Opinion Carlton's 2020 Leadership Group Announced Post 47

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly wish they limited the numbers in the leadership group a little more, that being said some clubs have half the fielded side in the leadership group this year.

Can't really argue anyone there isn't deserving however.

Weiters was a given. Jones was always a possibility. Walsh looks a leader but very very early.
4 midfielders and 3 defenders.

It may be seen to be early but he has Stocker, Dow, O'Brien, DeKoning, BSilvagni, Cottrell, O'Dwyer, Kemp, Philp, Ramsay, Honey and Phillips either around his age or younger.
That's over 30% of our squad being 20 years of age and younger. Probably more of a 'do as I do' type leader for the young guys. Don't mind it.

It may be seen to be early but he has Stocker, Dow, O'Brien, DeKoning, BSilvagni, Cottrell, O'Dwyer, Kemp, Philp, Ramsay, Honey and Phillips either around his age or younger.
That's over 30% of our squad being 20 years of age and younger. Probably more of a 'do as I do' type leader for the young guys. Don't mind it.

Good for setting the example in preparation, training and willingness to learn and seek advice.

It's no Bryce Gibbs selection.

If, as per other years, Walshy, Weiters and Jones were voted in by the playing group, it's a ringing endorsement.

If Walsh is seen as one of their leaders, especially by the young guys, then he must be giving a lot of support off field as well. Impressive really.

Good for setting the example in preparation, training and willingness to learn and seek advice.
It's no Bryce Gibbs selection.

Walsh sets the example for more senior players on the track.
If Walsh goes down, you know he must be in real pain. Seen examples of this at training.

I've said it here before; Walsh already trains the way Gibbs did when he was 25.
Gibbs looked wonderful at training when he chose to go full tilt, but Walsh is there already.

Put it this way; You'd be a real hard-arse to say "Who are you to tell me anything?" to Walsh.
Walsh already has those runs on the board.

Well done to all who made it in.

New guys:

- Jones. What a story. Deserves enormous praise for this career turnaround.

- Weitering. Welcome to the leadership group. Don’t expect to see him demoted any time over the next decade.

- Walsh. The surprise, though I’m not sure why. Very young but you can just tell he’s a born leader. Don’t expect to see him demoted any time over the next century.

I'd love to know how the player voting works in combination with the LG numbers.

Does the club decide "We want 7 players, so the top 7 by the votes get in", or do the players just vote and the club then has the freedom to set the threshold wherever it feels right (ie. Jones was #7 and they want to reward his efforts) or wherever it starts to feel wrong (ie. Finbar at 8...evidently we're not taking this very seriously, guess the LG is set at 7 this year).

Looks good. As for player leadership groups generally, I don’t think it really matters exactly how many members they have My only concern is putting Walsh in there at 19. He’s a star, a gun and someone we rate incredibly highly. I feel we would be better served letting him develop without additional responsibility.
Walsh will be targeted this year and I don’t think it necessarily helps him. If he continues on his 2019 form he will be a genuine superstar of the competition this decade. The poise he showed in his first year indicates he is born to lead but he is 19. It’s no knock on him I’m just mindful of letting him grow without additional responsibilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly wish they limited the numbers in the leadership group a little more, that being said some clubs have half the fielded side in the leadership group this year.

Can't really argue anyone there isn't deserving however.
Agree 7 is probably too many.. Suspect it will be reduced in coming years.

Agree 7 is probably too many.. Suspect it will be reduced in coming years.
They often fluctuate a bit: one year it goes up as there's a couple of younger guys joining the group, they learn off the older guys before they step down.

Ages as of today:

32 Murphy
30 Ed
28 Jones
26 Docherty
24 Cripps
22 Weitering
19 Walsh

That's a pretty nice even spread! Would expect next year Maybe Murph and Ed step down which puts us back a 5, maybe Jones a year later which is back at 4, provided there are no additions.

They often fluctuate a bit: one year it goes up as there's a couple of younger guys joining the group, they learn off the older guys before they step down.

Ages as of today:

32 Murphy
30 Ed
28 Jones
26 Docherty
24 Cripps
22 Weitering
19 Walsh

That's a pretty nice even spread! Would expect next year Maybe Murph and Ed step down which puts us back a 5, maybe Jones a year later which is back at 4, provided there are no additions.

Very nice spread.

Next in is probably Setterfield, if he has a strong season (couple of seasons). I like Jack as a leadership prospect too, not sure how that drinking whilst injured incident will affect his chances. A strong season would be helpful, as we do need a leader in the forward line.

Truly stoked for the new additions. Walshy and Weiters aren't a surprise at all in my eyes. Both born leaders and have the runs on the board and respect of the group. Jones is just a fantastic story. Love how the group are getting around him. Hoping for a fantastic year. Could genuinely push for AA.

All great choices. Happiest for a Jones—what a story.

Touch wood, it motivates him to even higher standards.

I note that some ... Plowman, Kreuzer, Rowe for example, have struggled with form or injury when in the leadership group.

Congrats to Jacob, Liam & Sam.

Well deserved.

COMM20-AFL-Leadership-Group-Announcement-1920x1080.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back