List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I prefer Ford to Laurie, but for someone who get the ball and wins it clear an awful lot in that clip, he spends an incredible amount of time running the wrong way. Could be coaching, but it could also indicate a lack of game awareness.

In any case, he looks like Max Rooke with a bit more toe; loves a tackle, can take a mark and kick a goal.

I love Ford's attack on the ball and man. Hitting up is important especially with so many players wanting to run forward of the play

I didn't like Laurie overly, myself. Got a terrific kick on him, but looks very small without being quick or agile to compensate. Knows what to do with the ball, but there isn't that much space in a game of AFL, and at his size he'd want to be brutally strong to make up for the fact that he's not getting away most of the time.

Think we've got a better option (Stocker) for the same role/position.

Good find Arrow.
I like em, I like em a lot.
I see a bit of young Fev in Ford.
Laurie, is a good mover, but there’s too many Bailey’s around, I shall call him Bill.

We can thank giantroo for all this. Such a great resource provider.

If Giantroo does want to answer the question - What's changed that you're now allowed to upload the footage?

Great stuff by the way. The AFL should be giving you a job.....or maybe you already have one there? :)

I didn't like Laurie overly, myself. Got a terrific kick on him, but looks very small without being quick or agile to compensate. Knows what to do with the ball, but there isn't that much space in a game of AFL, and at his size he'd want to be brutally strong to make up for the fact that he's not getting away most of the time.

I’m not sure that Laurie and stocker are relevant to each other. Stockers a strong contested footballer. Laurie is a smaller more agile footballer.

I think Lauries agility is ok with a nice side step but the query l have is speed. He probably needs to play as a small forward in the AFL as lm not sure he can make it as a midfielder.

Either Laurie plays the traditional crumbing small forward or more of a half forward in the gibbons mould where gets a bit further up the ground and sets up the forwards.

Although l think Laurie looks like a good footballer would he just end up a bit of a nothing footballer at AFL level with no X factor. Does he have the speed, agility and intensity and forward craft to succeed.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can thank giantroo for all this. Such a great resource provider.

If Giantroo does want to answer the question - What's changed that you're now allowed to upload the footage?

Great stuff by the way. The AFL should be giving you a job.....or maybe you already have one there? :)
Nothing's changed, but I wasn't the only one to be taken down. They can still come for me. I'm just using multiple platforms to upload this time around.

Thanks, all independent, in my own time.

Nothing's changed, but I wasn't the only one to be taken down. They can still come for me. I'm just using multiple platforms to upload this time around.

Thanks, all independent, in my own time.

What can I say - Brilliant work and effort appreciated. Thank you.

I’m not sure that Laurie and stocker are relevant to each other. Stockers a strong contested footballer. Laurie is a smaller more agile footballer.

I think Lauries agility is ok with a nice side step but the query l have is speed. He probably needs to play as a small forward in the AFL as lm not sure he can make it as a midfielder.

Either Laurie plays the traditional crumbing small forward or more of a half forward in the gibbons mould where gets a bit further up the ground and sets up the forwards.

Although l think Laurie looks like a good footballer would he just end up a bit of a nothing footballer at AFL level with no X factor. Does he have the speed, agility and intensity and forward craft to succeed.

Exactly. He's a midfielder without the size.

If we want a forward pocket, let's draft one of those, instead of drafting a mid to turn into a forward pocket.

I wonder if our interstate recruiters have been laid off due to Covid. I know of a WA based recruiter for a big Victorian club that was told his services were not required back in March with no promises on next season.

Reasoning behind it was the club didn't think there would be any underage games in Australia but the WAFL finishes up this weekend after a 9 game season and 3 weeks of finals.

There might be a couple of bargains that may have slipped under the radar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. He's a midfielder without the size.

If we want a forward pocket, let's draft one of those, instead of drafting a mid to turn into a forward pocket.

I was more posing the question about Lauries speed and ability to play small forward. He has really good decision making and skill which makes me want to believe in him.

If l was recruiter l would be looking for players with similar attributes from previous drafts and how they transitioned to afl.

I was more posing the question about Lauries speed and ability to play small forward. He has really good decision making and skill which makes me want to believe in him.

If l was recruiter l would be looking for players with similar attributes from previous drafts and how they transitioned to afl.

He has really good decision making and skill... in the space of U18's footy. If he's still a little bloke now - no real growth or pace - he's not going to get that space or time. Nick Graham was able to find space and time in the VFL, and in the U18's. Unfortunately, I see a similar fate for Laurie, albeit he gets the ball to boot much quicker than Nick did. How this translates to AFL depends on what he does with that lack of space is how well he'll go at AFL level; does he get thrown in the second ring, ready to hit the ball at top pace already? If so, there are other players that will be faster than he is who are more used to kicking at full pace. Does he become an inside handballer? He's small for it, and there are others who could do it and find separation, which is where Stocker comes into it. Does he do as Graham did, and get caught so much and so often that he gets relegated to a HFF? If so, why not get a HFF or a pocket instead of a small mid without breakaway pace?

