List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too early to judge Jack yet, just remember SOS played in a good team just about his whole career. Down the track when we are a good side we'll see how he goes. me i think he will be a very good footballer, his old man was a superstar though.

Too early to judge Jack yet, just remember SOS played in a good team just about his whole career. Down the track when we are a good side we'll see how he goes. me i think he will be a very good footballer, his old man was a superstar though.
I hear this argument a lot but at a good side noway does SOJ have near 50 games to his name. I think he would be lucky to have 5.
He was a late pick and is clearly a limited player so if he makes it than that just a bonus. No doubt his name has helped him along the way but it also carries huge unfair pressure on the kid.
For me he's in the Polson, Garlett and now Pickett group where it should just be seen as a bonus if they come on rather than expectation.

I hear this argument a lot but at a good side noway does SOJ have near 50 games to his name. I think he would be lucky to have 5.
He was a late pick and is clearly a limited player so if he makes it than that just a bonus. No doubt his name has helped him along the way but it also carries huge unfair pressure on the kid.
For me he's in the Polson, Garlett and now Pickett group where it should just be seen as a bonus if they come on rather than expectation.
Yep i can agree with that to a degree, but when our midfield start getting the ball more often smart players will lead to the right position. I think Jack is a smart player.

Post of the year - IMHO it is completely understandable that GC would pay significant overs to get a 10 year Captain.

There are many reasons GC are in the situation they are - lack of leadership is one of the main ones.

I could click the like button but rather compliment an outstanding post...but no one can guarantee that walsh is not a flight risk either

I'm hoping that with a better and fitter list players like Jack Cuningham Garlett get to settle in one role.
I think it’s players like Garlett Jack and Cuners and others, for whatever reasons, that need to get better. After 3 years in the system they need to start showing something like the Fishers, Curnows.

This, exactly this..........and you'd think if you were Craig Cameron, Stuart Dew, etc, that you'd be selling that fact for all you're worth. I go up there every year for our game up there. It's a must do.

Just like every other club, we will always incur injuries. You need to plan to have enough genuine depth so that you can cover up to 20% of your list being unavailable at any given time. You need a best 32 rather than a best 22 if that makes sense.
Best 27?

I agree with your first 3, surely Simmo will be cooked by then but maybe not. Daisy has to go after next year but will be good for one more year of on field coaching. Levi is just depth for injuries in KPF but could have gone this year so he’s definitely gone next year.
As for the rest, I think most will stay as they are up to it. Garlett and Pickett are the type of players that will thrive in a better team which I think we are likely to be 10-14th next year.

Over the last 5 years, clubs have averaged more than 9 changes a year

WC had 9 changes, after winning a flag, we are no where near a flag, let alone the 8

If we wish to take Sam Fisher &/or Jesse Palmer then no risk in missing out if they’re up for rookie listing unless they wish to go to the draft.
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-18/analysis-how-the-new-rookie-rule-will-change-football
Those new rules can make a real impact...basically, you can negotiate with these players and pretty much have them signed up prior to the draft without the risk of someone else swooping on them. You can have part of your list stitched up before the draft kicks off, which could then take the pressure off who we take in the lower picks.

So, if we commit to picking up Sam Walsh at pick 1, we could have a Mitch Grigg and Sammy Fisher already 'signed' to bolster our midfield with mature age talent...and with the remainder of the picks, we can then be more flexible who we pick up with the remaining picks....like Riley Grundy (KPD), Angus Hanrahan (forward) BSOS (swing), Will Hamill (swing), Brayden Ham (mid), etc

Combo of youth and mature age talent. Keeping in mind we don't have any picks between pick 1 and 69, we have to start thinking creative.

Like it a lot :)

Two sides of the argument ; Draft Walsh with 1 (or to piss SA off, get Rankine) or hope SOS can turn 1 into 2/3 and 6.
As most avid BF posters will agree, we don't really know nor can control that outcome. I' certainly not gonna sweat it over the next 4 days...what's the point? Just wait for it to all unfold and we can move on and support the lads in 2019.

All I really want selection-wise is to see some REAL progression on the field next year. 2018 nearly broke me as a supporter. Cannot stand to see 8 goal (average) losing margins again.

I am just hoping I can go to the 'G or Marvel with my kid and :
  • see us win more than 25 quarters for the year.....PLEEEASE!!
  • kick more than 240 goals for the season (haven't done that for 4 seasons)....maybe have 3-4 players kicking 30+ goals
  • restrict opposition to less than 280 goals for the season (haven't done that for 4 years)
Whatever eventuates on Thursday, SOS, I'm just backing you and the coaches in to deliver some PROGRESS.

2019....improvement, then 2020....a sniff at getting back into finals.

I'm off to the man-cave to watch "Draft day" and have pleasant dreams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those new rules can make a real impact...basically, you can negotiate with these players and pretty much have them signed up prior to the draft without the risk of someone else swooping on them. You can have part of your list stitched up before the draft kicks off, which could then take the pressure off who we take in the lower picks.

Yep, can certainly settle your mature rookie spots but also pushes up the youngsters to replace them on draft night if other clubs have agreed to the same.
I.e. where clubs would have been taking the mature guys late, we could miss out on a desired draftee where other clubs have room on their list, especially this year where we’re kicking back in from #69.

Yep, can certainly settle your mature rookie spots but also pushes up the youngsters to replace them on draft night if other clubs have agreed to the same.
I.e. where clubs would have been taking the mature guys late, we could miss out on a desired draftee where other clubs have room on their list, especially this year where we’re kicking back in from #69.
Just have a feeling our 2nd pick won't be 69.

Yeah he did. And anytime he had to take a class as an emergency teacher he'd roll out the tv/VCR combo put this on. I reckon I saw this film 15 times through high school

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sounds like my Deep Calm.
I've probably watched Rivers Edge 15 times as well....but by choice....mostly in a dimly lit smoked up loungeroom circa '95

I can easily make a case for 12

Start the ball rolling with some retirements

Simmo, Daisy, Levi

Others injury prone/shown very little

Phillips, Pickett, Garlett, Lang, Lebois

Players under pressure

Cuners, Fasolo, Jones, Plowman

You could name a couple of others to this category
Agree with all of that except Plowman, and fingers crossed for Fasolo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad