie)
Andrew Gallucci (rookie)

Confirmed trades
Zach Tuohy + Carlton's 2017 second round pick > GEEL
Billie Smedts + Pick 63 + Geelong's 2017 first round pick > CARL

Geelong's 2017 first round pick + Pick 45 + Pick 58 > GWS
Caleb Marchbank + Jarrod Pickett + GWS's 2017 second round pick > CARL

Pick 135 > GWS
Rhys Palmer > CARL

GWS's 2017 second round pick > HAW
Pick 48 + Pick 66 + Pick 70 > CARL

Uncontracted but likely to re-sign
Sam Rowe* (apparently has triggered a one year contract extension)
Blaine Boekhorst* (has signed a one year extension, no official confirmation)
Ciaran Sheehan (delisted, but will be picked up again as a rookie)

Re-signings
Matthew Wright (re-signed for one year)
Dylan Buckley (re-signed for one year)
Nick Graham (re-signed for one year)

Draft/trade priorities
Midfielders – specifically ones that can win their own ball and make good decisions.
Classy goal kickers.
Improve KPP stocks at both ends of the ground.

Rumoured trade targets
Jaeger O’Meara* (traded to Hawthorn)
Dion Prestia (traded to Richmond)
Tom Mitchell* (traded to Hawthorn)

Caleb Marchbank* (traded to Carlton) :thumbsu:
Adam Tomlinson
Jack Steele* (traded to St.Kilda)

Jarrod Pickett (traded to Carlton) :thumbsu:
Paul Ahern (traded to North Melbourne)
Aidan Corr
Will Hoskin-Elliott (traded to Collingwood)
Adam Kennedy
James Stewart* (traded to Essendon)
Pat McKenna* (traded to Melbourne)
Ben Lennon
Brad Crouch
Matt Crouch
Charlie Cameron
Mitch McGovern
Jarryd Lyons* (traded to Adelaide)
Mitch Grigg*
Ollie Wines
Nathan Hrovat* (traded to North Melbourne)
Mitch Honeychurch
Brandon Matera
Mitch Duncan
Darcy Lang
Nakia Cockatoo

Billie Smedts (traded to Carlton) :thumbsu:
Nat Fyfe

Rumoured draft targets
Sam Petrevski-Seton
Tim Taranto
Will Hayward
Will Brodie
Will Setterfield
Pat Kerr
Ben Jarman
Sam Fowler
Cam Polson

Current draft picks
5, 25, 48, 63, 66, 70

2017 draft picks obtained
nil

2017 draft picks outgoing
2017 second round pick

Potential F/S
Jake Bradley

*indicates uncontracted players

Last edited:

A reliable poster on the Blues board claiming that there could be up to five GWS players (including Marchbank) heading to the Blues.

Last edited:
A reliable poster on the Blues board claiming that their could be up to five GWS players (including Marchbank) heading to the Blues.

I saw it too. Just wonder at what price
But I trust Sos. He knows GWS list like the back of his hand

A reliable poster on the Blues board claiming that their could be up to five GWS players (including Marchbank) heading to the Blues.
Would not surprise. Amazing the amount of list space these sorts of players are already taking up on their list - last year they got 3 cloggers and Plowman. The year before- Whiley and Jacsch. Strike rate not great.

Would not surprise. Amazing the amount of list space these sorts of players are already taking up on their list - last year they got 3 cloggers and Plowman. The year before- Whiley and Jacsch. Strike rate not great.

Plowman has been great for Carlton
Marchbank has had injuries issues but once 100% will be back on track, similar to Plowman in way

Phillips has been good and Sumner has impressed up forward kicking goals. Lamb has been average but the expectation were never high for him. Jaksch will be make or break for him while Whiley I expect it to be his final year along with few others

Plowman has been great for Carlton
Marchbank has had injuries issues but once 100% will be back on track, similar to Plowman in way

Phillips has been good and Sumner has impressed up forward kicking goals. Lamb has been average but the expectation were never high for him. Jaksch will be make or break for him while Whiley I expect it to be his final year along with few others
You are reiterating my point. You've been happy to put cloggers on your list as part of a deal so you can get a decent player. Plowman will be your only player in your best 22 of that lot in 2 years time.

They are trying to bulk import depth, because they feel the GWS list cloggers are better players that the Carlton outs.
No doubt, but with the exception of Plowman, the other 3 shouldn't be in their best 22 in 2 years time; same with Jacsch and Whiley.

The rumor of pick 5 for 5GWS players is a major concern for mine. I understand we need to develop depth but trading in players who have shown very little when played at AFL level is a worry. These guys have been developed in the NEAFL which isnt great and then played little AFL....to me that means despite being a high draft pick they arent much chop (exc Marchbank).

