List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Any chance TDK younger brother will get to our late picks? Ive heard he is a large unit, who can play key back or ruck.

Cal Twomey has Sam De Koning ranked at 24 in his latest form guide, and he's usually pretty spot on with draft stuff, so doubtful he makes it to one of our picks unless we somehow acquire a second-rounder through trade.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
25-35 got some exciting traits looks to play up forward more naturally than his brother, has some similar traits when playing through midfield as Paddy as well with speed and spread but just not as classy when comparing both of their U18's years. Would be a great project player, needs 2/3 years development in him ...
Thomson looks to be a better kick than Paddy, but is also more outside than Paddy, so I think one almost balances out the other.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I should've asked, based upon what???
From the very limited viewing of both players in their junior careers:
Both are under the size generally required to compete as key defenders in the AFL
Both are fully developed physically
Both are line breaking kicks
Both have a reasonable first few steps but aren't great endurance wise (Gould may be better than he seems but always looks gased because his cheeks are purple)

With our list position we already have 2 undersized tall defenders in Plowman and Marchbank and while Gould may end up being an upgrade on both I think we have greater needs for our list.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
BSOS could possibly be seen as a forward, he had good returns when shuffled up there + no Kerr.
Looks a lot more comfortable and natural playing forward always personally thought that as well, atm I'd be developing him down forward for sure, moves really well and has good athletic abilities for a kid at 197cm...

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Not if we want to get the names bandied around.

If we make one trade being Jack Martin for a second round selection, I'd call that a successful trade period.

I personally don't believe we need the so called 'big fish' because I'm expecting the likes for Setterfield, Dow, O'brien, SPS and Fisher to take the next step.

Cuningham and Docherty on the park will make a big difference too.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
If we make one trade being Jack Martin for a second round selection, I'd call that a successful trade period.

I personally don't believe we need the so called 'big fish' because I'm expecting the likes for Setterfield, Dow, O'brien, SPS and Fisher to take the next step.

If it's only Martin we end up with then that's ok, but considering we will have 6/7 list spots to fill I'd be expecting 3/4 good players to be traded in, something like a Papley Martin Crouch or Martin Crouch AhChee as an example depending on who decides they would like to commit to us. There's every chance that SOS and Brodie maybe have player/s lined up that has been kept in house with names we mightn't have even thought of, could be a great surprise or two on the horizon.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
If it's only Martin we end up with then that's ok, but considering we will have 6/7 list spots to fill I'd be expecting 3/4 good players to be traded in, something like a Papley Martin Crouch or Martin Crouch AhChee as an example depending on who decides they would like to commit to us. There's every chance that SOS and Brodie maybe have player/s lined up that has been kept in house with names we mightn't have even thought of, could be a great surprise or two on the horizon.

Zak Jones?

ray8182

All Australian
Sep 11, 2008
Echuca
AFL Club
Carlton

I’m a bit the same regarding the big fish in the midfield.. Not that fussed. Would like to see natural evolution of existing young midfield players and focus on draft/trading for other positions.

Setterfield, Kennedy are important. Fourth and Fifth year players next year. They need to support Cripps.
SPS in 4th year.
Dow in 3rd year can do more.
Stockers a strong lad and could step quickly.

The above guys can do more around clearances next year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tongala

Draftee
Aug 30, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Hope to land butler with a pick in the 30s the boy is handy off hb and is a big ball winner..

Brynes is another I hope clubs over look he could go pick 10 or pick 25. Reckon he is a ed Curnow 2.0 long term

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton

I’m abit like this though I think Martin will cost more. I fail to believe we can recruit pure mids at 1,3,5(our bid) and 6 and not provide a core when we already have arguably the best mid in the competition. Add that to good assets used on LOB (winger) Kennedy, Stocker and a good pick at the draft in Fisher and we really should have the star midfielders anyway. I know recruiters make mistakes but that’s a hell of a lot of really good assets that we should have enough guns even if we haven’t recruited brilliantly. It really should be complementary players we need.
I do worry though that it may not take a lot of bad luck for us to find ourselves in trouble. Murphy is 33 next season and he was one of the main drivers for our improvement this year. Ed turns 31. I know that we hate to think about it but an injury to Cripps and we are relying on a couple of older midfielders who should be declining, Walsh and a heap of unproven talent.
I can understand both sides of the argument and it really doesn’t worry me either way we go. One thing is for sure though and that is if we a trade for a good mid they are going to cost a bloody lot and we won’t have a lot of good assets to fill future holes. Most guns are contracted so there will be expectations of two firsts in any deal. This worries me because we are as bad as there is at identifying cheap mature talent. For every Newman we have about 3-4 failures. Hopefully this is Agresta’s job and things change, he was likely behind the Newman pickup.
If they are deals for single picks, first and a second I don’t think it’s such a big deal because statistically we will probably be better off but when we talk two firsts it’s dangerous.

Back