List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to me the crows dealt with us because we were firm and straight. St Hilda were all over the place and not able to commit.
I dont believe one would do trades on the gamble of next years ladder. Only an idiot would because there are always surprises.

Really interesting we had Stocker at 6. Can’t find any other people that might have had him so high. Doesn’t seem many clubs did either. Have to back in our group. They know more than us. Rated 6 in a strong draft is impressive. To add Walsh & Stocker and keep a first round pick is awesome.

The question is where did people rate him?

Was he in the 9-14 bracket, the 15-20 bracket or 20+?

Would be interested to know what his 20m sprint times are if anyone has that information.

I'm going with us finishing 12-15th and Crows 10-14th :)

Adelaide are a lock for top 4.

Very soft draw.

They play a lot of lower ranked sides away from home and higher ranked sides at home. This is a huge advantage.

I'd imagine they'd back themselves to pump lower ranked teams by 60+ points regardless of where the game is being played.

Playing higher ranked teams at home will give them a distinct advantage in the 50 50 games.

Expect Adelaide to win 15+ games in 2019.

Without any evidence, no

How about commons sense? Should play some part in it.

Was Stocker the 6th most talented player in the draft?

He was the player Carlton deemed to be the best player for the club at that pick. That makes for common sense to me.

Very soft draw.

They play a lot of lower ranked sides away from home and higher ranked sides at home. This is a huge advantage.

I'd imagine they'd back themselves to pump lower ranked teams by 60+ points regardless of where the game is being played.

Playing higher ranked teams at home will give them a distinct advantage in the 50 50 games.

Preliminary Final at least. I’ll keep an eye on that.

He was the player Carlton deemed to be the best player for the club at that pick. That makes for common sense to me.

All clubs would have a completely different top 20 in order of ranking. Some, like us may have had Stocker rated in the top 10, while others didn't. We pushed hard for a trade, as he kept sliding, so many other teams may have been interested in him at a similar mark, 15 - 20

What is amusing is how many people are now trying to establish who we had in the top 6

Very soft draw.

I'm not so sure. Carrying a group of old players, a number won't have full pre seasons and they lack depth. Lost some key players in Lever Cameron & McGovern in last 2 years. I also believe they have internal issues and will slide. JMO

Amateur hour from the Aints.

Adelaide asked for their future first and 36 for 19 and 69. St Kilda numpties took it offline to discuss! Realised very quickly that Adelaide had just asked them to significantly downgrade two picks for no gain whatsoever - makes you wonder why the bloke on the phone (their List Manager!) wasn't able to work that out for himself and tell Reid to stop taking the piss then and there. That's akin to someone saying "I'll give you my $5 note and $20 note, for your $10 note and $50 note" and you responding with "Hmmm, let me ask my boss".

They were just throwing numbers out there and hoping something would fall into their laps. Can't help but think they were just trying to get "something" to show that they could. "If Caldwell's there after 10, we'll try to get 11 from GWS, Caldwell's probably the last one we want there, yeah? Yeah.", despite GWS being strongly linked to Caldwell. Whoops, GWS took Caldwell before we could even call them. Should we try and do the same trade for 15? Sure, let's have a go. How about 19? Sure, why not! Who else looks good? Collier-Dawkins? Got plenty of potential! Richo chimes in with "Potential eh, that sounds pretty good".

Reckon Blue and Blue hit the nail on the head a few posts up - St Kilda weren't even clear internally on what their offers were. We did our trade, and their National Recruiting Manager went into self-preservation mode, claiming that Adelaide accepted an offer from us that was the same as their offer, and therefore Adelaide must be banking on Carlton finishing bottom 3 next year. Someone off-screen asks if "Didn't we also offer Pick 36?". A few questioning looks pass before their List Manager says "Yeah, we had that in there too". Gotta wonder if Adelaide knew Pick 36 was on the table, as I suspect they'd probably have preferred StK future first + 36 over just Carlton's future first...

Then there's Richo's "There's 10,000 memberships" after King says it's been a dream to play for the club he supports - met with awkward silence from everyone else at the table. Then another awkward moment when King suggests St Kilda are precariously placed with a coach under pressure - nervous laugh from Richo and not much else.

Live trading - dictate terms, be clear, focus on an objective. That's what I've taken from these two videos so far.

If you're not crystal clear on what you want and what you're offering, clubs will either take advantage of you or stop wasting their time talking to you.

Last edited:

I've always believed that for the Top 10 as a minimum clubs have ranked the players purely by best onwards. Not needs, position or anything else. Purely the best in order

The question is where did people rate him?

Was he in the 9-14 bracket, the 15-20 bracket or 20+?

Would be interested to know what his 20m sprint times are if anyone has that information.

I had him at 2 just behind Walsh and just ahead of Finbar & BSOS. Lukosius at 5

I also had Owies top 10 if had been in this draft and that is without ever seeing him play

Last edited:
All clubs would have a completely different top 20 in order of ranking. Some, like us may have had Stocker rated in the top 10, while others didn't. We pushed hard for a trade, as he kept sliding, so many other teams may have been interested in him at a similar mark, 15 - 20
What is amusing is how many people are now trying to establish who we had in the top 6

It is a point of interest though, isn't it?
There would be plenty that may be surprised for the club to have divulged such a thing, but this is a step in the right direction I feel.
No need to tell everyone, everything, but little snippets of true information do give us more to discuss and somewhat surprisingly, make us feel part of the process.

I've always believed that for the Top 10 as a minimum clubs have ranked the players purely by best onwards. Not needs, position or anything else. Purely the best in order

I still think that a little bit of everything comes into account as much as one may not want them to and then there's the pressure of getting it right...which can put doubts into ones mind and which is why i'm glad the CFC had to balls to show where they rated Stocker, devoid of any external noise.

Compare this video to the ST Kilda version.

SOS had all his ducks in a row with conversations and potential deals discussed with other clubs 4 days prior.

Saints were like a drunk throwing darts at a wall hoping they would hit something.

Completely clueless.

Indeed. Will still be one or two clubs that way next year. We should take full advantage of those that are wishy washy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think its worth the bother of worrying about any of it. The list is done. In my opinion we have done far better than I dared to hope after 22 rounds and a shocker season. We got a bit of a look inside at why SOS is the man and the good team around him.
Stocker can be rated 106 for all I care. Once he plays a few good games it will all be irelevant

Essendon had Parish at 5 and Francis at 6 and Carlton had Charlie at 12 in 2015 so maybe SOS and his team will be proven correct in time.

I just watched that video and it seems as if Stkilda had not done any pre planning on live trading,it was as if they were making up as they went along.
On the other hand in our video SOS says to Reid “about the deal we were talking about the other day”,so there was already some discussion and dealings pre draft night.The difference in professionalism is immense...a) player identified,ranked,profiled,interviewed and discussed with recruitment team
b) strategy planned c) strategy executed. And that is why we have an extra first round pick on our list this year and still have a first round pick next year.
The proof is that Stkilda’s offer was better with pick 36 also in the deal...didn’t quite understand if Adelaide new that pick 36 was on the table which if true makes their efforts even more amateurish.
The power of planning can’t be under estimated.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back