List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey TerryWallet what are your thoughts on Ky Pickett ? Any chance he’s around by the time one of our 3rds come around??

I love Ky Pickett. Think he is a ripping AFL prospect. Instinctive, clean, tough, quick, skilful, team oriented.

It is impossible to judge where kids are going to go in this draft. There will be heaps of divergence in opinions. For mine, i happen to have Ky in the teens.

I love Ky Pickett. Think he is a ripping AFL prospect. Instinctive, clean, tough, quick, skilful, team oriented.

It is impossible to judge where kids are going to go in this draft. There will be heaps of divergence in opinions. For mine, i happen to have Ky in the teens.

Cheers mate, yeah I really like him too, think he’d fit our fwd line really well.

I’ve been looking at various “top 30’s” and some have him just in, others don’t and you’re right it’s a bit of a lottery this year.

Any thoughts on Mal Rosas and Elijah Taylor as potential small forward options?

Cheers mate, yeah I really like him too, think he’d fit our fwd line really well.

I’ve been looking at various “top 30’s” and some have him just in, others don’t and you’re right it’s a bit of a lottery this year.

Any thoughts on Mal Rosas and Elijah Taylor as potential small forward options?

I like Rosas and Taylor too. I think it is a good year for small/mid forward types, a good year for elite mid defenders and a good year for young rucks. I reckon it is a poor year for mids and a poor year for KPP's. That combo makes it hard to have a clear consensus 1st Rd imo. The players(type) i would want to use a high pick on, i just don't rate. And the type i would take in the 2nd Rd i really like. So i think this year my Top 20 may differ a fair bit from most. Really interesting draft at the top end. Interesting, but overall fairly poor in my eyes.

Back to Rosas and Taylor though, i think there is a lot of risk with them both, more than Ky Pickett. They have some elite talent/traits but when against the risk/reward scale probably i'd have them a bit below Pickett.

I have a feeling with pick 8, you're slightly over paying for the viable options.
(Henry would have potentially been perfect for the role but he is Freo NGA)

Live trading does open up the opportunities somewhat to select talent where you value them, rather than where you have picks.

Ash will be gone so I'd be looking for Gould or Rivers.

Gould has shot up my Board. Had him at 14 start of the month. Haven't finalised this months yet, but he'll def be Top 10. Most talk about his strength, which is great. But his kicking is elite as i've watched and rewatched a few games. His consistency of high output is also great at junior and already senior output.

Gould has shot up my Board. Had him at 14 start of the month. Haven't finalised this months yet, but he'll def be Top 10. Most talk about his strength, which is great. But his kicking is elite as i've watched and rewatched a few games. His consistency of high output is also great at junior and already senior output.

Gould was one of three underagers to make AA last year IIRC

Gould is one of the few players capable of being a zone-buster. The ability to accurately launch the ball 60m+ is a genuine weapon that very few have. Plays tall, plays small, good interceptor and has a reasonable burst of acceleration. Like Charlie Curnow, he'll need to burn off a little puppy fat, but Russell will trim him down.

Given the uncertainty surrounding Docherty and Williamson as well as Simmo retiring next year, I think he'd be a good choice for us.

Gould is one of the few players capable of being a zone-buster. The ability to accurately launch the ball 60m+ is a genuine weapon that very few have. Plays tall, plays small, good interceptor and has a reasonable burst of acceleration. Like Charlie Curnow, he'll need to burn off a little puppy fat, but Russell will trim him down.

Agree with all of that.

Given the uncertainty surrounding Docherty and Williamson as well as Simmo retiring next year, I think he'd be a good choice for us.

Thinking about Gould a little more, he reminds me of Hurley a little. I certainly was hoping Hurley would drift to us instead of Yarran that year.
EDIT: I was a huge Yarran fan, so I cannot hide from that call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worry that he is too much like an Aaron Francis, an undersized key defender and not the running defender (or small forward) we need.

Even a striking CFMEU Shop Steward or a hypnotised sloth move with greater urgency than Francis.
While this may be true. Francis looked bloody good in couple of U18s games I saw. Hasn't made the transition in the * system.

I don't profess to be an expert, but I am not sure he is what we need. He has looked impressive for 2 years as a man child. Sounds like he is having no trouble playing SANFL

Thinking about Gould a little more, he reminds me of Hurley a little. I certainly was hoping Hurley would drift to us instead of Yarran that year.
EDIT: I was a huge Yarran fan, so I cannot hide from that call.
I was the same with Hurley as well. Loved him in his draft year.

I don't get it; if Aaron Francis' or a clone of him could put together an AFL career based on his strengths alone then I wouldn't care if he was what we 'needed' or not, I'd damn well find a spot for him somewhere.

Only if the new AF prototype is able to pinch in the ruck on a regular basis.

What range is Thomson Dow likely to be drafted?
What range are they expecting Henry Walsh to be drafted next year?
25-35 got some exciting traits looks to play up forward more naturally than his brother, has some similar traits when playing through midfield as Paddy as well with speed and spread but just not as classy when comparing both of their U18's years. Would be a great project player, needs 2/3 years development in him ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back