Caro has got it right - no need for clash jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

Nar they are needed i remember in the Freo Vs Melbourne final last year Melbourne didn't wear one and it was hard to tell the teams apart from behind

I think there needs to be some clash jumpers, in a few games at least. Adelaide vs Melbourne is always s**t.

I know some of these teams have been playing against each other for years without a problem but guernseys have changed in the last 10 years and the bold colours are being diluted by more prominent advertising and logos.

If they focussed on HD technologies and people could afford good HD widescreen LCD TVs over 42", then we'd have no issue.

But then you get the majority of people unable to afford huge overpriced plastic HD TVs and stick with perfectly fine tube teles and Foxtel come in with downgraded bandwidth and impossible to tell apart teams.

Watching home/home jumpers on channel 10 HD with a 50" TV would = no confusion. But it's not cheap and only 10 do it. And we've already introduced the clash jumpers. So it's hard to change now. Sad fact.

20564.jpg

I give clash strips the thumbs up :thumbsu:

There is a need for clash jumpers.

Geelong vs Collingwood is an obivious clash. When playing you dont see Stripes/hoops or Dark blue/Black you just see Light and Dark which makes it very easy, if you see a player out of the corner of your eye to incorrectly think their on your team.

Geelong vs Collingwood is an obivious clash. When playing you dont see Stripes/hoops or Dark blue/Black you just see Light and Dark which makes it very easy, if you see a player out of the corner of your eye to incorrectly think their on your team.
Not at all. Seen any footage of theirs from the 90s and before? Wasn't a problem. One would wear the white shorts, the other dark. And Collingwood would wear their proper guernsey, not the inverse.

Nar they are needed i remember in the Freo Vs Melbourne final last year Melbourne didn't wear one and it was hard to tell the teams apart from behind

It wouldn't be so hard if Freo stuck with their original predominately green strip and didn't change it to a predominately blue strip for the sake of fashion ... :rolleyes:

Didnt 90% of players surveyed say they had a problem with distinguishing certain teams out on the field?

How many games has Caro played?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didnt 90% of players surveyed say they had a problem with distinguishing certain teams out on the field?

How many games has Caro played?

As Francis Leach articulately said " when was the last time someone criticised a male gynacologist for never having had a baby"

Nah, the worst would be if you were a colour blind person whilst playing or watching Collingwood vs North Melbourne.

i'm a fan of the alternative strip. there's nothing better than in the english premier league - you know exactly who's who out on the pitch.

anyone that says that there isn't a clash between, say, essendon and st.kilda's jumpers is kidding themselves.

With the performance of most Victorian teams this century - pride in the jumper is an arguement that just doesn't wash. Move with the times, the alternate jumpers are just another factor in slowing bringing you into the new century, a change in mind set which will allow you to evolve with the national competition and compete. Your 20th century attitudes are holding you back and limiting your chances of success. I applaud clubs such as the Bulldogs which have embraced the concept and provided a brilliant clash guernsey. The Bulldogs are fast becoming one of the most progressive clubs, and although they may be limited off field compared to other clubs, their attitude is one that will bring them success far quicker than a few of the old school dinosaur clubs congregated around the Port Phillip Bay region.

As Francis Leach articulately said " when was the last time someone criticised a male gynacologist for never having had a baby"

LOL, I was listening when he said that, unfortunately you have quoted him in the wrong instance here. They were talking about Caro having an opinion on football in general.

I am talking about the players, 90% of the actual players who play in the league say they have a problem with clashes.

How can someone, anyone, regardless of sex, simply state there is no need, especially if they have never played the game, male or female? How would she, or any other male who hasnt played, know about the periphial vision or otherwise in the fast past game of today?

I'm not a Caro fan. She made me feel ill again tonight.

But she's spot on for once. There is no need to have clash jumpers. Why can we not leave the bloody game alone in at least one area?

I disagree. Look at your own avatar.

image.php

It's cute how attached people are to their club's jumper, a bit like that old teddy bear with one eye missing.

If it was up to me, I'd force every single away team to wear all white.
It's much better for players and spectators.

If they focussed on HD technologies and people could afford good HD widescreen LCD TVs over 42", then we'd have no issue.

But then you get the majority of people unable to afford huge overpriced plastic HD TVs and stick with perfectly fine tube teles and Foxtel come in with downgraded bandwidth and impossible to tell apart teams.

Watching home/home jumpers on channel 10 HD with a 50" TV would = no confusion. But it's not cheap and only 10 do it. And we've already introduced the clash jumpers. So it's hard to change now. Sad fact.

jeez, you've solved it.

everybody goes and buys a big telly. problem solved.

If it was up to me, I'd force every single away team to wear all white.
It's much better for players and spectators.

I agree, not necessarily with all white, but the clash strip must be completely different to the home strip. For example, Essendon's "clash" strip was useless, if anything, the only clash avoidance was done by wearing red shorts, which would have achieved the same thing with our normal jumper I reckon.

The AFL needs to force us to wear a jumper predominately not red or black. Our "clash" games are against teams like St. Kilda, who are predomiantely red and black, so I fail to see how an alternative strip with different amounts of each of those two colours does anything, but anyway.

Personally, I wouldnt mind Essendon trialing a style close to that of River Plate in Argentina - all white with a normal (thin) red sash, white shorts etc. Would work a treat as a clash, and IMO River Plate has a good strip, not ugly at all.

Also, the AFL needs to incorporate shorts into this. A couple of games this season, such as Collingwood v North, it was a joke. North wore their "clash" strip, which is predominately blue and gets rid of most of the white from their traditional, against collingwoods black and white stripes, so what do they do? As the HOME team, North wear WHITE shorts? WTF!!!!

Sometimes the mind boggles...

How do you think they watched the footy through a 10" No Definition Black and White TV?

Clash jumpers is code for marketing initiative.

And what do you call slapping sponsorship boards wherever you can on the jumper? A great tradition upheld?

Jumper tradition wasnt so important then, was it?

Clash jumpers has to be the most overrated "issue" in football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back