List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If it’s a choice between Serong and Kemp then it’s Kemp for sure. We will just have to wait to see him.

For me if Serong is the only one left I’d rather trade down. 14 and 24 with Cats would be awesome.
We had a decent chance to assess both Kemp and Serong when they trained with our group pre season.
We have Kemp's ACL to evaluate, however can well afford for him to be given the time to rehab and develop.
I am not overly excited by the prospect of Serong, however if you had asked me at this time last year I would have jumped
at it. He has developed in to more mid than forward, and we are a little overstocked for smaller midfield types. Just how he
may accept and perform as a forward first is for the professionals to assess.

It is funny for the first time in a long time I haven't thought we DESPERATELY need a certain type. EG when we needed key position players but went for Kane Lucas and Blaine Boekhorst or when we needed mids and traded for Jaksch.

I think we forget at times what a state our list was actually in for a long time.

Geelong's 14 could be well placed for Weightman.

Geelong's 24 also likely to net a reasonable prospect - either a midfielder or an outside/defensive runner.

Weightman at 14 would be fantastic, but I can't see him making it past 13 at the Dogs pick. Could take a massive swing and take Pickett, but I'm not sure if he's good enough to take that early. If Weightman is gone I would love one of Deven Robertson (unlikely to be there), Trent Rivers (likely to be there), or even a cheeky bid on Maginness (likely to be there).

24 could be a good spot to take one of the players that have slid due to missing most of the year, either Dylan Williams or Cooper Stephens, but I haven't seen enough of them to comment on it properly.

If Trent Bianco or Will Day are there at 24 that'd be huge for us and would love either of them, but it seems unlikely.

Weightman at 14 would be fantastic, but I can't see him making it past 13 at the Dogs pick. Could take a massive swing and take Pickett, but I'm not sure if he's good enough to take that early. If Weightman is gone I would love one of Deven Robertson (unlikely to be there), Trent Rivers (likely to be there), or even a cheeky bid on Maginness (likely to be there).

24 could be a good spot to take one of the players that have slid due to missing most of the year, either Dylan Williams or Cooper Stephens, but I haven't seen enough of them to comment on it properly.

If Trent Bianco or Will Day are there at 24 that'd be huge for us and would love either of them, but it seems unlikely.

Been suggested the Dog's may make a cheeky play for Pickett early in the draft, as they've apparently been "putting plenty of work into him" over the last 12 months. Not sure how they'd compare him to Weightman if both were available.

If we have a pick in the 20's up our sleeve, I wouldn't even mind if we went early on Pickett at 14. As you said, there are a few who could slide into the 20s, and even those rated "thereabouts" look to be OK prospects. Nothing exceptional, but there's a bit of everything there. De Koning or Dow if we want to continue the family stuff (and they're rated there-ish anyway, so it's not exactly a reach), Williams or Stephens if they slide due to injury, Taylor if we want to hedge our bets on another small.

2a) I think Geelong will come hard for our pick 9 if Luke Jackson (unlikely) or McAsey (likely) are still available.
Luke Jackson seems to be the wildcard in this draft - Freo already linked to him, Demons say they are keen, and Geelong would love to get him given their relatively thin quality ruck stocks.

The question is where he'll be picked up. Freo could possibly land him at pick 7 given the Demons have pick 8...although the Demons possibly said publicly they are interested in him to force Freo's hand, but just want them to burn a pick to get access to players they actually want.

If he is still available at pick 9, Geelong would possibly be itching to trade up to get access to him. That's where we could broker a deal to suit us depending on which players are still available.

In other words, I have no idea what I'm talking about :p

I'd think if any of say our Top 7 are still there at 9, then we will keep it and pick him. We aren't screaming out for extra 18yo's to do any old 2 for 1 trade.

But in saying that, (if our Top 7 are gone and our next fave 1 or 2 can get to 14) then 9 and say 43 for 14 and 17 would be an option with Geelong If they are desperate for a player there. In this draft 9 seems a pretty sweet spot and 14 is just outside the sweet spot.

But you never know who recruiters particular fancies are, ie Stocker at 6 last year.

Jack Martin has nominated terms for a long-term contract of more than $3 million in the hope it will knock other suitors out of the race and land him at Carlton next year.
The out-of-contract Gold Coast player has demanded a five-year deal – on more than $1 million next year – from any club that is to select him in the draft. A source indicated the total terms are in excess of $3 million for the five years.

