List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutley Rankine first choice because of his brilliance and amazing X factor and then Smith no fanfare but excellent quality midfielder.
Walsh to round off the top midfielders.

"he escaped from nothing and nowhere to distribute the football. Relied on blocks from team mates to escape any contest, and was just the guy smartly making a small amount of space for himself to receive through timing of runs (and occasionally release a team mate, but certainly not at a stoppage)."

This is total rubbish. Won the ball consistently with much help. Worked hard to take the ball off others. Maybe he is just a better Zac Fisher. :)

That will do me.
Fisher burrowed in to. Smith and Fisher are more alike than Fisher and Walsh. Also, the underlined statement you've made (in error) is exactly what I'm saying.

Watch him again in the game everyone was raving about, and tell me how many times he won his own footy in a contest and disposed of it:

Follow-up question: how many times did he wind up getting rid of the footy when tackled?

Another follow-up question: how many times did he pressure the player in possession?

Fisher burrowed in to. Smith and Fisher are more alike than Fisher and Walsh. Also, the underlined statement you've made (in error) is exactly what I'm saying.

Watch him again in the game everyone was raving about, and tell me how many times he won his own footy in a contest and disposed of it:
Follow-up question: how many times did he wind up getting rid of the footy when tackled?
Another follow-up question: how many times did he pressure the player in possession?
Plenty
Often enough
They are highlights of his possessions not his pressure acts. Gun Juniors don't normally have defensive game. Running machine that will provide that in the future.

This is opposed to Smith who got the ball a heap less as often in a better side at the champs

Imagine a midfield of TDK, Cripps, Smith/Walsh, Dow, Kennedy, SPS and Fish.. not a bad starting point at all. Serious talent.

and I still have high hopes for Cuningham & O'Brien and Pickett as a wingman :) Charlie I still believe will play a lot of midfield minutes and be something very special, then maybe we add Brodie and then Kelly in 2019 ;)

Reckon Judd slipped out the fact (?) that we'll be receiving a PP, being the #19.
We already have some good second round numbers which currently stand at 23, 26 and a 19 thrown in could be very handy.

It doesn't seem as though there's a lot of interest from premium players to come to our club right now, whether by trade or Free Agency.
There will be no Gaff, no Lynch, Sloane & Guthrie have signed on, but it still makes sense for us to have a free dip as there will be no FA's going out.
Mitch Wallis seems to be the only logical fit for us from what remains unsigned.

I can still see us selling off the #1 to get a player, yet still remain in the top 6 at the draft. That makes sense.
I can see us doing a 2015 trade of picks (maybe even #19 & #26) to get back into the top dozen picks (North?)
In amongst the #1 trade, hang out next years first to again position ourselves into another top ten pick this year. (Gold Coast our best suitor)

Who knows how it will all land but no doubt we'll be entering this trade & draft periods with a very strong hand.

Would love to get Rozee as well somehow. Great footskills, moves nicely in traffic and hits the scoreboard. I know Knightmare seems to think his contested game is lacking, but it looks like he's capable enough.

Question 1: 9 (6 hard ball gets)
Question 2: 4 out of 6 instances of being tackled with the ball (1 free kick for high technically makes 5)
Question 3: 2

That's funny. :)

Walsh works very hard and finds himself never far away from a possession, whether it be in the centre, forward or back.
May not be a head first mid, but he doesn't need to be as his work with the ball and bringing team-mates into the game, more than makes up for this 'failing' as is the case for JoshKelly.....and anyone rubbishing Kelly for not being grunt can only be made to look silly.

Walsh just doesn't stop moving and given the way the game may be going to open up, his value will be at a premium.

and I still have high hopes for Cuningham & O'Brien and Pickett as a wingman :) Charlie I still believe will play a lot of midfield minutes and be something very special, then maybe we add Brodie and then Kelly in 2019 ;)

I do not think he will now. Think the centre half forward role has been found the best use of his talents. He may do short stints like a Roughy or Hogan but the early questions of whether he would be a mid or forward are over now. He is just too good as a key forward to take away from there. Next season when sides cannot start a loose man in defence after every goal will just advantage players like him more.

I do not think he will now. Think the centre half forward role has been found the best use of his talents. He may do short stints like a Roughy or Hogan but the early questions of whether he would be a mid or forward are over now. He is just too good as a key forward to take away from there. Next season when sides cannot start a loose man in defence after every goal will just advantage players like him more.

Him and Lukosious are going to have a license to roam

There's definitely a palpable difference between this years top 5-10 and last years. As optimistic as it is as this stage, Lukosius, Rankine, Walsh and Smith look like surefire future stars - contrast that with Rayner, Brayshaw, Dow, LDU and Cerra who looked like good future players, but all had a few question marks - Cerra probably the least of that batch. Rayner was the most obvious future gun, but I doubt he goes Top 5 in this draft. Brayshaw would be lucky to scrape into the top 10-15.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's definitely a palpable difference between this years top 5-10 and last years. As optimistic as it is as this stage, Lukosius, Rankine, Walsh and Smith look like surefire future stars - contrast that with Rayner, Brayshaw, Dow, LDU and Cerra who looked like good future players, but all had a few question marks - Cerra probably the least of that batch. Rayner was the most obvious future gun, but I doubt he goes Top 5 in this draft. Brayshaw would be lucky to scrape into the top 10-15.
Serious?

