List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Agresta would know other clubs would listen to his podcast comments so to hold a strong bargaining position would naturally say it's a good draft irrespective of if he agrees or not. Just keeps people guessing through the trade period and prevents other clubs saying "you think it's s**t so your 8 is really a 15 so we want more".

Think Agresta would know other clubs would listen to his podcast comments so to hold a strong bargaining position would naturally say it's a good draft irrespective of if he agrees or not. Just keeps people guessing through the trade period and prevents other clubs saying "you think it's s**t so your 8 is really a 15 so we want more".
Like a great chess player, you need to be many steps ahead of your opponents...

All the recruiters talk a lot. Would be surprised if they didn’t truly know what each other think about draft.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Outside of the top 2 it sounds a lot like the 2014 draft. Bloody hard to judge, you might get a De Goey or a Pickett.
I do remember us giving up pick 7 that year and we carry on like it destroyed the club but the 5 next players drafted were Ahern, Wright, Cockatoo, Duggan and Ellis. If you do look at that draft though there is talent all the way through which was available.
From pick 67 on Richmond picked up 3 players who played in a premiership 3 years later plus Soldo and Short. Even Bulldogs found 3 players who played in their premiership 2 years later without having a pick inside the top 25. Plus Dale.
There will be opportunities for good players at every single pick we take, we have to be good enough to find them.

Outside of the top 2 it sounds a lot like the 2014 draft. Bloody hard to judge, you might get a De Goey or a Pickett.
I do remember us giving up pick 7 that year and we carry on like it destroyed the club but the 5 next players drafted were Ahern, Wright, Cockatoo, Duggan and Ellis. If you do look at that draft though there is talent all the way through which was available.
From pick 67 on Richmond picked up 3 players who played in a premiership 3 years later plus Soldo and Short. Even Bulldogs found 3 players who played in their premiership 2 years later without having a pick inside the top 25. Plus Dale.
There will be opportunities for good players at every single pick we take, we have to be good enough to find them.

Agree and I hate the idea of trading away our first and a second and treating the draft as a 'throw away', players are there to be found at every pick and the moment you don't care about a draft like it seemed we did in that 2009-13 + period when the club was playing finals is what slows the momentum down of a club. Need to find a player or two each year in the draft regardless if you've got first round picks or a later ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no way Jeremy Sharp has slid down the club draft board as much as forum/internet ones. He has way too many elite qualities and puts up great numbers in senior footy.

I think there's going to be a good group of names between the 20-30 mark.

Wouldn't mind something in that range if pick 8 happens to be traded.

He will slide to a late 1st/2nd rounder on all boards based on his attitude and commitment
Has an elite speed/endurance mix and spent the summer trying to add size? After being a dual all-Australian, I can imagine he's feeling a bit cocky despite concerns about his true position at AFL level (I think it's the wing), but what are the commitment concerns?

He's playing school, representative and senior footy and playing well in both performing and underperforming teams. I think non-WA teams are being baited into dodging another talented WA prospect.

Has an elite speed/endurance mix and spent the summer trying to add size? After being a dual all-Australian, I can imagine he's feeling a bit cocky despite concerns about his true position at AFL level (I think it's the wing), but what are the commitment concerns?

He's playing school, representative and senior footy and playing well in both performing and underperforming teams. I think non-WA teams are being baited into dodging another talented WA prospect.

Seems like he has become a tad conditional

Has all the skills and attributes you highlighted, not entirely convinced of his commitment levels from last year

Admittedly, I don't know anything about this Sharp guy.

I do, though, remember reading reports about complacency drifting into Rozee's game halfway through his draft year. The kid knew he was going to get drafted highly regardless.

Still had a fantastic debut year.

Not all kids are Walsh.

I've been told that we've definitely done our homework on Jake Ricardi, he won the Fothergill the other night.

Didn't know much on Riccardi so here's what I found from the interwebz:

Basics

19yo (20 in Nov)
195cm/92kg
Plays for Werribee
38 goals in 20 games this year - 2nd in VFL goalkicker tally
2019 stat avgs: 10.4 disp, 7.4 kicks, 3 handpass, 1.9 goals, 1.2 behinds, 4.7 marks, 1.1 contested marks
Won the Fothergill–Round–Mitchell Medal* (best VFL youngster)

Background info

Played TAC for Calder Cannons in 2017 & 2018
Was first eligible for draft in 2017. A couple of clubs tested him, but he went undrafted
2018 I guess he played TAC as an over ager (kicked 18 goals in 13 matches) plus played 2 games as 23rd man for Werribee in 2018.
Prior to this year, has spent some time at CHB as well as KPF
NOT Peter Riccardi's son

Articles

On being recruited by Werribee
Discussing his strong 2019
2017 draft profile 1
2017 draft profile 2
TAC Cup stats

* May be be renamed the Fothergill–Round–Mitchell-Gibbons-Newman Medal at some point :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back