List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Thanks.

That‘s great you’ve got Dow, Kennedy & Stocker as settled best 22, is that why Cripps is currently getting all the support he could ever ask for?

Seen any of Phillips’ highlights or read any reviews? How does his pace, outside game and skill compare to each of these?
I never said I rated them all best 22, that's simply the depth list for the inside mid position where I see it.

Cripps, Kemp, Murphy, Ed, Walsh and Setters would be my first choice unit as of right now, with a nod to O'Brien for some burst towards the outside of that. I'd love to be able to put SPS in that role, but his acceleration after the first step is just terrible, and I don't know if we can do anything to fix it.

I haven't been looking into any prospects this year, but going off the sizzle reel, Phillips clearly has an exceptional first few steps and balance. That allows him to execute and find space virtually at will near the contest, but he clearly shows a lack of top end speed at times, though that seems to be a technique/push-off issue more than anything. He would be a point of difference inside, but I'd like to know why we can't train Dow to deliver that, because that's something Paddy had when he came to the club.

If it works out he's sitting there at our first pick, I'd be casting an eye over what we're being offered to trade out of the position before pulling the trigger, but I see why you're interested. Likewise would want to know what we'd be giving up to secure him if he's set to be picked ahead of us.

ray8182

All Australian
Sep 11, 2008
Echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
Jeez, yes please. Second efforts, clean, hard at it. From highlights, can footy. Looks like burst speed, gets low and composed. In a draft with some unknowns, this kid could go anywhere, hopefully Carlton.
Twomey has him available at our pick and he is usually pretty close to the mark.

Will Phillips is a terrific prospect but l think he’s more of an inside midfielder.

Not sure we would be looking at him even if he makes it to our pick. We want guys a bit better on the outside.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Grover

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
only 180cm/79kg looks a lot bigger than that
was everyone else in slow motion or is he that quick
likes the handballs, keeps his feet, kicks both feet
like a lot
He looks a bit unfashionable, maybe the shaved head, at first I thought his kicking technique looked a bit awkward, but the more I watched it looked fine.

Couldn’t disagree with anything you listed, his handball skills were amazing, not once did they not go to advantage of teammates.

Any more thoughts on his kicking?

Dunna Heartknee

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
He looks a bit unfashionable, maybe the shaved head, at first I thought his kicking technique looked a bit awkward, but the more I watched it looked fine.

Couldn’t disagree with anything you listed, his handball skills were amazing, not once did they not go to advantage of teammates.

Any more thoughts on his kicking?
Uses both sides, seems to favor the right
Handballs both sides as well a unique quality

Ninja Worrier

All Australian
Jul 13, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks.

That‘s great you’ve got Dow, Kennedy & Stocker as settled best 22, is that why Cripps is currently getting all the support he could ever ask for?

Seen any of Phillips’ highlights or read any reviews? How does his pace, outside game and skill compare to each of these?
Looks to have a bit of Cunnington in him too if you know what mean

Sheephead

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2009
In a good paddock
AFL Club
Carlton
I like the look of Phillips. Hard as a cats head too. Doesn’t F around with it, makes a decision and goes.

But, do we really think we’re going to keep the pick?

Williams, who I still think is a bit of a pipe dream, won’t cost us anything but cash.
Papley, more and more I’m reading, won’t be coming.
Do we trade the pick out???

Happy as I said to take Phillips though if not - good find Ock.

Q - Does Jamie Elliott’s name come up again because of all the Daicos’ and Browns’ they keep growing in their back room. We know he can play fwd but he got a good few clearances the other day, they say his injuries are fixed.

Sheephead

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2009
In a good paddock
AFL Club
Carlton
Uses both sides, seems to favor the right
Handballs both sides as well a unique quality
Well he’s no good then. How good is he on the BBQ. Will he cope with a Yarra cruise. I want answers.

How come we don’t have a NGA academy? Every other suburb does.

See there was another kid from Halls Creek, Sammy’s cousin, cut by the Dockers. Looked a lot in the mold of Irving MOs-ki-tooooo. (Sorry). Isaiah Butters was the name. Everywhere I read, star, star, star - the indigenous lads take a while.

Now I’m waffling............coffee. When does the NBA start? Oh, good.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Given Krueze retirement I hope we pull the trigger. If he has the same drive as his brother it’s going to go a long way to making it
Exactly. Makes sense to have him join his brother. More genuine ruck rather than a hybrid may limit him a touch, but if anything like
his brother re work ethic (reports suggest yes) would absolutely work to maximise his talents and output.

There look to be half a dozen great young ruck prospects in the upcoming draft, it will be intriguing to see how many clubs pull the
trigger for a young developmental type with the pending list cuts.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Jeez, yes please. Second efforts, clean, hard at it. From highlights, can footy. Looks like burst speed, gets low and composed. In a draft with some unknowns, this kid could go anywhere, hopefully Carlton.
Twomey has him available at our pick and he is usually pretty close to the mark.

Phillips is arguably the safest pick in this draft. He won't be the best, but you know what you'll get from him.

Given the lack of junior footy this year, don't be surprised should a club pull the trigger very early on Phillips as they try to lock a bankable prospect away.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Phillips is arguably the safest pick in this draft. He won't be the best, but you know what you'll get from him.

Given the lack of junior footy this year, don't be surprised should a club pull the trigger very early on Phillips as they try to lock a bankable prospect away.
Think he is a riser. Probablt gone by 6, 7 or 8 where we are likely to fall. I'm looking for info in Fin McCrea?

Back