List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean the bloke who still thinks Smith will be a better player than Walsh, and thought SOS was daft for trading in Stocker. Who give a fu** what that hack thinks.
Stocker is 21-1 for nab rising star next year. Get on. Another option is TDK who is unlisted atm. I’m currently discussing with sportsbet a number. Could be BIG.

Yeah, just read articles about 10 minutes back. When I saw he was related to Gary Honey, I got super excited. Gary Honey was bloody elite athlete. If only Carl Leiws can beat you in his time, that shows you how elite the family genes are for sport. Love it!!!!
I’m gonna have a crack at this from memory. Reckon he jumped 8.18 for Silver. Had a PB of 8.32.

Back in a sec...

I’m gonna have a crack at this from memory. Reckon he jumped 8.18 for Silver. Had a PB of 8.32.

Back in a sec...
I literally just watched it on youtube.... him and other guy had same maximum jump distance but on count back Gary Honey next best distance was better so he got the silver medal. I do not remember us having any other track stars in that era so have never forgot him since

You are clearly not getting it.
Think it through mate.
It is not about Sharp at all. come on, THINK!!!!
AFL can knock back trades that clearly seem way out of whack. They need approving.
Pick 27 for pick 11 next year is not ******* normal trading.
Come on man, you are smarter than this. Surely!
It’s not normal because it’s new. Times have changed. It’s got everything to do with Sharp and how they rate him. What is irrelevant is the picks because they know the player they are getting. This is the entire point of live trading because the value of each pick is totally different to the number they are.

If you are so worried about the number of the draft picks then just compare him to someone like LOB who we took with a better pick then what they traded for him. They compare pretty well.

Last edited:
It’s got everything to do with Sharp and how they rate him
You clearly do not get it.
The trade was done about draft picks.
Ken Wood is looking at that to approve.
He is not looking at Jermey Sharp because he is not even drafted at that point...lol... seriously... think man.. THINK!!!
You obviously been drinking...lol...

Thank you.

Can I ask who we wanted when we were considering trading back into the 2nd round on Thursday night?

We were never seriously considering getting back into the second round after we secured Philp as far as I understand.

In fact, there may have been a suggestion we had done enough pick trading and that we should be conservative in keeping a good base to bounce off for next year’s trade period.

Anyone who is disappointed by not picking Robertson (or Williams, or etc) or suggesting we should have down more to trade into the second round doesn’t understand how this draft group was rated by almost all clubs. We made the best out of an ordinary situation. After that we picked for potential.

Anyone who is disappointed by not picking Robertson (or Williams, or etc) or suggesting we should have down more to trade into the second round doesn’t understand how this draft group was rated by almost all clubs. We made the best out of an ordinary situation. After that we picked for potential.

Very much the way it seemed to me and it makes for good sense to do so, given our list.

Sooner strike gold in one of the players we picked later because of development potential and opportunity, than to 'hit' on three players that look better, but never have the chance to make good because we have the same types who far advanced anyway.

I like what we did. Speed and forwards.

Stocker is 21-1 for nab rising star next year. Get on. Another option is TDK who is unlisted atm. I’m currently discussing with sportsbet a number. Could be BIG.

Get on Kemp for the Rising Star in 2021. 18 months of training with Russell under his belt, he’ll be an absolute unit.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I feel as though I have been describing both non-stop! :)

Philp - Inside mid. Terrific athlete with an outstanding burst of pace which he uses to separate from a contest. Loves the contested side of the game and is a very strong tackler. Disposal needs some work but it's not terrible for a contested player. Needs to clean up his handling but i think that comes in time. Outside game needs work and from what I've seen he doesn't at this stage have the ability to play elsewhere. But his endurance seems very good so I feel there is big scope there. I think he has enormous upside and could well develop into one of the best mids in this draft.

Honey - I don't love Honey as much as Philp as a prospect but I do love the value he represents as a rookie. He's that hybrid mid/forward type who doesn't get a lot of the ball but he doesn't need a lot of it to have an impact. Very quick, terrific athlete, strong defensively, very clean hands. Endurance is OK but can be improved. Hits the scoreboard. If we can get him more involved I feel he can be a terrific footballer.

I'm with you on both of them. Great selections :)

I'm hoping Philp turns into our version of Dangerfield. I know that's an ambitious goal, but his upside is enormous given his strengths are his speed, acceleration and winning contested ball.

Probably hasn't been discussed much, but I wouldn't be against Honey training as a small defender. Has the pace to break the lines and shutdown some of the smaller, quicker and more dangerous forwards that we've struggled with in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are clearly not getting it.
Think it through mate.
It is not about Sharp at all. come on, THINK!!!!
AFL can knock back trades that clearly seem way out of whack. They need approving.
Pick 27 for pick 11 next year is not ******* normal trading.
Come on man, you are smarter than this. Surely!
We traded pick 11 this year for picks 17 and 22.
GC traded next year’s 11 for 27 and 62.
GC should value its picks much more. Could certainly have used a future second and third from the Martin trade instead ...

Finbar an auto? Why?

The kid is 19 FFS.
Jeremias i'm not trying to be disrespectful to him and i would love to be proven wrong however the reality is a lot of draftees just simply don't make it past their initial 2 years. That's not trying to take a pot shot at him that's simply what happens in this sport. Is it fair? Of course not! Especially to young men trying to find a career for themselves but this is not at my doing, nor is me having an opinion on it wrong either.