Also there is no point developing depth if we dont have the quality at the top of the list that pick 5 would most likely get us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are reiterating my point. You've been happy to put cloggers on your list as part of a deal so you can get a decent player. Plowman will be your only player in your best 22 of that lot in 2 years time.

Not true on Phillips, he had a good year. Showed potential he didn't at GWS and he'd go up another level rucking 80% of the time.

When you've got so much crap to clear out from the list, you can take a chance on a few players that haven't had an opportunity. They are easily delisted in a year or two as we begin to climb the ladder again. Its Risk vs Reward. Little to no risk with a chance a player like Sumner gets over his injuries and cements a spot in the 22.

When you've got so much crap to clear out from the list, you can take a chance on a few players that haven't had an opportunity. They are easily delisted in a year or two as we begin to climb the ladder again. Its Risk vs Reward. Little to no risk with a chance a player like Sumner gets over his injuries and cements a spot in the 22.
Fair enough. The time will come when calls need to be made in the likes of Whiley, Jacsch, Lamb etc to free up spots on the list for younger players who may make it.

Not sold in Sumner though. He's 23 so should be hitting his prime. Had a good run last year and didn't see him to be a long termer for the blues. Let's see how he goes next year.

Fair enough. The time will come when calls need to be made in the likes of Whiley, Jacsch, Lamb etc to free up spots on the list for younger players who may make it.

Not sold in Sumner though. He's 23 so should be hitting his prime. Had a good run last year and didn't see him to be a long termer for the blues. Let's see how he goes next year.
I am suprised Whiley is getting another year but i'd say all 3 have to show something next year or they'll be chopped. I was quietly impressed by Sumner. Has never done a pre-season so hopefully on the back of a year of football + his first pre season he can cement a spot in a pocket. I think Plowman & Sumner will be the only long term players from that trade. Easily a major win for the blues

I am suprised Whiley is getting another year but i'd say all 3 have to show something next year or they'll be chopped. I was quietly impressed by Sumner. Has never done a pre-season so hopefully on the back of a year of football + his first pre season he can cement a spot in a pocket. I think Plowman & Sumner will be the only long term players from that trade. Easily a major win for the blues

Plowman has proven be great 1 on 1. I like Sumner but needs to be able to do more as doesn't get plenty of the ball

End of year Liam Jones gone. While gone and DVR gone as clearly not one of Boltons favourite and might attract picks from other clubs

Summer will be. Was quite good off long term injury and zero pre season. Has plenty going for him. Lamb and Phillips are sound depth...better than those they replaced.

Not every player on a list is locked in best 22 or an emerging superstar.

We just need to keep pick 5.

If we can add 5 & Marchbank, that should be a further 2 elite talents, and then we have ample opportunity to add to that with solid/depth talents (Stewart, later picks etc).

I don't see how we are better off if we give up 5 and bit pieces for Marchbank and bit pieces, we still end up with only 1 elite talent. Giving up say 5 for Marchbank, Stewart and a 2nd rounder is pointless.

Really hope Trigg isn't being his usual w***er self and lying. Makes no sense to trade 5 at all when there will still be some excellent kids there (I don't know who is rumoured to be taking who but would Bowes to GC and SPS to Freo be reasonable, leaving one of McCluggage, Brodie, McGrath to be there).

Not every player on a list is locked in best 22 or an emerging superstar.
Yeah I get that. You would want to be recruiting players into your club that would be best 22, not just depth.
I'm sure that was the thinking behind Lamb, Phillips, Sumner and Plowman as well as Jacsch and Whiley.
Of those 6, I'm not sure I see anyone in there that should be in your best 22 in two years time apart from Plowman, but then again Carlton supporters think more of Phillips and Sumner than I do.
And when you are down the bottom like Richmond and Carlton currently are, our expectation of what is a best 22 player is a lot different to that of a top 4 side.

Yeah I get that. You would want to be recruiting players into your club that would be best 22, not just depth.
I'm sure that was the thinking behind Lamb, Phillips, Sumner and Plowman as well as Jacsch and Whiley.
Of those 6, I'm not sure I see anyone in there that should be in your best 22 in two years time apart from Plowman, but then again Carlton supporters think more of Phillips and Sumner than I do.
And when you are down the bottom like Richmond and Carlton currently are, our expectation of what is a best 22 player is a lot different to that of a top 4 side.
Yes, though not really a traditional trade. The reason we were able to secure Plowman so cheap and upgrade 16 to 8 was with the other three attached. They are likely better than the guys they replaced, so depth improves, but yes I agree Phillips and Lamb don't project as anything more than handy depth.

The trade the year before was a balls up for all involved, but at least internally, that doesn't reflect on Silvagni or Bolton.

All that said another 4/5 for 1 deal this year would make me very nervous.

According to the reliable poster on the Blues board the 5 GWS players are shaping to be: Marchbank, Pickett, Stewart, Corr & A.Kennedy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back