List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not? Quality backs aren't often taken at the real pointy end of the draft with Weitering being the exception.

I didn't (and still don't) think we'll go to the draft holding the pick #7, but it may yet pan out that way and if we did DGB would be a great get for us.
I just can't get into the pure mids this year....for us. Hollands is still the player that piques my interest, most.
Why not? Because he's really really good. I can't remember the last time a 17 year old key defender played a full season of senior WAFL.

Denver is third on my "I want list". As I said earlier in the thread, he'd be perfect as Weiterings partner in crime for 10 years.

Matt Rendell has big wraps on Will Phillips.

He described the work ethic, competitiveness and drive of Matt Rowell like no other, and then said...there’s another one in this years draft (Phillips).

Also provided the background to selecting Dangerfield and mentioned Ed Curnow aw his favourite selection ever.

This is an episode of Open Mike worth watching.
This kid could easily put on 3-5 kgs and be good to go.

I think we could get a quick return on investment here.

Why not? Because he's really really good. I can't remember the last time a 17 year old key defender played a full season of senior WAFL.
Denver is third on my "I want list". As I said earlier in the thread, he'd be perfect as Weiterings partner in crime for 10 years.

We have pick #7, not #77 :)

Yes, exposed form counts for quite a bit and it hasn't hurt McDonald this year either, but it's still not out of the question that DGB may be there a around #7
I'm somewhat out of the loop this year (as most of us would be) but a McDonald, Hollands, Phillips, Thilthorpe, Perkins, Bruhn and Macrae etc may not be too far out of the picture for the first few picks.

Good thing we finished just behind GWS though, as they may get their fair share of compo picks with Williams gone and Cameron possibly moving on, also.

I's also possible to trade up, if there's something there we have to have, therefore it's not impossible.

Should we be considering the height of our kpd stocks? Jones our tallest and oldest.... with the new age kpf being roughly 200cm i dont wanna be stuck with 195cm backmen. Theres 2 utilities around the 199/200 mark hopefully they make it to our 2nd pick?

Matt Rendell has big wraps on Will Phillips.

He described the work ethic, competitiveness and drive of Matt Rowell like no other, and then said...there’s another one in this years draft (Phillips).

Also provided the background to selecting Dangerfield and mentioned Ed Curnow aw his favourite selection ever.

This is an episode of Open Mike worth watching.

I watched it... found it really interesting that he said he likes to recruit players that “influence” games and that’s why he took Sloan at pick 40ish despite some of his flaws. I would have thought all recruiters would have that characteristic at the top of their list.

I watched it... found it really interesting that he said he likes to recruit players that “influence” games and that’s why he took Sloan at pick 40ish despite some of his flaws. I would have thought all recruiters would have that characteristic at the top of their list.
From what I can tell, we look at attributes rather than influence. An example would be us selecting TDK over Worpel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's exactly what I've been getting at for months now, as to what our current group needs.
We're still lacking one or two of these players that drag others along with them, which someone like Papley does.

That's why I'm keen on seeing what Kemp and Stocker do next year.
To me, both have that ability to 'influence' and not just be part of nice group. We'll see I guess.

Williams also in his way influences and impacts himself upon the contest. Very happy wth this get.

Don't know anything about this year's draft pool. But Rendell has a fantastic eye for talent. Well worth listening to.

Don't know anything about this year's draft pool. But Rendell has a fantastic eye for talent. Well worth listening to.

Agreed.

The best part of the interview was about his view on captaincy/leadership....the story goes....Wallsy appointed him Captain of Fitzroy in ‘83 and he didn’t get a reaction.

Years later Wallsy asks him why no reaction?
Rendel responds with “I was already the bloody captain!”

Certainly is, not many clubs had Neale on their radar and Rendell couldn’t convince Adelaide to take him with a pick in the draft...he’s was going to take him with their first pick in rookie draft but Fremantle stepped in around pick 56... crazy when you think about it.

Most clubs he’s been at Brisbane (during their 3peat), St Kilda (when they were losing Grand Finals), Adelaide and Collingwood have all had success while he’s been there. A shame if he’s lost to footy.

Certainly is, not many clubs had Neale on their radar and Rendell couldn’t convince Adelaide to take him with a pick in the draft...he’s was going to take him with their first pick in rookie draft but Fremantle stepped in around pick 56... crazy when you think about it.

Most clubs he’s been at Brisbane (during their 3peat), St Kilda (when they were losing Grand Finals), Adelaide and Collingwood have all had success while he’s been there. A shame if he’s lost to footy.

Is he the one that was hung out to dry in regards to his comments on indigenous players?

Why do you like Tanner so much? I'm not seeing it myself.
Quality midfielder, balanced , dual sided, kicking excellent, height may not be fashionable at, 1.82cm but a ticks all the right boxes, reliable full time midfielder.
We have several part time options already, but Tanner could a gem if he can get his body right.
There‘s a caveat for recruiters beware of the previous injuries , just how they’ll impact and affect his performance, development ? that’s the risk and drawback.

Bruhn would be excellent, love Archie Perkins hybrid forward/midfielder with X factor. My vote, I think, is for Nikolas Cox (aka Weiters with wheels).

If we retain our pick, there's definitely something there for us that fits our needs without having to reach.

Whether it be a long term replacement for Jones (Cox/DGB), Murphy's replacement (Bruhn), Ed's replacement (Phillips) or the dynamic hybrid mid/forward we're searching for (Hollands/Perkins), we're getting something we both want and need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back