List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

is there any player in this draft that looks set to hit the ground running with the same quality as walsh? asking for that same idiot friend..........
Nobody in my uneducated opinion.

But if I was picking a player who'll have the biggest impact next season I'd pick Stephens. Most would say Rowell, but he doesn't have the endurance base that Walsh had.

Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Heat
is there any player in this draft that looks set to hit the ground running with the same quality as walsh? asking for that same idiot friend..........
Matt Rowell is the obvious one, pundits are saying he can have an even bigger impact than Walsh but I can't see that happening personally. Should be good from the get go though.

I think Deven Robertson isn't far behind, his skillset and athleticism means he should be raring to go round 1.

JoeyPBLUES

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I feel we are already too tall with Harry, Charlie, Gov, SOS up forward and Cripps, Setters, Kennedy and even Dow through the middle.

IMO we are short one Prestia/Neale/Treloar type smaller accumulator and that to me is Robertson, who is seemingly ready made and hard as nails. Stephens also works but is rising by the day.

If not, then make the most of Geelong’s situation and split the picks heavily in our favour. Plenty of pace in the 15-25 group.

That position could be filled by a Fisher or Setterfield (i know Setters is bigger) or even Gibbo with a full preseason can’t write off internal growth so as much as I would like a Stephens if we miss out there’s still other options imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
That position could be filled by a Fisher or Setterfield (i know Setters is bigger) or even Gibbo with a full preseason can’t write off internal growth so as much as I would like a Stephens if we miss out there’s still other options imo.

Gibbo is a good shout, always the one I forget. Stephens/Robertson probably have a higher ceiling though. Don’t think Fisher has the contested game over 120 mins, he may develop that yet. SPS similar and better suited to an outside role. Setterfield is a different type of mid again and it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Walsh would clearly excel in the Neale/Prestia role but I loved him on the wing this season. Stocker is the other one who can step up with a few preseasons behind him. Can never have enough good mids.

AT97

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
just had a look at some Will Day highlights, looks pretty good. Does anyone know if he’s projected to be a midfielder down the track?

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I agree with this statement, and some may even slip beyond that, but you still need to be able to read what clubs are going to do and be well positioned to get the players you've identified. We just don't have the picks this year to try to prioritise getting the perfect players to slot right into our best 22, as it now stands. We should approach it as gathering depth to build a stronger club via competition for spots in the side.
I wouldn't call it depth, so much as being satisfied with good role players who may elevate their game.

We still have too many holes in our side to be using a single figure pick on a project ruckman. You do that when your side is pretty settled, we still need more players who can be best 22 in the next 2 years
Levi might be gone at the end of next year, and MK should play for another couple of seasons.

I'd feel more comfortable with TDK and Jackson, with Jackson as primary ruck, but he won't make it to us anyway. Pittonet is probably a career backup.

I love Adelaide. But I'm annoyed that GWS and Gold Coast always want to extract everything from us in trades.
I only feel mildly dudded by the Marchbank and Plowman deals, but the latter was part of the deal that turned Henderson into McKay. Could have just as easily wound up with Plowman AND Tomlinson for little more.

Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Heat
just had a look at some Will Day highlights, looks pretty good. Does anyone know if he’s projected to be a midfielder down the track?
If he wants to play mid he'd want to put on some weight fast. Looking at his frame I'm skeptical personally.

That being said I rate him and he should be a fantastic player.

JoeyPBLUES

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Gibbo is a good shout, always the one I forget. Stephens/Robertson probably have a higher ceiling though. Don’t think Fisher has the contested game over 120 mins, he may develop that yet. SPS similar and better suited to an outside role. Setterfield is a different type of mid again and it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Walsh would clearly excel in the Neale/Prestia role but I loved him on the wing this season. Stocker is the other one who can step up with a few preseasons behind him. Can never have enough good mids.

Agree with Stephens/Roberts have higher ceiling.
Walshy on a wing 😍😍😍 was gold this year.
Fish and SPS - agree at this stage and Stocker is the one I forget about lol but hopefully turns it right on

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Nobody in my uneducated opinion.

But if I was picking a player who'll have the biggest impact next season I'd pick Stephens. Most would say Rowell, but he doesn't have the endurance base that Walsh had.
That’s easily fixed. He will be a jet.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Likely 2 top 10 picks for 12, 16 & 18 in a supposedly week draft - I think we would want something more.
Honestly I don’t think there’s a snow flakes chance in hell of us trading a future first.

The pressure in the media about it is ridiculous and I don’t think they’ll want that two years running. Just a view.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I still think we would prefer to trade down. But I think Cats and GC first picks are too far away.

Increasingly I suspect a deal with Port would suit both well. Bid on Henry at 10 (it’s 10 now). Force Freo to use points (unless they’ve traded up to 9 which I think they may). We like him anyway so not a game. Then trade down with Port.

Cats may get quite desperate if they really want McAsey so that could all be quite fun.

Can’t wait!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back