Opinion Carlton's 2020 Leadership Group Announced Post 47

Remove this Banner Ad

He really doesn't have much responsibility on his shoulders as the most junior of 7 experienced leaders. I think it's fine.

Contrast that with McDavid, tasked with captaining the Oilers at 19.

Last edited:

Thrilled for Liam the Lion heart Jones.

From almost considering the biggest whipping boy, not just amongst Carlron fans but the AFL in General, through ro reinventing himself and becoming one of our most important defenders and arguably a cult hero and fan favourite.

Feels like something out of a Hollywood storybook movie starting someone like Kevin Costner or Al Pacino playing the Brendon Bolt role in turning L-Jones career ago.

Okay, I probably watch way too many movies, but i am just so proud of and thrilled for Liam 👍👍👍

leadership groups, spare me........walsh? fmd........

I wouldn't have put in him just yet, but if the young man has the desire and confidence in himself, and the trust of his teammates who voted him In, I will have to have cautious optimism in this promotion (of sorts)

I would like to think this isn't another misjudged Bryce Gibbs decision, Walsh is one of the most impressive and prepared and hard working first year players/teen I have ever seen in my lifetime of following footy.

I think the Walsh selection is a mistake. I dont like it.

Putting too much too early on young shoulders is rarely a good thing. The only thing Walsh should be worried about in year two is continuing to develop his mind and body so that he can take the next step towards becoming the player we all think he'll be.

What a story Liam Jones. Fantastic. Good to see an indigenous player in our leadership group too.

thank * this bullshit is over - until this time next year of course - when it will be rejigged, tweaked and otherwise altered - if it's so important why does it have to change every year, ffs? over-hyped nonsense...............walsh? just play football young man..........

I think the Walsh selection is a mistake. I dont like it.

Putting too much too early on young shoulders is rarely a good thing. The only thing Walsh should be worried about in year two is continuing to develop his mind and body so that he can take the next step towards becoming the player we all think he'll be.

What a story Liam Jones. Fantastic. Good to see an indigenous player in our leadership group too.

I tend to agree with mostly about Walsh.

But, but, what if he himself put his hand up and wanted to be part of the LG, as part as his on going development and maturity as a very impressive and poised young person.

Are we in danger of underselling just how mature/mentally prepared Walsh is, not just as a player but a human being as well ?

Would you bet against Walshy, given how extraordinary and record breaking his debut season was?

I think if Walsh wanted it (being in the leadership group), I think it's worth letting him have a crack at it, even if only for one year.

Would like to think Walsh does have the drive and ambition inside of him to be a leader at this Club.
For far too long we have drafted introverts/reluctant leaders, Sam Walsh looks like being a mould breaker in many facets as a player.

When the reinvented Jones was born i was sceptical.
I’d read with interest/surprise HARKER’s reports from Preston but just couldn’t buy it.
Sure he had some ability but he never did enough of anything and id run out of patience and faith.
But HARKER’s reports kept coming, he wouldn’t give up and obviously either would Jones.
He eventually kicked the senior’s door down and won selection again.
I thought to myself, this won’t take long to fail and off to the game i went for confirmation.
Jones was a different player this time, fully committed, all the time.
When it’d be safer for him to sit back on his man he’d do the team thing and attack the contest or opposition whenever required.
After a while it became apparent that Jones was playing with a 100% team first mindset and it was so refreshing and impressive to see as this is a difficult thing to do for a man on footy’s death row playing in a bottom team.
These days he’s my favourite player and I’m happy for him that his peers and coaches recognise the manner in which he now commits himself to them and our club.
Congratulations Liam Jones !! a lesson there for all of us ... 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back