List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We traded pick 11 this year for picks 17 and 22.
GC traded next year’s 11 for 27 and 62.
GC should value its picks much more. Could certainly have used a future second and third from the Martin trade instead ...
The middle is the massive head scratcher that had me looking at AFL Trade Tracker as I thought surely Geelong had to give more than that to get access to pick 11 next year.

TRADE
November 28, 2019

Gold Coast receives a second-round pick (currently No.27 ) FROM: GEELONG CATS

Geelong receives a fifth-round pick (currently No.64) and 2020 assistance package pick (No.11) FROM: GOLD COAST SUNS

Funny looking back at leading into yesterday's draft what some of Carlton board post touched on that might have had us looking at this pick too....

There's a couple of guys in this next band of players we have identified, we might try to trade up.
Trent Bianco or Jeremy Sharp ?

I am skeptical we can get them but do not mind us trying.

The same source reckons we have spoken to GEE further but for what I don’t know. Apparently Stephen Wells mentioned something similar. I have no doubt SOS is making a huge last stand. I reckon a Stockeresque trade is highly possible. Early doors if at all.
Swap future firsts for 24
2020 1st + 43
For Pick 26 + WCE 2020 1st
Very interesting if true. Did not expect us to be so heavily into this draft. I'll be very surprised if we take one of first few picks today but guess I learning we are made to be kept on our toes. Certainly anything but boring and vanilla draft times. Live trading adds some much more intrigue.
No need to include 43.
If we are trading up, hope for Rivers and a forward (Taheny, Williams, Taylor, Cahill perhaps)
Geelong have 26 I believe. Not 24.
I would keep our future first.
Trade out future second and pick 70 for pick 26 and see if Stephen Wells happy with it.
He'd have to value our future second of more value than 26 to want to do the deal but no harm in asking if we keen on someone at 26 like a Sharp or Bianco.
Take note, when I mentioned pick 26 yesterday it was before a live bid on Jackson Mead pushed Cats pick back to 27 it became later...

AFL can knock back trades that clearly seem way out of whack. They need approving.
Pick 27 for pick 11 next year is not ******* normal trading.

We traded pick 11 this year for picks 17 and 22.
GC traded next year’s 11 for 27 and 62.
GC should value its picks much more. Could certainly have used a future second and third from the Martin trade instead ...
My offer of our future second and pick 70, would have seen Wells hang the phone up on me after what the clowns at Suns were willing to throw around.
But it is interesting that when the actual pick was taken it was one of players I was keen on before the second day of drafting started.

Ken Wood is no longer fit for his job, brilliant get for Stephen Wells.
If Suns had taken our 2nd and 3rd rounded picks for Martin, they could have traded it to Wells yesterday and still had pick 11 for next year.
Talk about treating draft picks like they are nothing. Guess you can do it when AFL hand out luxury priority picks to you like it is candy.

I am wrapped we picked all mids. The midfield is our biggest deficiency. We have eddie and next year we can target some small forwards and a developing ruck. Everything during 2019 draft was thrown at getting it out of the middle and delivered into the forward line
I am rapt that you are wrapped.
However, we really should cut that string and get you unpacked son.

Last edited:
PN2LNYU6DZGYLF32JIDMIUBRII.jpg
Did someone say cake?
I think we are baking chistmas pudding.
It takes awhile and you need lots of people taking a turn to stir the mixture so they all feel they helped create it when Christmas day comes.

If it was made right, it will be neither too light nor too stodgy.

The good thing about Christmas pudd. Is the unexpected gold you find inside.

Did NOT go down so well in my house:

Better-half: Can you PLEASE stop staring at the draft and help put the kids to bed
ferris: It's almost Adelaide's pick - I need to see if we do a deal!
*Still watching 15 mins later*
Better-half: FERRIS! NOW!
ferris: We didn't do a deal, but it's our turn now. Babe, I swear Carlton will be done in 5 mins and I will help.

Narrator: Carlton were not done 5 minutes later and ferris did not help.
Similar scenario. Switched over to watch the draft and the missus wasn’t too impressed.

I said I only want to see Blues selection at pick 9...shouldn’t be too long.

Anyway 45 mins later the missus asks is it over yet. Almost we’re up next after Freo’s pick 8 .....

