List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

swuzzlebubble

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2007
Royal Pde
AFL Club
Carlton
If we did trade down, it would have to be for a player we rate very high (I feel that would be DeKoning) and take on a first round pick next year because we know we would need it along with the first we'll have.

It would be risky because we're not addressing the now, but could prove a wise decision. I just don't think Teague would buy into it.
Sorry but I was more interested in any insights Barrass may have had.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
If we did trade down, it would have to be for a player we rate very high (I feel that would be DeKoning) and take on a first round pick next year because we know we would need it along with the first we'll have.

It would be risky because we're not addressing the now, but could prove a wise decision. I just don't think Teague would buy into it.

Think we’d have done very well with SDK but throw in Cooper Stephens as well for good measure for a 2 for 1.

The key word is AND.
Would mean they're all expected to be there, as opposed to OR, meaning at least one but not all. ???

I interpret it as those are our realistic targets (so OR not AND).

Would be happy with any of them.

Pafloyul

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2004
Somewhere else
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
We'll likely to never know the mechanics of things behind the scenes.

1. Clubs are well entitled to change their minds as things go on.
2. A coach may be granted more input into matters, given changing circumstances.
3. Maybe someone we couldn't envisage being available to us, suddenly is.
4. Maybe Kemps knee is more of a concern than first thought to be.

Who knows for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me at all that #2 may have something to do with things.
God, please, don't let it be 2, I hate that kind of thing!

Last edited:

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
We'll likely to never know the mechanics of things behind the scenes.

1. Clubs are well entitled to change their minds as things go on.
2. A coach may be granted more input into matters, given changing circumstances.
3. Maybe someone we couldn't envisage being available to us, suddenly is.
4. Maybe Kemps knee is more of a concern than first thought to be.

Who knows for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me at all that #2 may have something to do with things.

Jackson and Mcasey into the top 7 probably had a fair bit to do with it

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Stephens,Young and Serong
Would be chuffed with Stephens. All I have is his highlights reel to go off but obvious traits are great burst of speed, evasive side step, accurate kick and has massive endurance finishing 3rd in the 2km time trial (as well as 3rd over 20m and 9th in agility). Also seems like a great field kick and can finish off in front of goal. It's that burst of speed that looks special though he can get motoring from a stand still to top speed very quickly. Seems like a similar type maybe to Jack Newnes who will be 27 next season and given a season to put on some size will put competition on for spots in that role. I'll be surprised if he's there at our pick 9 but expect this list of players (Stephens, Young and Serong) are the players we will be pick available otherwise will trade down or into 2020.

Last edited:

Ollo

Debutant
Jun 3, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
All are very appealing though, so we're not being left with the scraps at least.
As long as Adelaide picks McAsey we're OK, and one of the players we want will get through to our pick.

God, please, don't let it be 2, I hate that kind of thing!

I think there'd be degrees of where this happens all the time.
The coach wanting a say in the types he wants and the List Manager telling him why his wishes may not be met. (See Longmuir)
Silvagni did say that there were robust discussions in matters Betts. I wonder just how robust that may have been.

With Silvagni set to leave, some power may well be taken away from him, which is understandable to a point. Never ideal though.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Adelaide's pick will be the pivotal point in the draft for us. If they take Mcasey, then odds are we take the best player at our pick from the three mentioned by Barass - this is the likely outcome.

If Adelaide decide to go for D.Stephens, then Mcasey likely falls to pick 9 and we have a feeding frenzy with Hawthorn, Geelong, Port and Gold Coast

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
All are very appealing though, so we're not being left with the scraps at least.
I honestly would have thought Freo would be jumping all over Robertson....local kid who averages 30 odd possession per game, Larke Medallist, and future AFL captain.

It's not like they're oozing leadership qualities down there....

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I honestly would have thought Freo would be jumping all over Robertson....local kid who averages 30 odd possession per game, Larke Medallist, and future AFL captain.

Yeh I have similar feelings. I think they’ll take him at one of their picks in addition to one of Young or Stephens. Otherwise he will slip into the late teens.

Sounds like Stephens is rocketing, and he will be their first selection unfortunately.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Don't really care which of those three and good that we haven't grounded ourselves with the one player.

Would love to know how we got to this point though..
We purposely let other clubs think we could be after certain players to make our pick be in more demand in live market trading, should the real player we want at pick 9 be gone by then....

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues

I think they could cause us some problems. If Stephens is available, they might take him and then with their next pick, be willing to trade down with Hawks for Mcasey - knowing full well Robertson is likely to still be on the board at pick 11.

Back