List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I‘m sure a few people will start mentioning his name after his 5 goal haul in yesterday’s SANFL preliminary final, but for a cheap small forward pick-up, could try James Rowe (Stephen’s son). Goes at about 2 goals per game, 44.10 for the year. Seem to be some question marks over his attitude, but no reason not to speak to him. Doesn’t strike me as someone who is going to be an out and out gun, but nor does he need to be.

You'd need some kind of assurance he's working very hard on getting lean and conditioning his legs before picking him up, because he clearly started the pre-season on an awfully low base in terms of his body shape, and has limited explosiveness.

He could easily be skipped over for another 2 or 3 drafts before anyone looks at him, assuming he even wants to be disciplined enough to get into the AFL ranks.

I‘m sure a few people will start mentioning his name after his 5 goal haul in yesterday’s SANFL preliminary final, but for a cheap small forward pick-up, could try James Rowe (Stephen’s son). Goes at about 2 goals per game, 44.10 for the year. Seem to be some question marks over his attitude, but no reason not to speak to him. Doesn’t strike me as someone who is going to be an out and out gun, but nor does he need to be.

Certainly knows where the goals are and is a good set shot as well as snaps on either foot, is only 173cm and has question marks on his defensive pressure but looks a smart footballer, finished 2nd in the yo-yo test at the state combine in 2019, not sure he is very quick though but could learn a lot from Eddie.

I remember reading about it years ago (Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell?).

That sample size you quoted probably isn't big enough to draw conclusions, but there is a phenomenon to explain this.

Let's start off by assuming junior teams are selected by year of birth.

When you pick the under 7s, the kids born in Jan-Mar are (on average) bigger, taller, stronger than the Oct-Dec kids. So they get over-represented in the teams.

And then when the under 8s are picked, not only are the Jan-Mar cohort still bigger, taller, stronger, but they also have an year of extra coaching. And it follows on and on and eventually the elite kids at under 18 level are more likely to be concentrated in the Jan-Mar period. Oct-Dec kids are theoretically underdeveloped and an opportunity, but it is also likely there will be less of them in the draft pool as they have had the cards stacked against them since they were kids.

Really fascinating. And a little unfair.

This chart shows the effect quite clearly:
(Blue = junior players by month vs Red = general population by month)View attachment 979350
I wasn't born in Jan-Mar. And I was MUCH smaller, shorter and weaker than my peers. Luckily for me, I was also much less coordinated and talented as my peers, so my month of birth had no impact.... ;)
Funnily enough I was talking to a local coach about this tonight and he was talking about how all the best juniors used to be jan-March born kids who usually went to school a year early. Now with the age groups changing to age and 1/2 eg under 17 and 1/2 the best kids are now the July to December born kids.
the age difference hasn’t changed but the birth day has changed everything.

yes please!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowe would be in the mix as a late selection. Has that Jack Steven characteristics about him. Very accurate kick, but his defensive work is poor. If he ready to work on that deficiency, he could be a smart pick up

Question for Arrow

where do you think the following two will go in the draft?

also would you like them at Carlton

Eddie Ford
Jake Bowey

cheers

Sorry mate, just saw this post.

I like Ford, not a lot of finesse but love his attack on the ball and player, mid 2nd/early 3rd

Bowey, tough kid, but with his frame I would only consider him a rookie selection at best

Still seeing absolutely nothing in the list management decisions of clubs to suggest that they're skipping out on this draft.

Easily 70-80 picks being taken despite the threat of list reductions. If they come in, then those numbers can only point to a strong pool, which is what I'm seeing so far, particularly in terms of game sense and skill execution.

Fingers crossed we don't go old Carlton and bring in Oliver and Saad by cutting apart two drafts, with the one we cut the deepest is a super draft.

Seeing as though TSG despatched me over the fence for even mentioning Pickett a while back, an assault on his sensibilities if you will....how about this young chap?

I want an electric speed small fwd and won’t be denied ;)

Seeing as though TSG despatched me over the fence for even mentioning Pickett a while back, an assault on his sensibilities if you will....how about this young chap?

Spicy

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s certainly the type of player I want in our side based on that description. He’ll be coming in with Jeffy Garlett like size, which Jeff proved could be offset with elite speed and skill.

I’d be interested with our last pick/rookie selection.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back