Senior List
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
9 years is a long time.

This is the head to head between the Blues and Demons from 2008 to 2016:

Carlton - 9
Melbourne - 1

Despite both teams having their ups and downs over the last 9 years (mostly downs), Carlton continue to put the Demons away.

Why is that?

9 years is a long time.

This is the head to head between the Blues and Demons from 2008 to 2016:

Carlton - 9
Melbourne - 1

Despite both teams having their ups and downs over the last 9 years (mostly downs), Carlton continue to put the Demons away.

Why is that?

I love it. My missus is a demons supporter. Great for bragging rights in the family. They are our bitches.

It's a battle of two of the most mentally flakiest teams in the AFL - so nothing really much to write home about.

Just means we are slightly less flaky.:p

Would be interesting to go back and look at the situations the two clubs were in for each clash, such as ladder position, run of form, injuries etc. It's a significantly one-sided head to head stat that I hadn't even realised was the case.

Then again, it could just be that footy can be weird sometimes!

No real mystery to this. We've been better than them that whole time except for the last couple of years.

Same with the Hawthorn thing for us. No s**t we haven't beaten them since '05. Look where the teams have finished since.

It's not a bogey team if one is consistently better than the other and keeps winning.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say it's gone relatively unnoticed because we've never really had a rivalry with them, combined with the fact that we haven't really been battling together for a top 8 spot or anything.
This was a fairly significant game for them because it still gave them a faint hope of making the 8.
It's funny when there's no real emotion behind it. I don't really care that we've had the wood on them for so long and unless it happens in a fairly significant game for us, I won't really care when they break that hoodoo.

We were bottom of the ladder between 05 and 07 and improved to making finals 2009-2011 & 2013 (finished 9th), and then fell away in 2014 and 2015. They beat us in 2014 as they've been on the improve under roos, while we were falling away under Malthouse. No real surprises in that stat, particularly given the total wins over that period.
2008 - 3 wins
2009 - 4 wins
2010 - 8 wins (we still finished above them on the ladder)
2011 - 8 wins (we still finished above them on the ladder)
2012 - 4 wins
2013 - 2 wins
2014 - 4 wins
2015 - 7 wins

We finished above them on the ladder almost every single year. They had a total of 40 wins from circa 176 games or a win % of 23%. From 9-10 games, then it suggests a total of 2 wins.

We've been accused of being downhill skiers over the last decade, which weren't totally off the mark, but every time we play Melbourne we seem to play harder and Melbourne play soft football.

We've been accused of being downhill skiers over the last decade, which weren't totally off the mark, but every time we play Melbourne we seem to play harder and Melbourne play soft football.
hard being a downhill skier when you're dying in a ditch

remember the day Johnson tried to kick out 4 times? and 4 times he kicked it to the opposition? that day? I think they had to drag him off and put him under a table alone for a while - the Carlton crowd went nasty.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back