20 minutes later I start getting those looks - I thought you said it wasn’t going to take long, you know the Good Doctor is on soon!!

It’s okay we just waiting on Freo to match our pick it won’t be long, no wait we’re waiting for GWS to match our bid, ah* we’ve just swapped our pick 11 for 17 & 22...........what station is the Good Doctor on.

Now that all of the drafts are done and dusted, time for some analysis. There was actually so much drama for us at this draft, I've never seen anything like it. Makes the Stocker trade look tame.

Missing out on 3 main targets (Young/Stephens/Serong) and failed Adelaide trade

Was a fan of Stephens but those **** pesky Swans threw a spanner in the works again by taking him. Sounds like Freo took our other favourites which was annoying. I was happy with Kemp even at Pick 9 so kind of glad the Adelaide deal fell through. I honestly don't understand how those moronic Crows thought SOS was going to hand over a first rounder to move up 3 spots. They would have got McCasey at Pick 9-11 anyway so not sure what they were thinking, their loss.

Trade with GC eventually selecting Kemp & Philp

What a trade and balls of steel shown by SOS. Didn't rate Flanders highly (I agree), used the academy bids to give him more time to wheel and deal, got Pick 17 & 22. Picked Kemp who somehow stayed on the board. I am extremely happy with Brodie, IMO would have been Pick 3-4 if not for his ACL. If he gets himself right, he has the ability to become a star. Jumped infront of the Tiges to secure Philp, kid was relatively unknown (by mainstream fans/media) but looks to have huge upside. In my mind, he is our rawer/cheaper version of Dylan Stephens that we missed in the first round. The only "what if" here is the Deven Roberston non-selection. Reckon this kid will be a solid AFL player and make some recruiters look silly for letting him slide that far. Not a super high ceiling but a known quantity, perfect for the Lions. I am however comfortable taking Philp ahead of Robertson, he adds speed to our future midfield. I think Robertson is a similar type to what we already have with Setterfield and Stocker and less of a need, plus potential flight risk with his uncle being an Eagles legend.

Later selections including Rookie Drafts

Not going to say I had heard much about these guys until we read their names out. Looking at highlights and stats, they seem to all have potential. Ramsay looks a handy player and the stats he had toward the end of year are right up there. Honey and Phillips look to have the tools to make it, albeit need a few years to build up their bodies (Phillips in particular).

Jack Martin PSD

To get him for free is a huge win and SOS should be applauded for the result. Not only did we get our man for free, but SOS would have had a tough job to keep Jack keen on us and only us all the way through. Will slot in nicely on our half-forwardline, which is where we lacked a bit last year.

Implications on List Build & Future Strategy

Think we now have depth in many areas of the ground. There will be serious pressure for spots in the next few years which is very good. I thought last year we were light on for three types of players:

1) Small/Half-forwards- The way Teague implements his game plan, our small forwards play higher up the ground to make space, counter-attack and hit the scoreboard on occasion. Last year we had a multitude of players playing this role including Cunners, Gibbons, Setterfield, Fisher, Dow, Lang, Gibbons, even Kennedy at times. Some of these guys were playing out of position and some should be pushed out of the best 22 with more competition. This offseason we partly addressed these needs with Martin and Betts. We tried to get Papley who would have been massive. Hopefully Betts can be a stop-gap until we get Papley next year. If that happens, we will be dangerous.

2) Midfield- We need to give more help to Cripps at the contest and we need more speed in our midfield. Another years development into Setterfield, Stocker, Walsh and Dow should be great for clearance-work. If we can snare Wines next year, then we will have well and truly addressed this need. We added both speedy and contested mids at the draft but these guys may take a few years to really make an impact at AFL level.

3) Small/Half-backs- IMO we need rebounding half-backs who are clean with good disposal and defensive skills to replace Daisy and eventually Simmo. We should be ok for this year with Docherty and Willo hopefully back from injury and SPS playing more time back there. Newman was a revelation last year. We may need one or two more next year though. We had a crack at Hayden Young who would have fit the bill but it wasn't to be.