We'll see. I don't like writing off someone before they've tried, but I don't see it with him. He's like Witherden, but slower and with a shorter kick. But then, I'm just a prick on the internet, and I've not watched him beyond that youtube clip, so what would I know?

Last edited:
Same news about Saad. * have matched the term, but still less money than us. Also Norf and Melbourne interested. Saad says it's not the money, but the direction of the * club. I would dispute it's not the money, and if he wanted to play finals, and win a flag, we would be well ahead of *..

He has really good decision making and skill... in the space of U18's footy. If he's still a little bloke now - no real growth or pace - he's not going to get that space or time. Nick Graham was able to find space and time in the VFL, and in the U18's. Unfortunately, I see a similar fate for Laurie, albeit he gets the ball to boot much quicker than Nick did. How this translates to AFL depends on what he does with that lack of space is how well he'll go at AFL level; does he get thrown in the second ring, ready to hit the ball at top pace already? If so, there are other players that will be faster than he is who are more used to kicking at full pace. Does he become an inside handballer? He's small for it, and there are others who could do it and find separation, which is where Stocker comes into it. Does he do as Graham did, and get caught so much and so often that he gets relegated to a HFF? If so, why not get a HFF or a pocket instead of a small mid without breakaway pace?

We'll see. I don't like writing off someone before they've tried, but I don't see it with him. He's like Witherden, but slower and with a shorter kick. But then, I'm just a prick on the internet, and I've not watched him beyond that youtube clip, so what would I know?

Fair points. Graham l see as slower and less skilful. I’m probably left sitting on the fence a bit with Laurie. As you’ve pointed out, one you tube clip isn’t a lot to go on. I’m left thinking l need more info about him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Couple of kids that I like as 2nd rounders

Ford is a shorter Fev with better agility. I'm guessing his tank is rubbish too or we'd have been hearing more about him in top 10 lists.

Would be a great get.

These are my concerns as well, but he reminds me of Robbie Gray, but Robbie was a touch quicker (and lighter) at the same age.

Watching the U17 Curtain Raiser from last year, Eddie Ford ripped It in the first Qtr had 8 touches n 2 goals, a mercurial type that will only get better in an AFL environment

Also from the game Jake Bowey Henry Walsh and Nathan ODriscoll look like AFL standard players I’d love to get with later picks

Possible top-five pair shine at WA Combine

POTENTIAL top-five pick Denver Grainger-Barras has underlined his athleticism with a strong showing at this week's West Australian NAB AFL Draft Combine testing.
The key defender, who played all of this season in Swan Districts' senior side, was among the best performers across the trials.
The competitive 195cm prospect, who is seen as the best tall back in the draft pool and a likely early selection, finished fifth overall in the 20-metre sprint (2.993 seconds) and second in the agility test.

Impressive.

POTENTIAL top-five pick Denver Grainger-Barras has underlined his athleticism with a strong showing at this week's West Australian NAB AFL Draft Combine testing.
The key defender, who played all of this season in Swan Districts' senior side, was among the best performers across the trials.
The competitive 195cm prospect, who is seen as the best tall back in the draft pool and a likely early selection, finished fifth overall in the 20-metre sprint (2.993 seconds) and second in the agility test.

Impressive.

Now right in contention for pick 1

Impressive.

DGB will clearly be gone by our selection.

The one we should be looking at is O'Driscoll. Didn't realise he had improved so much in his 20m sprint, agility and 2km results.

If you want an Oliver type, go for O'Driscoll. Massive upside there and more of a known quantity than some of the others in the draft.

Impressive.
Isiah Winder is "balanced mid" ?
Where's he rated?

Way too early to be forecasting a phantom in any meaningful way, but if things stayed in this order, which players would clubs go for?

Adelaide - McDonald - Start with the premium tall in the rebuild.
North - Hollands - Need something to excite the supporters.
Sydney - Phillips - Ready to go mid.
Hawthorn - DGB - Got a beauty in Day last year. Good time to sure that defence up.
Gold Coast - Thilthorpe - They probably have a lot of what they need right now and maybe time to prepare for life after Witts
Essendon - Macrae - A nice inside/outside mid, provided they take a grunt at trade, although a KPD may not be out of he question.
Carlton - Perkins - Just because he has tricks

Pointless exercise at this stage really, but I wonder how clubs will be thinking.
The bottom four are pretty much in rebuild mode right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back