Why i have him in this bucket is i haven't seen any real AFL level traits shine through as yet. This year may be different and i hope so for his sake but for other recent draftees and even rookie selections i've seen things that lead me to believe they are a chance for a game or even another year. Kerr, Garlett, Schumacher all showed more in their first year as did Le Bois yet ended up off the list. Schumacher had a great 2nd year last year yet he is now off the list after 2 years. Look at our 2011 draft of Watson, McCarthy, Mitchell & McInnes... all of these guys looked brilliant as draftees and there was so much hope for them yet none of them went on to make it. Footy is a brutal industry.

Plus we now have a lot of top end talent on our list so it will be harder than ever to break through. Am i writing him off? Hell no. But the realist in me tells me that he is a very low chance of being offered an extension.

No, I wish I was drunk too....lol

Sharp happened AFTER THE TRADE.....
Think....
Haha mate the GC recruiter said himself that they were trading for a player not for a pick. You can’t trade players after they are drafted so this is how it’s done. It’s new but it’s not that difficult to get your head around.

We traded pick 11 this year for picks 17 and 22.
GC traded next year’s 11 for 27 and 62.
GC should value its picks much more. Could certainly have used a future second and third from the Martin trade instead ...
It’s hard to know what Geelong would’ve accepted. Apparently other clubs before Geelong wouldn’t take the deal so this is what it looks like several clubs at least valued it at. It may say abit about next years draft.
I personally don’t see him as being any better or worse of a prospect then LOB so pick 11 in an apparent weak/compromised draft may not be silly overs. It will also certainly be pushed further out after bids are matched.

It’s hard to know what Geelong would’ve accepted. Apparently other clubs before Geelong wouldn’t take the deal so this is what it looks like several clubs at least valued it at. It may say abit about next years draft.
I personally don’t see him as being any better or worse of a prospect then LOB so pick 11 in an apparent weak/compromised draft may not be silly overs. It will also certainly be pushed further out after bids are matched.

Pick 11 is guaranteed

Cats will field offers of clubs wanting to get ahead of bids, such as the Dogs

Jeremias i'm not trying to be disrespectful to him and i would love to be proven wrong however the reality is a lot of draftees just simply don't make it past their initial 2 years. That's not trying to take a pot shot at him that's simply what happens in this sport. Is it fair? Of course not! Especially to young men trying to find a career for themselves but this is not at my doing, nor is me having an opinion on it wrong either.

Why i have him in this bucket is i haven't seen any real AFL level traits shine through as yet. This year may be different and i hope so for his sake but for other recent draftees and even rookie selections i've seen things that lead me to believe they are a chance for a game or even another year. Kerr, Garlett, Schumacher all showed more in their first year as did Le Bois yet ended up off the list. Schumacher had a great 2nd year last year yet he is now off the list after 2 years. Look at our 2011 draft of Watson, McCarthy, Mitchell & McInnes... all of these guys looked brilliant as draftees and there was so much hope for them yet none of them went on to make it. Footy is a brutal industry.

Plus we now have a lot of top end talent on our list so it will be harder than ever to break through. Am i writing him off? Hell no. But the realist in me tells me that he is a very low chance of being offered an extension.

Not having a go at you Yubby, I am just so tired of the constant criticism directed towards Finbar.

The kid is 19 and has just completed his first year on a senior list.

When selected he was a long term project, and remains underdeveloped, which is not unexpected. But looking at pictures of him over the past few weeks the physical progress made is clear, which is a good sign and certainly a step in the right direction.

To select a real project and cut him after just two years is plain wrong IMO, unless there are other issues at play which we do not know about. For the exact same reason I was supportive of the 2 year deal given to Polson mid 2018.

Kids develop at different rates and whilst list spots are valuable, there is still room to keep projects on the list for a few years, even if it does eventuate that it was a year or two too many.

I have no idea if he will make it, just as I had no idea last year whether Polson would. I agree right now it seems more unlikely than likely at this stage, but to be so certain now that he won't make it and that he won't be around in 2021 is premature and just plain wrong IMO.

There are at least a handful of players I would have ahead of Finbar to make way at the end of 2020 anyway, and that is without seeing what he may produce on the field over the next 10 months.

who is seriously having a go at finbar though? I think the original pokes were about how unlikely a footballer he looked - this year it's been astonishment at his change of body shape - he's cult - like you J...........

Last edited:
Haha mate the GC recruiter said himself that they were trading for a player not for a pick. You can’t trade players after they are drafted so this is how it’s done. It’s new but it’s not that difficult to get your head around.

Most/some people are yet to get their head around the concept that once you can directly put a name to a pick No. then the No. has different values to different clubs.

Last year Pick 19 had much more value to us than others because we valued Stocker at 6.

This year Pick 27 had much more value to GC than others because they valued Sharp in their Top 15.

Geelong had a win because they likely had no-one in their Top 20 available at their pick at Pick 27. And they got Pick 11 for it albeit a year later and with a fairly big known chance of it drifting out a handful of places. A win for Geelong for sure.

But it is fine for GC also, because they got one of their Top 15 players for a future Pick 11. That is fine for GC. They now get to get him into training str8 away instead of waiting 12 months for someone else.

Modern trading is about everyone winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back