Rumour Carlton's Paddy Dow Has Requested A Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Harsh! He's got "potential" though. But yeah his kicking is woeful.
Theres nothing there, he's not good enough for inside and he cant get it on the outside. I just don't understand how someone as bad has him with his kicking gets recruited at that high of a pick...

pretty bizarre he ever went that high. not criticising SOS there, just more a comment on how dumb the whole "afl industry" is. the guy has no physical game and not even the body to really develop one. he has terrible skills too. yet somehow he was a widely accepted first rounder as an 'explosive midfielder'...

the mind boggles
He played well enough in U18s to have everyone convinced he could be a good midfielder. It's probably just the reality of drafting 18 year old kids who are playing against some kids who peaked at 16-17. Some will get better and better once in the AFL system, some don't. See it time and time again with big forwards who monster kids. It wouldn't surprise me to see Dow develop into something at some stage, a star though certainly not. U18s performances against some mediocre talent masked that this kid probably doesn't work as hard as a midfielder should nor does he have a natural instinct for finding the footy.

I know of one high pick who turned into a gun. He was good in u18s but still a speculative sort of pick. If he didn't pan out we all probably would have been asking why a bloke with the traits he had was so highly coveted. But he did enough in U18s to shoot up the boards and the AFL simply turned him into something greater.

Reading between the lines and judging by what I've seen with Dow he doesn't seem to have the drive to be a great AFL player.

I was annoyed though that this season panned out how it did with Covid. Instead of getting the chance to put in time at VFL level and get some games after hitting some form, he played in some meaningless scratch matches and a couple of AFL games where he clearly was off the pace.

Theres nothing there, he's not good enough for inside and he cant get it on the outside. I just don't understand how someone as bad has him with his kicking gets recruited at that high of a pick...
Great handball disposal and has a great burst of speed from the contest.

But yeh not much else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back