List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of curiosity, there was a rumour that we were trying to trade back into the second round on draft night.

Does anyone know who we were after?

Out of curiosity, there was a rumour that we were trying to trade back into the second round on draft night.

Does anyone know who we were after?

I was dreaming Sharp would slip to pick 43...lol.. Gold Coast took him at 27.
So we took Ramsey. I personally got no idea internally whether we wanted Sharp but I personally would have been willing to trade our 2nd rounder of next year and our pick in 70's to move up to pick 27. Cats would not have accepted it anyway. What they got from Gold Coast was an absolute steal of pick 11, next year and pick 64 of this draft. Not sure draft even got to those later picks for Geelong anyway so pick 64 or 73 really meant nothing of note to go with future draft picks in any deals to get that pick.

I was dreaming Sharp would slip to pick 43...lol.. Gold Coast took him at 27.
So we took Ramsey. I personally got no idea internally whether we wanted Sharp but I personally would have been willing to trade our 2nd rounder of next year and our pick in 70's to move up to pick 27. Cats would not have accepted it anyway. What they got from Gold Coast was an absolute steal of pick 11, next year and pick 64 of this draft. Not sure draft even got to those later picks for Geelong anyway so pick 64 or 73 really meant nothing of note to go with future draft picks in any deals to get that pick.

You weren't the only one.

At that point in the draft, Sharp was one I was hoping SOS would trade in for due to his pace and penetrating kick.

Will be interested to see how he goes at GC.

We also believe Richmond was looking at him. Not saying Richmond would have taken him, just that there was a chance apparently.

We weren't looking at using any picks after our 43, so using 56 to get up from 22 to 20 was probably the best use we could make of 56. Regardless of who we or anyone else actually wanted or liked, it just eliminated 2 clubs from "maybe" getting the player we wanted.
Richmond were clearly looking at him, whether they would have taken him we won’t know, but for the the price of pick 56 it was worth it to get the player we wanted. It worked out well for Port as well securing the coveted first pick of the second round to get an extra second rounder.

I can see why we weren’t able to trade up with Adelaide, our future second pick was probably not good enough for the risk to them, and our future first plus pick 9 would’ve been a massive price to pay for one player. I was actually nervous watching Adelaide’s pick that we would use our future first, I‘m still scarred from the first half of the 2019 season.

You weren't the only one.

At that point in the draft, Sharp was one I was hoping SOS would trade in for due to his pace and penetrating kick.

Will be interested to see how he goes at GC.
I think we ended up with the better cheaper option than Sharp in Ramsay, he has the same great pace is a great kick and what he has that Sharp doesn’t is a contested/inside game, will be interesting to see who becomes a better player but I’m more than happy with Ramsay.

From my perspective, it's usually a great sign if Knightmare doesn't rate your drafting.

For anyone concerned about the Philp selection, I suggest you watch 3 or 4 NAB league games of the Northern Knights and get back to me.
I'm certainly not concerned about having him as part of our draft hall, seems like a kid with a great attitude and upside but I was taken aback by the way we got him. We must really rate him because it seems like we took a bit of collateral to make sure we got him. What happened, was trading our pick in the 50s really necessary and did it mean we took an extra rookie instead of selecting another player in the draft? The first person who tells me we would have picked Josh Honey anyway gets a red card.

Despite all the crap he gets on here, I really like Dylan Shiel.

But missing out on him was a sliding doors moment that

Arguably delivered us Setterfield
Contributed to us getting Martin
Ensured we ended up with Walsh
Kept picks to get Kemp & more

ShielDay 2018. The gift that keeps on giving.
The private jet to Noosa charade worked perfectly for us. Forced the Dopers to go twice as hard for Shiel, leaving the spoils for us.

Setterfield, Martin, Walsh & Kemp vs Shiel. Tough choice.

I'm certainly not concerned about having him as part of our draft hall, seems like a kid with a great attitude and upside but I was taken aback by the way we got him. We must really rate him because it seems like we took a bit of collateral to make sure we got him. What happened, was trading our pick in the 50s really necessary and did it mean we took an extra rookie instead of selecting another player in the draft? The first person who tells me we would have picked Josh Honey anyway gets a red card.
You may not want to hear it but I’d suggest Honey would’ve been very likely. Maybe we would’ve traded the pick for a future pick and then taken Honey in the rookie, who knows. Have a look at Twomey’s phantom draft regarding who we put a lot of time into, Philp and Honey. No mention of Ramsay mind you so who knows.