Martin lodged the contract terms on Monday morning with the AFL – the last day he had to take himself off the Gold Coast list and put himself up for the draft, nominating contract requirements, if he had any.
It was open to Martin to nominate for the national draft but he has only put himself in for the pre-season draft.

Re: Martin.
Hmmm, so his terms are $1m for a first year and a $600k+ ave over 5 years. All this for a guy that, despite huge potential and up-side, has hardly set the football world on fire. He averages less than a goal a game, has never had more than 30 touches of the football in a game and had played nearly a 100 games. Strange days indeed - and we will do it.
If he goes to the next level we will look like champs, if he plods along its a bust.

Paying Jack Martin 3M over 5 and 1M up front first year is far from ideal imo. Not the kinda player and record you would ideally want to make that kind of committment to. But it wasn't our preferred scenario. Our preferred scenario was the trade we offered for probably Martin for 4 years on 2.3M.

So with GC stymieing that option, we are spending 700k for an extra Martin year plus keeping our 2nd and 3rd pick next year.

Not ideal imo, but it is what it is. We clearly have structured our payments to have the money available.

700K that we have budgeted for an extra Martin year plus 2 mid range draft picks. If he plays like Dion Prestia it will be considered great. If he plays like Brock McLean it will be considered stupid.

Over to you Jack and Teague and Team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance we can get player with these sort of highlights?

It still looks like being Stephens as the best fit for the CFC for me, with Serong second.

I will honestly be fine with any of the 3 to 13 crew plus 1 or 2 personal favorites at Pick 9. There is a fine argument for all of them for us. Except McAsey who i rate in the Top 10 but not for us and i don't fancy Weightman that high. Really not sure yet who i'm "barracking for" to get at Pick 9.

Let's hope we get the one with the animal appetite to be the best like that bloke in your clip.

I will honestly be fine with any of the 3 to 13 crew plus 1 or 2 personal favorites at Pick 9. There is a fine argument for all of them for us. Except McAsey who i rate in the Top 10 but not for us and i don't fancy Weightman that high. Really not sure yet who i'm "barracking for" to get at Pick 9.

Let's hope we get the one with the animal appetite to be the best like that bloke in your clip.h.

We'll all get our chance to barrack for who we want and boo for those we don't want. It's all in a bit of fun though.

I've just found over time that needs opens up opportunity, continuity and the better development and for me at least, Stephens and Serong look as likely first round starters for us, whereas some others like Ash and Kemp may not.

I don't really care for who the best player may be in time but just for the best player for us.

Any chance we can get player with these sort of highlights?

It's absurd how skinny Fyfe was in his draft year.

Now you look at him and he's a beast.

Hmmmm, I guess I've also put on a lot of weight since I was 18....

Let's hope we get the one with the animal appetite to be the best like that bloke in your clip.
I’m increasingly confident the Cats will want McAsey and trade up to our pick. ‘Trading up’ usually comes at a 300-400 points premium. And I’d expect there to be an extra two pick gap (Maginess and Henry bids) between 9 and 14. Will be most likely 10 and 16. That’s a gap of 328. Add a 300-400 premium and it’s close to their second rounder (24 will be like 26?). We could give them 43 and get their 3rd rounder next year back to sweeten. Or anything really. Not worth spending time on.

I’m expecting us to trade 9/10 down with most likely Cats, maybe GC. Cats 14 and 24 will be involved. Just my instinct.

I’m increasingly confident the Cats will want McAsey and trade up to our pick. ‘Trading up’ usually comes at a 300-400 points premium. And I’d expect there to be an extra two pick gap (Maginess and Henry bids) between 9 and 14. Will be most likely 10 and 16. That’s a gap of 328. Add a 300-400 premium and it’s close to their second rounder (24 will be like 26?). We could give them 43 and get their 3rd rounder next year back to sweeten. Or anything really. Not worth spending time on.

I’m expecting us to trade 9/10 down with most likely Cats, maybe GC. Cats 14 and 24 will be involved. Just my instinct.

Still rather just take one of Kemp, Jackson, Robertson, Ash, Serong or Stephens.

Trade our 2020 second rounder for a pick in the late 20's if someone we like is still on the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back