Opinion Carlton's 2020 Leadership Group Announced Post 47

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do you want to see in Carlton's 2020 Leadership Group? Of course our captains Cripps and Docherty are in there so no need to talk about them too much.

For mine, I like to see each line represented in the leadership group but with our young side, that is not so easy. I also like to see a couple of younger players taking a more active role around the club in terms of helping out teammates and doing their fair share of media on behalf of the team. Additionally, I'd like to use a leadership spot as a reward.

I'd like to see Kade Simpson and Marc Murphy vacate their official leadership positions as they will turn 36 and 33 respectively midseason. Time to hand over the mantle. We shouldn't give Kreuzer another go due to age, injuries and lack of voice. Lachie Plowman was unlucky to lose his spot last year but I wouldn't return him if Docherty is fit come decision time as they are both back flankers.

I've ended up with a group of 6 including the captains. The other four are:

* Ed Curnow - captained the team brilliantly against Fremantle in 2019. He's a talker and leads by example. With Doc being an injury risk, it makes sense to have an older experienced player in the leadership group.

* Jacob Weitering - 22 years of age, 76 games. One of my next gen selections. Was believed to be captain material when first drafted due to the mature head he has on his shoulders. Had an excellent 2019 and is set to dominate his position going forward. Yes, he shares the backline with co-Captain Docherty, but he's a key position defender so can spend time organising with Jones, Marchbank, Goddard and whoever else plays through there.

* Jack Silvagni - 22 years of age, 60 games. My other youth selection. This may raise eyebrows given the drama around his Dad's departure, his tweets and him and his brother being punished for having a drink in the offseason while recovering from injury. Hear me out though; He is a very good communicator in front of the cameras, is a student of Carlton history, his selection could mend some fences, he is an extremely smart player on field and last but not least, he plays forward a lot. Charlie has his injury concerns, as does Harry, and McGovern didn't do enough in his one season with us thus far. Eddie Betts misses out for the same reason as Simmo and Murph, and he's only likely to have one good season left in him after 6 years away. Other young players project as leaders too, namely Walsh and maybe Setterfied but after one season, it's too early in my opinion.

* Levi Casboult/Liam Jones - My reward selection. Question is, which one? Both had great seasons and both deserve to be rewarded. Jones has signed for longer but with Weitering in my group, and Doc down back, I don't really want a 3rd defender in there. The irony is that if Jones goes down, Levi will probably take his place down back. As it stands though, Levi may represent the forwards or backs and definitely the rucks in this group. If being an honest, passionate team man wins you anything, I can't think of a better person to get the gig. Levi as my 6th leader.

Who do you want to see in Carlton's 2020 Leadership Group? Of course our captains Cripps and Docherty are in there so no need to talk about them too much.

For mine, I like to see each line represented in the leadership group but with our young side, that is not so easy. I also like to see a couple of younger players taking a more active role around the club in terms of helping out teammates and doing their fair share of media on behalf of the team. Additionally, I'd like to use a leadership spot as a reward.

I'd like to see Kade Simpson and Marc Murphy vacate their official leadership positions as they will turn 36 and 33 respectively midseason. Time to hand over the mantle. We shouldn't give Kreuzer another go due to age, injuries and lack of voice. Lachie Plowman was unlucky to lose his spot last year but I wouldn't return him if Docherty is fit come decision time as they are both back flankers.

I've ended up with a group of 6 including the captains. The other four are:

* Ed Curnow - captained the team brilliantly against Fremantle in 2019. He's a talker and leads by example. With Doc being an injury risk, it makes sense to have an older experienced player in the leadership group.

* Jacob Weitering - 22 years of age, 76 games. One of my next gen selections. Was believed to be captain material when first drafted due to the mature head he has on his shoulders. Had an excellent 2019 and is set to dominate his position going forward. Yes, he shares the backline with co-Captain Docherty, but he's a key position defender so can spend time organising with Jones, Marchbank, Goddard and whoever else plays through there.

