List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Small defender? We have an abundance of options there. Small forward or KD/Ruck depth.

By small defender I mean capable of playing on and matching the very best small forwards in the comp, there actually isn't that many on our list that can do this. And Plowman certainly isn't that player Saad, Williamson, SPS and maybe a few of the recent draftees could develop there. Newman cannot stay with them nor do we want Docherty playing that role. I promise you every time an opposition coach sees Plowman or Newman on a Robbie Gray / Papley they very much like that match up, and if we have so many options; why have we had midfielders playing that role i.e Stocker and SPS.

By small defender I mean capable of playing on and matching the very best small forwards in the comp, there actually isn't that many on our list that can do this. And Plowman certainly isn't that player Saad, Williamson, SPS and maybe a few of the recent draftees could develop there. Newman cannot stay with them nor do we want Docherty playing that role. I promise you every time an opposition coach sees Plowman or Newman on a Robbie Gray / Papley they very much like that match up, and if we have so many options; why have we had midfielders playing that role i.e Stocker and SPS.

You haven’t watched Plowman play at all, have you?

Has spanked some of the best smalls in the game, including in 2020.

You haven’t watched Plowman play at all, have you?

Has spanked some of the best smalls in the game, including in 2020.
Seen him get spanked plenty too, which is fine, it's not his go playing on those guys, sorry but it's a fact. Not saying he didn't have a good year.

Why get rid of Macreadie then. Why not keep him as cover? You simply wouldn't do it, if he stays on the park he's going to be better than a DFA or 18y.o kid.

Macreadie couldn't stay on the park, Krooz retired, Goddard was not up to it, Ben needed more time, but may not have made it. That's 4 spine player.

Adding a DFA/mature prospect and drafting KPD makes absolute sense

Plow, Saad, Williams, we don't need small defenders

They might like the matchup but, they rarely win it. We have plenty of options in this role. Not a need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone above spoke of picks 31 and 38.
Where does this come from?

Pick 31 - Received from Sydney in a pick swap; received from Melbourne in a pick swap; received from GWS for Braydon Preuss; originally a compensation pick for losing free agent Aidan Corr

Pick 38 - Received from Geelong as part of Lachie Fogarty trade

Edit: No idea why there are so many hyperlinks, sorry it's a bit annoying to read.

Last edited:
I have it on good authority that if Logan McDonald is still on the board at #31 we will take him :thumbsu:

Not sure why we would take a KPF with our first pick when I would say a key defender/small forward is our biggest priorities, but I guess we'll just and see what's in store for us!

Makes no sense at all to bring in 2 KPD. One o.k but 2 is stretching it.

Right now, we need a key defender simply as depth if one of Jones or Weiters goes down. Levi will playing up forward to cover for Charlie, and those like Gov and Marchbank do not have the right attributes to be a key defender.

Next, we need a 2nd key defender as eventual replacement for Jones. He's turning 30 during the pre-season, so I don't know how much more is left in him. Although it may look like we have heaps of time, key position players usually take at least 3-4 years of development before they are ready in the seniors.

We can very well pass with only taking one key defender, but they have to young enough to still have at least 2-3 years left in them after Jones eventually retires.

Right now, we need a key defender simply as depth if one of Jones or Weiters goes down. Levi will playing up forward to cover for Charlie, and those like Gov and Marchbank do not have the right attributes to be a key defender.

Next, we need a 2nd key defender as eventual replacement for Jones. He's turning 30 during the pre-season, so I don't know how much more is left in him. Although it may look like we have heaps of time, key position players usually take at least 3-4 years of development before they are ready in the seniors.

We can very well pass with only taking one key defender, but they have to young enough to still have at least 2-3 years left in them after Jones eventually retires.

McGovern has all the attributes to play KPD, in fact they might as well get rid of when his contract is up if they aren't going to try this. Cause as a forward he is nowhere near it.

Last edited:
McGovern has all the attributes to play KPD, in fact they might as well get rid of when his contract is up if they aren't going to try this. Cause as forward he is nowhere near it.
What basic KPD attributes does he have then?

Size? No. A big body? No. Athleticism? No. Ability to read the ball well? Not particularly.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Makes absolute sense
Makes sense but I don't agree with it long term, if we were to bring in a mature age player, I'd prefer another ruck/forward option. I think there's a bit more versatility in our KP stocks than people give us credit for and our tall forward-line is no more or less settled than our backline. What we need is more impact, depth shouldn't be an end in itself.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back