List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Honey - More speed, dual sided, great bloodlines

Phillips - Sticky fingers, elite left peg forward/midfielder

Martin - Nothing we don't know, bargain
From what I have seen of Phillips he looks a bit gangly and clumsy like he needs to grow into his body, interesting choice a forward but not a small one at 187cm.

In fairness to KM, for example he had Philp going at #24 to Brisbane, but much lower in his own rankings as there was talk that they were keen on him

Therefore, rightly or wrongly, he is grading clubs based on his own power ratings rather than those that are actually in the know.

Anyway, I've taken no notice of "grades" since we according to many won the 2010 draft by landing all of Watson, McCarthy and Mitchell.

Yeah, but as everyone has been saying, it was an even draft pool outside the top few.

So whilst the "30th" rated player going at 20 might look like a reach, in the context of the draft there's bugger all different between 15 and 20, 20 and 30, 30 and 50 etc. Even draft, perfect opportunity for clubs to targets types or attributes they valued.

Interesting Knightmare gave about 6 clubs an A+ in his review yet managed to give us a C.

Picked Kemp at 17 who he rated top 5.
Called Philp a reach at 20 despite having him in his own top 30.
Called Ramsey a low production production player despite having multiple 30+ games when moving into the midfield.
Selected for needs in the rookie draft where other clubs recycled players (we have been smashed for this over the years).
Failed to mention one Jack Martin in the PSD.

We/SOS have really rustled some feathers this off season. Couldn’t be happier with how it’s worked out.
To be fair I think it was only for the main draft and said Ramsay was high production not low.
He has a weird ranking style and chops and changes all the time but I think the gist of it was Kemp good value but a risk because of his knee. Philp and Ramsay not rounded players.

So speed and footskills as a priority? That was our glaring needs after all

Not concerned with the perceived notion of needing small forwards
Betts and DC can be our small forwards for 2020, and go hard again for Papley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to interpret KM's ratings with a filter, essentially the inverse of whatever he specifies is the likely true long-term result.
KM's knowledge on players is great, but his ratings on clubs are often clouded.

We needed speed - check
We needed foot skills - check
We needed tackling/pressure - check
We needed small fwd/HFF depth - check
We needed rebound 50 depth - check

OK, we didn't get a small/lockdown def - but clubs very rarely draft specifically for that
We didn't get another ruck - but I am ok with that. Krooz, Pittonet, TDK is enough. One senior guy, one backup, one for the future.

Very happy with the types of players we picked.

giphy.gif

Had to laugh at the panic stations and melts after the trade period on this board, whilst SOS didn't panic at all. Been a wonderful few days for the club, and I am one happy camper :)

Draft rankings the day after the draft are a bit naff anyway. Most of the time they dont account for needs and assess based on where they rated player which differs to all of the professionals who saw it differently.

Im sure Knightmare is thrilled that Collingwood got Rantell and Bianco later in the draft, but at the end of the day.....people who get paid to draft players thought other players were better

Interesting Knightmare gave about 6 clubs an A+ in his review yet managed to give us a C.

Picked Kemp at 17 who he rated top 5.
Called Philp a reach at 20 despite having him in his own top 30.
Called Ramsey a low production production player despite having multiple 30+ games when moving into the midfield.
Selected for needs in the rookie draft where other clubs recycled players (we have been smashed for this over the years).
Failed to mention one Jack Martin in the PSD.

We/SOS have really rustled some feathers this off season. Couldn’t be happier with how it’s worked out.
You mean the bloke who still thinks Smith will be a better player than Walsh, and thought SOS was daft for trading in Stocker. Who give a * what that hack thinks.

Trying to work out if you think that's a good thing, a bad thing, or just some random unimportant trivia :p

Yes, after I posted I realised I was just stating the bleeding obvious. Look, not all my posts can be 24-carat gold.

P.S. I’m stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s an interesting one because on one hand we absolutely did but if Serong made it to 9 then we wouldn’t have.
Most of our picks seem explosive and quick more so then great on the spread???

Speed helps the spread

I think the tweaking of Teague's plan will be obviously in the NY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back