SOS

The guy is a legend and has given us the talent and the backbone we have missed for 20 years. Would be a massive to lose him, which sounds inevitable. The club would be negligent if it didn't move heaven and earth for SOS to stay. I wouldn't care if we cleaned out the other staff who clash with him. If it wasn't for SOS, we may have been stuck with Brandon **** Ellis as our star recruit. We wouldn't have Stocker, Cunners, SPS, Fisher who knows if we would have Walsh, Weiters. Cripps may have left by now etc. Thanks SOS for everything.

Whether or not he leaves, I pray we get access to the vision of SOS trying to trade with Adelaide and then his bidding strategy/trade with GC. It would be absolute gold footage. Unfortunately I feel it would be heavily edited by the AFL/Carlton even if we got access.

I feel as though I have been describing both non-stop! :)

Philp - Inside mid. Terrific athlete with an outstanding burst of pace which he uses to separate from a contest. Loves the contested side of the game and is a very strong tackler. Disposal needs some work but it's not terrible for a contested player. Needs to clean up his handling but i think that comes in time. Outside game needs work and from what I've seen he doesn't at this stage have the ability to play elsewhere. But his endurance seems very good so I feel there is big scope there. I think he has enormous upside and could well develop into one of the best mids in this draft.

Honey - I don't love Honey as much as Philp as a prospect but I do love the value he represents as a rookie. He's that hybrid mid/forward type who doesn't get a lot of the ball but he doesn't need a lot of it to have an impact. Very quick, terrific athlete, strong defensively, very clean hands. Endurance is OK but can be improved. Hits the scoreboard. If we can get him more involved I feel he can be a terrific footballer.
Actually listening to one of the Philp interviews he said that he actually played as a small forward in his junior days so will probably look to start as a forward, like one T Taranto, and slowly transition into the midfield same as the above mentioned young gun, look forward to seeing him strap on the boots next year.

Absolutely

But we all know the reasons why

Not many more picked after Finbar, where you could say "we should have"

Tom Atkins wouldn't have gone astray.
Gibbons & Cottrell look more likely also and they were a relative afterthought.

Seriously though, at least we picked a type that has plenty of scope for development and one that may yet fit a need.
Our club has to be looking at these development types late in drafts and rookie drafts given our list positioning. You can strike gold every now and then with good development but you won't be striking gold with rejects from other teams too often (O'Shea, Mullet, shaw, Bugg etc types)

No problem with Finbar nor Phillips. Good on the club for backing itself. Over to you now Luke. :)

Absolutely

But we all know the reasons why

Not many more picked after Finbar, where you could say "we should have"

It’s more that we could have just taken him in the rookie draft, and added a more AFL-ready underage player with a perceived lower ceiling.

Not make or break, but slightly pointless adding an unbelievably raw, skinny kid with limited TAC Cup form behind.

I’m glad we’ve re-calibrated this year and taken Ramsay as a high production mid in the ND and some high upside picks in the rookie draft. Regardless how the players pan out, that at least shows some growth in our strategic thinking.

Pick 11 is guaranteed

Cats will field offers of clubs wanting to get ahead of bids, such as the Dogs
Cats now have 3 first Rd picks next year, so will look to be a big player in the academy and F/S market, might also be eyeing off GWS abundance of inside mids especially now they have Green as well could get in ahead of us for Caldwell, will be looking to replace Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No problem with Finbar nor Phillips. Good on the club for backing itself. Over to you now Luke. :)

1st port of call is AR & the dieticians for Phillips. There’s some serious eating & building up to be done there.

Amazing transformation of Finbar into this pre-season. Well done to him. He has some traits too that would make for an excellent forward. Looking forward to how he impacts at VFL level and continuity (+ ability to stay involved in the season) of regular games.

who is seriously have a go at finbar though? I think the original pokes were about how unlikely a footballer he looked - this year it's been astonishment at his change of body shape - he's cult - like you J...........

s**t name though … delist.

1st port of call is AR & the dieticians for Phillips. There’s some serious eating & building up to be done there.

Amazing transformation of Finbar into this pre-season. Well done to him. He has some traits too that would make for an excellent forward. Looking forward to how he impacts at VFL level and continuity (+ ability to stay involved in the season) of regular games.

I see the same.

We've invested into a quality Head of Performance individual in Russell and into a quality Head of Development officer in Power.
The recruiters have identified types that have scope for development and taken the chance on them, when it may have been easier to just find more mature types that don't add a lot to the whole, at all.