You may not want to hear it but I’d suggest Honey would’ve been very likely. Maybe we would’ve traded the pick for a future pick and then taken Honey in the rookie, who knows. Have a look at Twomey’s phantom draft regarding who we put a lot of time into, Philp and Honey. No mention of Ramsay mind you so who knows.

Ramsey was definately mentioned by Twomey in his guys to watch for Carlton article pre draft.

I can't Recall Phillips getting a mention, but Ramsey and Honey were.

By the way we dished off our later 2 picks in higher up deals i reckon it's pretty clear we intended to use just the 3 ND picks and then rookie Honey. Pretty sure Twomey(or Balmer maybe) even mentioned pre draft we were only likely to take 3 selections.

After missing on our top group of 6 or 7 as probably expected , and knocking back Young Reid's extortion attempt(worth a shot for him, however futile), i think we got our targets in Kemp, Philp, Ramsey and Honey at their expected spots. Philips a final decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The private jet to Noosa charade worked perfectly for us. Forced the Dopers to go twice as hard for Shiel, leaving the spoils for us.

Setterfield, Martin, Walsh & Kemp vs Shiel. Tough choice.

Not that it matters at this stage but I thought we had offered our 2019 first for Shiel so it was really Shiel vs Stocker, Kemp and Philp. We may have also included a second rounder which means Setters or Martin but I don’t recall. In any case we ended up ahead by a long way.

Likewise missing out on Papley did allow us to get Kemp + Philp which could be better longer term especially if we end up with Papley at the end of 2020 anyway.

For a draft we didn’t plan to be very active in, we have picked up some real talent and potentially 2-4 best 22 premiership players. We now have 30+ players who could develop into Finals caliber players which is pretty exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lol. He hasn't rated any of our draft since SOS took over. Didn't Rate Mckay, Cunners, Curnow, Walsh, SPS, Tdk, Willow, Stocker, Kemp, Philp. The list goes on.
In fairness to Knightmare he didn't rate those players before they were drafted to Carlton, but some people take his opinion as if it means something. Just one of many.

Isn't the real comparison that we could have sat on 20/22 until the second evening, traded down a spot with Brisbane (clipping the ticket) and then taking 11 from GC.
With the option to trade back in at 37 when Brisbane were matching *.

Isn't the real comparison that we could have sat on 20/22 until the second evening, traded down a spot with Brisbane (clipping the ticket) and then taking 11 from GC.

Yes and no.

Yes - I would have liked to have held the first pick of the 2nd round. It seems to be the perfect opportunity to do deal.

No - You can't assume that every deal that got done by other other teams might have been achievable by us. Once you go down that path, almost every team becomes a loser by missing out on the deals that other teams did.

If we didn't do the trade, it means another player is off the board, and all the machinations change. Whether that's Port using their pick (perhaps on Williams), or trading it with a different Club.

Can anyone confirm if Sam Murray got picked up by anyone during the draft period? I can't find anything so assume he didn't, and still a dfa.

We could do worse if were looking to take someone in the ssp or mid season draft if a spot becomes open.

Can anyone confirm if Sam Murray got picked up by anyone during the draft period? I can't find anything so assume he didn't, and still a dfa.

We could do worse if were looking to take someone in the ssp or mid season draft if a spot becomes open.

I assume Pies left a spot open on the list with aim to re-list him over summer if things go well for him.
Most clubs would just allow that to happen unless Sam himself said he would be happy to go elsewhere. Is he even clear to play yet for any club ?

I'm all for targeting players, but 'putting time into' suggests that we'd take those players regardless of who 'slipped'. I would have liked a chance to get Ruscoe or Riccardi. I hope Windows is wrong in his assessment of the probability of Honey making the grade.

I assume Pies left a spot open on the list with aim to re-list him over summer if things go well for him.
Most clubs would just allow that to happen unless Sam himself said he would be happy to go elsewhere. Is he even clear to play yet for any club ?

Pies are not happening for him, they’ve gone a different path hence the delisting. There was though MFC, or a couple of others were interested - thought Richmond was another.

Think he can resume training from mid-Nov and play again in Feb ‘20.

I just finished watching a couple of replays of our wins over GC and Adelaide and something that really stood out was just how good Kennedy is with his kicking, not only for goal which in itself is elite but his field kicking and delivery to players inside 50 is just elite, weights his kicks perfectly and puts it to the forwards advantage every time. If we can get him up and covering the ground a bit better he will be a massive asset for us forward of centre.
With Charlie and Harry in doubt for the start of the season Kennedy could have a big impact early in the year as a marking forward, hope Russell really gets him up and about for Rd 1 as we could really need him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back