List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
My current 'no ******* idea' top five for Carlton:

1. Lukosius
2. Walsh
3. Rozee
4. Rankine
5. M. King

Should be into Hately, but just can't do it yet. May have to swing over soon enough.
I like Smiths profile but just haven't seen anything yet.
Just not excited about Hill for us.

Not sure why I even posted this, but I did.

A quick top 10, as of now (Not including F/S, Academy, NGA)

Lukosius
Rozee
Walsh
B. King
M. King
Rankine
Bytel
Caldwell
Hately
Smith

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
My current 'no ******* idea' top five for Carlton:

1. Lukosius
2. Walsh
3. Rozee
4. Rankine
5. M. King

Should be into Hately, but just can't do it yet. May have to swing over soon enough.
I like Smiths profile but just haven't seen anything yet.
Just not excited about Hill for us.

Not sure why I even posted this, but I did.
A quick top 10, as of now (Not including F/S, Academy, NGA)

Lukosius
Rozee
Walsh
B. King
M. King
Rankine
Bytel
Caldwell
Hately
Smith

1 Lukosius
2 Walsh
3 B King
4 Caldwell
5 Rankine
6 Bytel
7 Hill
8 Blakey
9 M King
10 Rozee

What about the players you'd want at Carlton Arr0w?

I do this silly thing where when I think I have a grasp of a player; I watch them playing for us. By watch them I mean imagine them.
Even though SOS is obviously keen on King, I just don't see him whereas Lukosius, Walsh and most likely a few more bigger-bodied mids will move easily into my imagination. Silly way to do it. right? :)

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
What about the players you'd want at Carlton Arr0w?

I do this silly thing where when I think I have a grasp of a player; I watch them playing for us. By watch them I mean imagine them.
Even though SOS is obviously keen on King, I just don't see him whereas Lukosius, Walsh and most likely a few more bigger-bodied mids will move easily into my imagination. Silly way to do it. right? :)

I do that a little, but not much.

You know, how i see things, we have debated it heavily over the last couple of years.

In our current circumstances, just get the best talent through the door

Once the championships are over and i get an up close look at these kids again, 12 months on, i will a feel for best available and favourites

As an example, rated McCluggage best available ( still do) with Tarranto a close 2nd and favourite

I do that a little, but not much.
You know, how i see things, we have debated it heavily over the last couple of years.
In our current circumstances, just get the best talent through the door

Once the championships are over and i get an up close look at these kids again, 12 months on, i will a feel for best available and favourites
As an example, rated McCluggage best available ( still do) with Tarranto a close 2nd and favourite

My feelings haven't really changed either, as the right balance is slightly more important to me than the one talent alone, but it's all in degrees, isn't it?

If Lukosius keeps tracking the way he is, you'd have to be pretty bold to say, "Nah, I'm just going to grab the best mid instead", hence that defeats my standard argument to some degree. You don't skip a Charlie Curnow for a Francis or Parish, but if those players form part of the right balance that nets you a flag, the pain of missing that talent simply won't be there any more.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Considering Luko and Rankine have proven themselves against grown men (and as bottom agers?) I don't know how you can put anyone else ahead of them at 1 & 2.

"Circumstance has no value. It is how one relates to a situation that has value. All true meaning resides in the personal relationship to a phenomenon, what it means to you"

Considering Luko and Rankine have proven themselves against grown men (and as bottom agers?) I don't know how you can put anyone else ahead of them at 1 & 2.

"Circumstance has no value. It is how one relates to a situation that has value. All true meaning resides in the personal relationship to a phenomenon, what it means to you"

It's a good point but we're all projecting here and not everyone has the Lukosius/Rankine double, either.

What's that quote in relation to, Lace?

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It's a good point but we're all projecting here and not everyone has the Lukosius/Rankine double, either.

What's that quote in relation to, Lace?
Just life in general Harks. We are all told what to think and do these days, people trying to control us to within an inch of our lifes. I think it's important to focus on what things mean to you.
I've set it as my signature through Tapatalk, not sure how its coming up for those not using it.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

This is where I somewhat disagree.

• Lukosius, Rankine, Hately have played seniors, but I wouldn't say they have proven themselves, more that they can compete at that level
  • TAC is a much stronger completion compared to WAFL / SANFL junior levels. How do we know what the likes of Walsh could do at VFL level?
  • Clayton Oliver came with a late charge, after not being selected for the championships, you could argue in time he would be considered top 3.

Not sure how others, especially novice junior talent watchers rank these kids, but for me, I track their development over the last 2 years, then determine how much more development they have in them. Again, this is only opinion based.

Last edited:
Just life in general Harks. We are all told what to think and do these days, people trying to control us to within an inch of our lifes. I think it's important to focus on what things mean to you.
I've set it as my signature through Tapatalk, not sure how its coming up for those not using it.

Don't start me on that topic :)
We all too readily digest the popular, the cliche, the politically correct, just because it's easy, non-offensive and gives you another team to barrack for.
No time for critical thinking....just give me the take-away version, thank you.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
AFL Draft 2018: Pick 1, top 10 prospects, order, date, AFL Draft Watch, Nick Daicos

High acclaim indeed.