I'm glad we've positioned ourselves where we have now, as I was tired of that failing 'senior bodies' stuff.
We have the right football people in the right place, so let's use them and give them plenty to do.

Find it amusing that people are bagging the selection of Finbar

Would love to know which player taken after him that has become a household name, let alone shown more
I'm actually really keen to see him with another pre season under his belt. Has serious athletic ability and appears to have a appetite for hard work.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I disagree, while they are similar, all have better disposal than Dow, all play 2nd/3rd positions

I reckon Dow has the highest ceiling of our midfield group outside of Cripps. Walsh, Setterfield and now Kemp included in that.

With Dow I just can’t see anything but a young Dangerfield. Philp has similar explosive attributes but seems more dodge and weave whereas Dow is crash and bash. In time I can see them rotating off a HFF. If Paddy can develop a forward craft we’re going to have a lot of options.

The middle is the massive head scratcher that had me looking at AFL Trade Tracker as I thought surely Geelong had to give more than that to get access to pick 11 next year.

TRADE
November 28, 2019

Gold Coast receives a second-round pick (currently No.27 ) FROM: GEELONG CATS

Geelong receives a fifth-round pick (currently No.64) and 2020 assistance package pick (No.11) FROM: GOLD COAST SUNS

Funny looking back at leading into yesterday's draft what some of Carlton board post touched on that might have had us looking at this pick too....

Take note, when I mentioned pick 26 yesterday it was before a live bid on Jackson Mead pushed Cats pick back to 27 it became later...

My offer of our future second and pick 70, would have seen Wells hang the phone up on me after what the clowns at Suns were willing to throw around.
But it is interesting that when the actual pick was taken it was one of players I was keen on before the second day of drafting started.

Ken Wood is no longer fit for his job, brilliant get for Stephen Wells.
If Suns had taken our 2nd and 3rd rounded picks for Martin, they could have traded it to Wells yesterday and still had pick 11 for next year.
Talk about treating draft picks like they are nothing. Guess you can do it when AFL hand out luxury priority picks to you like it is candy.

Precisely, absolute pack of peanuts. Let’s make a stand....FMD

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s more that we could have just taken him in the rookie draft, and added a more AFL-ready underage player with a perceived lower ceiling.

Not make or break, but slightly pointless adding an unbelievably raw, skinny kid with limited TAC Cup form behind.

I’m glad we’ve re-calibrated this year and taken Ramsay as a high production mid in the ND and some high upside picks in the rookie draft. Regardless how the players pan out, that at least shows some growth in our strategic thinking.

I think the rawness of Finbar, should allow supporters to be patient

Find it amusing that people are bagging the selection of Finbar

Would love to know which player taken after him that has become a household name, let alone shown more
There is more to play out yet but there were more options available than simply those taken after him in the same draft, there was also a subsequent mid-season draft. We do have a bit of a history of taking project players late who just didn't seem to have much going for them, and so it proved. It's no wonder we were sceptical.

Finbar was a longshot, but if you can't take an occasional longshot that your recruiter sees something in with a Pick 70, then what can you do. The Finbar selection was fine. If he makes it, he makes it. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

Stephen Wells just picked an unknown kid with Pick 41.

I'm sure everyone is right behind Finbar to have a career at Carlton...even if we have a bit o fun with his unusual name and bolt from the blue status. Can be worse positions to be than the cult figure guy at a club. Levi's made a bloody 11 year career of it.

Finbar was a longshot, but if you can't take an occasional longshot that your recruiter sees something in with a Pick 70, then what can you do. The Finbar selection was fine. If he makes it, he makes it. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

Stephen Wells just picked an unknown kid with Pick 41.

I'm sure everyone is right behind Finbar to have a career at Carlton...even if we have a bit o fun with his unusual name and bolt from the blue status. Can be worse positions to be than the cult figure guy at a club. Levi's made a bloody 11 year career of it.
Finbar is a popular name in Ireland,it's the same as Sam or Jack over here. In my working life i've known 3 Finbars.

There is more to play out yet but there were more options available than simply those taken after him in the same draft, there was also a subsequent mid-season draft. We do have a bit of a history of taking project players late who just didn't seem to have much going for them, and so it proved. It's no wonder we were sceptical.
so finbar is finbarred? without a game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back