I liked last years top 5 way more.

I am iffy on projections for this years crop

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Feel certain Adelaide will come hard for pick 1 (Lukosius) but cant see Silvagni wanting to drop out of the top 5 or 6.
How do Adelaide manage it ?

They may going to have to let a player go. McGovern?
They also have two first rounders at around 8 & 12. That alone won't get it done but if McGovern wanted to come to us, we can surely work something out to get us back into the top half dozen picks.

Right now the standout quality in the draft sits at around the top 7; Walsh, Smith, BKing, MKing, Rankine, Lukosius and for me Blakey.
Unfortunately though, that top 7 (subjective, I know) is really a top 6 for the obvious reason.

If GC want Lukosius, we may be well best served to deal with them and then with Adelaide for Rankine.
We could do really well should serious interest for those players comes from those clubs.

Still keen on RCD, but he'd want to show some ball-winning ability over the next few weeks.
Could Stocker do a Clayton Oliver this year? Could someone else?

They may going to have to let a player go. McGovern?
They also have two first rounders at around 8 & 12. That alone won't get it done but if McGovern wanted to come to us, we can surely work something out to get us back into the top half dozen picks.

Right now the standout quality in the draft sits at around the top 7; Walsh, Smith, BKing, MKing, Rankine, Lukosius and for me Blakey.
Unfortunately though, that top 7 (subjective, I know) is really a top 6 for the obvious reason.

If GC want Lukosius, we may be well best served to deal with them and then with Adelaide for Rankine.
We could do really well should serious interest for those players comes from those clubs.

Still keen on RCD, but he'd want to show some ball-winning ability over the next few weeks.
Could Stocker do a Clayton Oliver this year? Could someone else?

GC armed with picks 2&3 would be great to deal with but i can see them going bang bang on the King brothers as a) replacement bookends for Lynch and May and b) they might even decide to stay on the coast to play out their careers togeather.
Just cant see Adelaide letting Lukosius play in any other colors.
Yes they have 2 1st round picks but not of the calibre Silvagni likes to fire and even with McGovern thrown into the mix , it still leaves us short of the pointy end of the draft so struggling to see how it happens without major input from other parties ...

GC armed with picks 2&3 would be great to deal with but i can see them going bang bang on the King brothers as a) replacement bookends for Lynch and May and b) they might even decide to stay on the coast to play out their careers togeather.
Just cant see Adelaide letting Lukosius play in any other colors.
Yes they have 2 1st round picks but not of the calibre Silvagni likes to fire and even with McGovern thrown into the mix , it still leaves us short of the pointy end of the draft so struggling to see how it happens without major input from other parties ...

The thing with GC is that as much as they need good players, they need marquee players.
Now Lukosius may never become that player, but he's more likely to be a selling point for the club than for either King.

If indeed they were keen and as I've put forward before:

OUT: 2018 #1 -- 2019 1st
IN: 2018 #2 -- 2018 #3 -- and maybe a second rounder thrown in, just because :)

Feel certain Adelaide will come hard for pick 1 (Lukosius) but cant see Silvagni wanting to drop out of the top 5 or 6.
How do Adelaide manage it ?

Freo and the Saints are Adelaide's chances to get us a high Pick if we require one in the trade.

Saints(3 or 4) and Freo(6) get us into the likely Top cutoff point of the Top 7 or 8. The reason those two Clubs might trade those Picks is that neither of those clubs have their next pick under 50 this year. So they might trade them for a couple of Adelaide picks.

There's heaps of options out there if Adelaide really want Lukosius. And any sensible analyst can see that they really do and really should. They clearly see Luko as their forward lynchpin going into the future. As they should.

Serious?

I liked last years top 5 way more.

I am iffy on projections for this years crop

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Definitely. The disposal skills of Walsh and Smith from what I have seen are far better, and they've got more X-factor overall. Lukosius is one of (if not the) best kick in the draft as 193cm+ wingman. Rankine's skills are ridiculous - turns on a dime, amazing goal sense, elite overhead for his size.

See how they adapt at AFL level but I can't remember being as excited for a draft for a long time.

I'd be happy with any of the above at Pick 1.

Question 1: 9 (6 hard ball gets)
Question 2: 4 out of 6 instances of being tackled with the ball (1 free kick for high technically makes 5)
Question 3: 2
Thank you. In a 30+ possession game, do you think those stats are impressive, especially once you grade the quality of the disposal when someone gets hold of him?

Given how often he was closed, do you think he will win that much outside ball in the AFL without slowing the game down? Do you think he shows the inclination or skillset to significantly increase his contested output in the AFL?

That's funny. :)

Walsh works very hard and finds himself never far away from a possession, whether it be in the centre, forward or back.
May not be a head first mid, but he doesn't need to be as his work with the ball and bringing team-mates into the game, more than makes up for this 'failing' as is the case for JoshKelly.....and anyone rubbishing Kelly for not being grunt can only be made to look silly.

Walsh just doesn't stop moving and given the way the game may be going to open up, his value will be at a premium.
What's funny is that you're equating him to Josh Kelly, given Kelly was a far better athlete. He's much closer to Scully.

He won about 3 or 4 foot races in that footage... I've never seen so many people genuinely raving about a bloke being the best mid in the draft when he has to be fed the football so much in order to be effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back