Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Congrats to Jacob, Liam & Sam.

Well deserved.

COMM20-AFL-Leadership-Group-Announcement-1920x1080.jpg
To smile or not to smile

Last edited:
If it wasn't for Brodie floating the idea of trialing Jones in the backline mid-season, Liam would likely have been playing in a bush league last couple of years.

Never had I seen an individual so dominant as Jones was against Sandringham, inclusive of Josh Bruce.
Not Diesel, nor Kouta nor Cripps. Only the VFL but that was a game for the ages.
Good on Bruce for not throwing it all away after having had his back-side exposed by this beast. Would have had every right to say, "Maybe this isn't for me"

Oct 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
If it wasn't for Brodie floating the idea of trialing Jones in the backline mid-season, Liam would likely have been playing in a bush league last couple of years.

Never had I seen an individual so dominant as Jones was against Sandringham, inclusive of Josh Bruce.

I still remember reading your match report Harks, and thinking you’d absolutely lost the plot! You’ve got every right to keep reminding us.

I still remember reading your match report Harks, and thinking you’d absolutely lost the plot! You’ve got every right to keep reminding us.

Don't laugh but I left the ground disorientated thinking to myself; That did not happen. I must be dreaming. :)

Gave a friend a call and started off with - You're not going to believe this but..........

Congratulations Liam, Jacob and Sammy. Well deserved.

And we thought Liam's career transformation couldn't get any bigger. This is bloody brilliant. Inspirational stuff, Liam.

Not Diesel, nor Kouta nor Cripps. Only the VFL but that was a game for the ages.

Not even Diesel's 50 possession game that he got robbed of a Brownlow in?

Jesus.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Great story! :thumbsu:

“I never thought being in the leadership group would be something that I could achieve,” Jones said.
“Mainly this pre-season I’ve really taken a backwards step out of my own game and looked at the younger players and I’ve just tried to help as many people as I can.

“To be acknowledged by my teammates for this role, I’m really honoured and really grateful.”

What’s the go with Brisbane’s leadership group? More players on there than our mid season injury list or Essendon’s injecting program

Zorko (31) and Martin (33) are towards the end of their career.

Ryan Lester is their NEAFL captain who will be called upon to provide AFL depth.

That leaves a group of 6 -- Andrews (23), Neale (26), Berry (22), Lyons (27), Gardiner (24), McLuggage (21) -- as their intended long-term leadership group.

McLuggage and Berry are the succession plan who are watching and learning how to lead so that when Zorko and Martin retire they're in a good place.

Realistically, if they didn't include their VFL captain in their overall leadership group, they've only got 1 more than what we do (i.e. we have Walsh, they have Berry and McLuggage).

My Hat

All Australian
Aug 18, 2018
My head
AFL Club
Carlton
Congrats to all. Weiters was due, and what a great vote of confidence for Jones.

Have to say I'm in two minds about Walsh's inclusion. No matter who you are, there are some things you only learn through experience. That said, the kid's a freak (in the best way) -- if there's anyone who can contribute as a leader this early in their career, it's him.

Had no idea this Emerging Leaders program was a thing. Sounds a like a good idea though, good on the club for putting it in place.

Back