* Jack Silvagni - 22 years of age, 60 games. My other youth selection. This may raise eyebrows given the drama around his Dad's departure, his tweets and him and his brother being punished for having a drink in the offseason while recovering from injury. Hear me out though; He is a very good communicator in front of the cameras, is a student of Carlton history, his selection could mend some fences, he is an extremely smart player on field and last but not least, he plays forward a lot. Charlie has his injury concerns, as does Harry, and McGovern didn't do enough in his one season with us thus far. Eddie Betts misses out for the same reason as Simmo and Murph, and he's only likely to have one good season left in him after 6 years away. Other young players project as leaders too, namely Walsh and maybe Setterfied but after one season, it's too early in my opinion.

* Levi Casboult/Liam Jones - My reward selection. Question is, which one? Both had great seasons and both deserve to be rewarded. Jones has signed for longer but with Weitering in my group, and Doc down back, I don't really want a 3rd defender in there. The irony is that if Jones goes down, Levi will probably take his place down back. As it stands though, Levi may represent the forwards or backs and definitely the rucks in this group. If being an honest, passionate team man wins you anything, I can't think of a better person to get the gig. Levi as my 6th leader.
If we are making serious inroads towards finals, some of those probably won’t be in the 22.

Want guys who give maximum effort, look after team mates and won’t be intimidated.

Like the Weitering, Levi and Ed selections. Walsh might be a bit early, won’t be long until he is a certainty. Willo would be a chance, won’t die wondering and already gets in opposition faces when they overstep the line. Been around long enough to make an impression. Stocker a couple of seasons away.

Almost need a mid aged draftee to step up as well, Brackets could be the one if he has gotten serious about what he is doing. If not, Harry the most likely forward.

If we are making serious inroads towards finals, some of those probably won’t be in the 22.

Want guys who give maximum effort, look after team mates and won’t be intimidated.

Like the Weitering, Levi and Ed selections. Walsh might be a bit early, won’t be long until he is a certainty. Willo would be a chance, won’t die wondering and already gets in opposition faces when they overstep the line. Been around long enough to make an impression. Stocker a couple of seasons away.

Almost need a mid aged draftee to step up as well, Brackets could be the one if he has gotten serious about what he is doing. If not, Harry the most likely forward.

Ed and Levi are short terms members. Ed is an incumbent and deserves to stay. Levi a reward selection.

I am not sure if Jack will make it but 60 games is a good start and nobody jumps up ahead of him.

I think it would be good to have a player like Jack that may be in the two’s be in the leadership group as they will be able to be Captain when they go down and be able to represent hold the training standards for those players in the lower grade. It could also foster unity in the whole group. Shooting the wind.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

These names speak for themselves. No need to complicate by looking at things in too many different angles.
These guys lead by example and are approachable. Picked mcgov as he’s the one that seems to be our go to player when we need to shift momentum. Very important player.
Cripps
Doc
Ed
Mcgov
Betts
Walsh
I'd agree with all of these, except for Betts - just let him play with a big smile!

I'd agree with all of these, except for Betts - just let him play with a big smile!
We still have the ‘Spiritual Leader’ position to fill, reckon Eddie might be the one

Will have to wait and see, can’t predict how you will behave next year, I don’t have 2020 vision.
oh dear - someone's pretty happy with themselves - pay that one......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps & Doc, obviously.

Murph is a near-automatic inclusion for me. Still among our top 3 mids, invests hugely in our kids, and has a wealth of leadership experience as captain. Don't see his age as an obstacle at all.

Weiters seems ready to step up and should be a great addition.

Beyond that, it really depends how big a group we want this year. Ed and Plowman are probably the next two for me. Agree that it's time for Simmo to step back as he transitions more into the player welfare stuff.

It would be good to include a forward, but I don't see one who merits a spot ahead of the above. Not ideal, but also not the end of the world. It's been several years since we last had a forward in the group -- maybe Armfield in 2017?

anyone have any intel on when the leadership group concept first came in?

You'd have a fairly good insight on that, wouldn't you? I believe it was a speech by Socrates in front of the Parthenon.

best I could discover on the emergence of leadership groups is this article - stan alves and the saints in the mid nineties..........

You'd have a fairly good insight on that, wouldn't you? I believe it was a speech by Socrates in front of the Parthenon.

often struggled to win the people over with his stoney faced delivery.........

im-74873

Remove this Banner Ad

Back