List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it's perfectly logical from their POV. Pity we can never benefit from these charities.

We have benefited plenty over the past few years.

Our trades with the Giants have overall been very beneficial, and we're about to get a player for free who clearly most seem to rate as a first round pick calibre footballer.

Oh, forget the last bit. You said charity, not basket case.

I feel we are already too tall with Harry, Charlie, Gov, SOS up forward and Cripps, Setters, Kennedy and even Dow through the middle.

IMO we are short one Prestia/Neale/Treloar type smaller accumulator and that to me is Robertson, who is seemingly ready made and hard as nails. Stephens also works but is rising by the day.

If not, then make the most of Geelong’s situation and split the picks heavily in our favour. Plenty of pace in the 15-25 group.
That's completely understandable, Kemp has a point of difference to some of those noted though in that he's actually quite quick - I feel if he lives up to his potential (and with a slight degree of luck with his knee) that he could be the best player from this draft.
I do agree re: Robertson, he'd be able to replace ED in our midfield rotation in coming years with his leadership & grunt work

The sell will be simple.

SA lad Stephens, inside/outside mid, good user, "we would have picked him at 4 anyway".

Pick 19 from 2018 becomes a late first in 2020, the year in which they'll go hard after Lukosius.

The Lokosius dream still kicking is it? All this(2 years) for Dylan Stephens? really?

I agree that will be the sell though. It writes itself. Don't think it holds weight though. Adelaide list management are an interesting watch for sure.

GWS as usual doing stupid s**t like giving up pick 15-18 to move up 2 spots. They get away with it because their list was built immaculately.

Not really.
They get two very good players in this years draft, and then worry about next year in 12 months time.

As close to a win/win for both clubs as it gets.

It's all pretty much been a waste of time for Adelaide. Their rationale for the initial trade was that they hadn't had a Top 5 pick ever i don't think. They were planning on and selling it as a Top 3. Now they are turning it into a Pick 7.

All they have done is basically turn a Pick 19 into a Pick 15 to 25 two years later(imo most likely 19-23ish) and in a lesser draft while moving from 9 to 7 in this even draft. It's a goodish deal for where they sit now with not much difference between 4 and 7, but it makes a mockery of their original stance.

Their sell of this will be interesting to the masses who don't know the intracacies. They were supposed to be expecting a gun Top3 player.

Guess Young Reid didn't have the confidence to back himself and follow thru on a Top pick.

I think the Stocker trade backfired, with 1) the Adelaide-Carlton spread narrower than they expected 2) the GC PP diluting it further 3) the evenness of the top dozen picks not working in their favour.

The trade with GWS is smart, particularly if they wanted someone like Stephens who should be there at their delayed pick.

Sure, the sales pitch is not ideal. But the Stocker trade was a sunk cost. Today's trade has made the best of a bad situation for them IMO.

I think the Stocker trade backfired, with 1) the Adelaide-Carlton spread narrower than they expected 2) the GC PP diluting it further 3) the evenness of the top dozen picks not working in their favour.

The trade with GWS is smart, particularly if they wanted someone like Stephens who should be there at their delayed pick.

Sure, the sales pitch is not ideal. But the Stocker trade was a sunk cost. Today's trade has made the best of a bad situation for them IMO.

Yeah i agree this is a safe way to get them back to pretty much square 1, but the initial intention to get an elite pick has either backfired or been squibbed or both. I'm real iffy on Stephens at 9. I can't believe they had him in the 4 spot. He's not that good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that factoring in the GC PP, academy selections and potential FAs Crouch/Daniher/Grundy/Viney etc. Could blow out to 24-26 if things don’t swing their way.

Good deal if they have their heart set on Stephens mind you.
No it wasn't, but will still pick from the same players, unless somebody doesn't match a bid.

You can pretty much put Robertson 8 and Ash 9

Wanted Stephens or Robertson
I think that's how it will go.
Disappointing really, I was hoping for Robertson or Stephens.
Good thing we already had Serong and Kemp at the club!
Would prefer Serong, but happy for the club to trade back and pick up T Dow and another speculative wildcard.
Anyway just have to wait and see

I think that's how it will go.
Disappointing really, I was hoping for Robertson or Stephens.
Good thing we already had Serong and Kemp at the club!
Would prefer Serong, but happy for the club to trade back and pick up T Dow and another speculative wildcard.
Anyway just have to wait and see

Robertson could still be available at our selection.

Wouldn't be surprised to see McAsey drafted in the top 10, especially by Melbourne given they just traded Frost and Oscar McDonald's form was probably not up to expectations.

That leaves May and Lever as their two KPD's and in saying that, I wouldn't really classify Lever as a KPD. He's more of a 3rd tall intercepting defender.

I wouldn't be penning Stephens into Adelaide's Pick 7 yet. He could go there, but he could go as low as 12 or so. I wouldn't rule the KPP McAsey out of 7 or a few others to the Crows.

I personally want others ahead of Stephens at 9 for us so it would suit me fine if he went to Adelaide, but he is rather generic, and i would be surprised to see him go as high as 7 let alone that he was in the mix for their 4 anyway.

I wouldn't be penning Stephens into Adelaide's Pick 7 yet. He could go there, but he could go as low as 12 or so. I wouldn't rule the KPP McAsey out of 7 or a few others to the Crows.

I personally want others ahead of Stephens at 9 for us so it would suit me fine if he went to Adelaide, but he is rather generic, and i would be surprised to see him go as high as 7 let alone that he was in the mix for their 4 anyway.

Would make sense given they just traded away Alex Keath.

Talia is also closer to the end than the start.

Robertson could still be available at our selection.

Wouldn't be surprised to see McAsey drafted in the top 10, especially by Melbourne given they just traded Frost and Oscar McDonald's form was probably not up to expectations.

That leaves May and Lever as their two KPD's and in saying that, I wouldn't really classify Lever as a KPD. He's more of a 3rd tall intercepting defender.
No chance.
Will be long gone. No one will let the next Pendlebury slide unless they need a specific player, and Freo will not risk him.
They are going for him and then Henry in that order.

No chance.
Will be long gone. No one will let the next Pendlebury slide unless they need a specific player, and Freo will not risk him.
They are going for him and then Henry in that order.

Not so sure about that but I guess we'll know next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back