Early days of course, but if this guy does prove to ve everything that is being said about him, SOS just has to find other ways to acquire quality mids.
You just can't pass on a tall of his calibre because we need mids. SOS goes to plan B and makes good. Simple. :)

TOP 10 POWER RANKINGS

1. Jack Lukosius (Woodville-West Torrens/South Australia)
2. Max King (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
3. Nick Blakey (Sydney Swans Academy/Allies)
4. Tarryn Thomas (North Launceston/North Melbourne Academy/Tasmania/Allies)
5. Bailey Smith (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
6. Sam Walsh (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
7. Izak Rankine (West Adelaide/South Australia)
8. Ben King (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
9. Ian Hill (Perth/Western Australia)
10. Jackson Hately (Central District/South Australia)

No Rozee here yet, but that doesn't matter if he keeps tracking the way he's going
God I hope Thomas stays up that high and demands a bid before North's. It would make their pick 7~ very gettable. I would happily trade our future first and Adelaide's second for it.
Who knows if we get a PP we could end up with 4 picks inside 30.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
The big diff is weitering was playing against kids in u18s and Lukokious has been been playing senior SANFL against men all year and holding his own and playing some good footy hitting the scoreboard. #readytogointheafl.
Similar to Fogarty, he did the same last year. Though Fogarty isn't getting a lot of the ball yet you can tell physically he is ready for the AFL and doesn't get pushed around at all.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Not sure why people want Curnow in the middle. He is a match winner up forward and gets around the ground plenty anyway.
He can be a match winner on ball as well. He can be exactly like Dustin Martin. Gun on ball and gun forward.

The issue with such situations is that you often hear "You need 2 of them! One on ball and one forward!" With Luko we will basically have that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton

Agree with you totally , the other two lads Whom I think are very good Bailey Smith and Ian Hill . Bailey is a complete well balanced , big accoumulator , super midfielder and Ian just ooze x factor , skill, if the top 2 are gone by our pick then I'd consider one of these two players next.
The top 7 or 8 will be excellent talents with Lukosius and Rankine just shining above them.

Blueyourmyboy!!

Senior List
Apr 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree with you totally , the other two lads Whom I think are very good Bailey Smith and Ian Hill . Bailey is a complete well balanced , big accoumulator , super midfielder and Ian just ooze x factor , skill, if the top 2 are gone by our pick then I'd consider one of these two players next.
The top 7 or 8 will be excellent talents with Lukosius and Rankine just shining above them.
Rozee and hatley playing seniors aswell

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
If we don't win a single game then we should get another pick in the top 10. I think 5 would be fair. If we win 3 or 4 games then 19. That makes sense and same goes for Brisbane.#Dontbe#untsafl
I agree with this. If we do go winless surely they will have to give us a high PP. If they don't give it to a team with no wins who do they give it to? Even if we only manage 2 wins we should still get a top 10 pick.

*I don't think we will go winless, I'm just pointing out that if it did somehow occur we absolutely should.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
This is where I somewhat disagree.

• Lukosius, Rankine, Hately have played seniors, but I woul
    dn't say they have proven themselves, more that they can compete at that level.
  • TAC is a much stronger completion compared to WAFL / SANFL junior levels. How do we know what the likes of Walsh could do at VFL level?
  • Clayton Oliver came with a late charge, after not being selected for the championships, you could argue in time he would be considered top 3.

Not sure how others, especially novice junior talent watchers rank these kids, but for me, I track their development over the last 2 years, then determine how much more development they have in them. Again, this is only opinion based.
Yep, I seem to remember Jonty Scharanberg playing SANFL pre draft, and is still playing there.

Blueyourmyboy!!

Senior List
Apr 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree with this. If we do go winless surely they will have to give us a high PP. If they don't give it to a team with no wins who do they give it to? Even if we only manage 2 wins we should still get a top 10 pick.

*I don't think we will go winless, I'm just pointing out that if it did somehow occur we absolutely should.
2 wins= pick 10

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
God I hope Thomas stays up that high and demands a bid before North's. It would make their pick 7~ very gettable. I would happily trade our future first and Adelaide's second for it.
Who knows if we get a PP we could end up with 4 picks inside 30.
Interesting thought, to be perfectly honest my first reaction was that it was nonsense, but with more thought, it
makes good sense. Our first next year is likely to be higher than seven, we can get a talented kid in with extra an
development year. (The negative is if we have earmarked our first for a Shiel or similar, and yes I know will be FA)
Keep our first, 1 or whatever it becomes, take Luko or a gun mid. Back up with 7 for a Smith, Rozee, even Rankine
if he slides, maybe a "bull" Hately or Bytel to develop.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton

Absolutely concur, the AFL will have no choice but to help us with a high PP if we finish the season winless even if we win 1 or 2 its still pretty dismal.
Better that they support weaker teams in a strong draft, especially with another strong one following.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Absolutely concur, the AFL will have no choice but to help us with a high PP if we finish the season winless even if we win 1 or 2 its still pretty dismal.
Better that they support weaker teams in a strong draft, especially with another strong one following.

I wouldn't be basing a strategy around a PP

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting thought, to be perfectly honest my first reaction was that it was nonsense, but with more thought, it
makes good sense. Our first next year is likely to be higher than seven, we can get a talented kid in with extra an
development year. (The negative is if we have earmarked our first for a Shiel or similar, and yes I know will be FA)
Keep our first, 1 or whatever it becomes, take Luko or a gun mid. Back up with 7 for a Smith, Rozee, even Rankine
if he slides, maybe a "bull" Hately or Bytel to develop.
If I was North I would be trying to move up before a possible bid on Thomas. Regardless though you would think if Thomas is expected to get a bid before their pick it'll be on the table in some form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back