List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

True, maybe a few more cm’s many of them that do, do it within their last two underage years ... Can’t remember too many KP’d jumping from 193cm up to 198cm after being drafted..

It's actually more common than you think

Kids can keep growing up to the age of 22

Gord! Why even have picks in the 30s if we are chasing rookie level prospects. :rolleyes:

So I'm thinking one of two things:

1. If a bid comes for Downie before Hawthorn's second pick, we may trade picks 31 and 38 for 24 and grab someone like Poulter if available. Then we take a couple of players like Wehr, Durdin or Rowe very late in the ND or as rookies. I'd rather Ginnivan as a small forward with our late picks but whatever.

2. Maybe we've given absolutely nothing to Twomey and are simply waiting to see who slips through to pick 31.

Generally Twomey is on the money for the first dozen or so picks, then the draft tends to go off on a tangent. I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't target the best 18 year olds with our first two selections (2nd rounders), then select a mature age prospect late. If there was ever a year to grab a slider, it's this year. It's almost like a free hit for us. Pressure is off. Time to grab a bargain.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens on Wednesday night.

I really cant believe the lack of interest on the Carlton draft thread about Isiah Winder.
This kid has all the tools thats required to become the small foward carlton need and looks like the perfect pick range that you guys hold.
What am i missing here ?
He's the one I want. And rookie Spicer.

Would you draft Rowe and Wehr in the 2nd round?

No, but I'm not a recruiter whose job it is to track these guys for years prior to entering the system.

Lets see how things go before frothing at the mouth and calling for people's heads, hey?

No, but I'm not a recruiter whose job it is to track these guys for years prior to entering the system.

Lets see how things go before frothing at the mouth and calling for people's heads, hey?

You wouldn't be alone there. Knightmare reckons both could potentially go late or undrafted.

Rowe has absolutely no defensive side to his game and Wehr will still need a couple of preseasons in the gym to be fully ready. I get that we're looking for mature age prospects but these guys still need a lot of development, which is why other clubs don't appear to have a strong interest inside the first two rounds. If we took them, I wouldn't expect either to play senior football for us next year, which kind of defeats the purpose of taking mature age prospects to begin with.

Maybe another club pulls the trigger on them early, however, it doesn't sound that way based on the media coverage.

Everyone wants Winder :p
Even me !

#35 If Carlton bid on Maurice Rioli jnr and Winder is still available i would let Carlton have Rioli (with a heavy heart) and Take Winder
Really have a feeling about this kid being a special player in 2-3 years time

So I'm thinking one of two things:

1. If a bid comes for Downie before Hawthorn's second pick, we may trade picks 31 and 38 for 24 and grab someone like Poulter if available. Then we take a couple of players like Wehr, Durdin or Rowe very late in the ND or as rookies. I'd rather Ginnivan as a small forward with our late picks but whatever.

2. Maybe we've given absolutely nothing to Twomey and are simply waiting to see who slips through to pick 31.

Generally Twomey is on the money for the first dozen or so picks, then the draft tends to go off on a tangent. I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't target the best 18 year olds with our first two selections (2nd rounders), then select a mature age prospect late. If there was ever a year to grab a slider, it's this year. It's almost like a free hit for us. Pressure is off. Time to grab a bargain.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens on Wednesday night.
Poulter is exactly what we need to deliver to the fwd line. Whatever it takes, I’m in!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Draftmas now less than 48 hours away, we must all remember that we have already opened our best presents (Williams, Saad & Fogarty) so what we will be receiving on Draftmas night is stocking fillers e.g. Brut Gift Pack (Pick 31), Santa bag of chocolate/lollies (Pick 38) & a pair of socks (Pick 78). As these gifts (players) are received, you must say "thank you" even if these aren't the gifts you wanted for Draftmas.

With Draftmas now less than 48 hours away, we must all remember that we have already opened our best presents (Williams, Saad & Fogarty) so what we will be receiving on Draftmas night is stocking fillers e.g. Brut Gift Pack (Pick 31), Santa bag of chocolate/lollies (Pick 38) & a pair of socks (Pick 78). As these gifts (players) are received, you must say "thank you" even if these aren't the gifts you wanted for Draftmas.
Yep. Just get on with it.
View attachment Monday https___t.co_B9k6zQl6HZ.mp4

It's not out of the question that next years second comes into play, should we be desperate for someone that's 'slipped' to the 20-25 range.
I'm not keen on using that currency, but if a must have-have is there and the trade opportunity presents, then it's possible.

Can't see a situation where flipping the first would get through, though.

Draftees often keep growing though
Kemp was 193cm at the start of the year and is now rumoured to be closer to 195cm. Don't forget Weiters is only 196cm so although it is a waste of talent, Kemp can always cover down back if needed. That being said, we do need mature KPD depth.

Height wise there’s not much after Reid and Cox are gone with defenders most are only around the 193cm mark, now I’m well aware of defensive traits of body use, positioning and spoiling but I’m of the opinion that we need a modern size defender of around at least the 198cm plus size so I’m not too convinced we’re going to fill that position through the draft properly...

Which is where I think McDonald or Marsh as a DFA would be good for us. Save one pick in the draft for a small forward, and the other take the best available.

True, maybe a few more cm’s many of them that do, do it within their last two underage years ... Can’t remember too many KP’d jumping from 193cm up to 198cm after being drafted..
But, but weetbix!

I think we now have a pick before Freo and hopefully hawthorn have picks tied up in their next gen player.
Winder sounds good for us ...

As you know, no one can be confident they have a pick ahead of another, other than when holding pick #1.
e.g. We moved our pick #22 to #20 to get in front of Richmond, only last year.

I'm glad it's all a lot more vibrant with live trading, even if someone gets the leg up on us.

As you know, no one can be confident they have a pick ahead of another, other than when holding pick #1.
e.g. We moved our pick #22 to #20 to get in front of Richmond, only last year.

I'm glad it's all a lot more vibrant with live trading, even if someone gets the leg up on us.

Yep,
These days if you like a certain player and are prepared to be creative, you can generally have a good chance to land him ...

Yep,
These days if you like a certain player and are prepared to be creative, you can generally have a good chance to land him ...

That's why I think we should have next years second at the ready.
GWS may be happy to move on their current #20, if nothing particularly excites them after having already taken 3 players and still with the #26 in hand.

Anything can play out but if there is something there we have to have, then go and get it........if we can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back