Caro has got it right - no need for clash jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.footyjumpers.com/

Interesting site on Home and away jumpers.

For mine, I will never understand why people want to argue about this, Clubs surely still have their rights to "own" their own colours and designs - like any business.

Yes I know the AFL actually does but I think that's a disgrace.

I love that site.
People should donate money to that guy.

yea, thats the jumper I am referring too. I know it has had slight changes, but that basic concept. The darker blue I didnt like, and the yellow one would work fine as a clash.

Why isnt it that one your home strip?

Good question. Supporters were asked to vote on whether the home strip would remain the same as the 2000-2006 home version, or be a variation that included the current logo instead of the vomit logo. No option to have the away strip (best by a mile) as the home version. Kind of like John Howard's republic referendum question.

Wilson got right up my nose with her arrogant dismissal of the need for clash jumpers last night. Who is she to speak for every football fan?
I sometimes struggle to tell teams apart. The Freo V Melbourne final last year is a case in point. At long distance, eg the other end of the ground, it was nearly impossible to differentiate the teams.
It's an issue for players AND supporters.
Geelong's clashes with Collingwood and the Kangaroos have been an issue for years.
Who cares whether it's a money making ploy, nobody makes you buy the jumper, it's your choice. The fact is, some people, me included, can't always tell the difference between jumpers/teams and thus clash jumpers make perfect sense.

Had to laugh at the Hawk fan claiming sole ownership of brown and gold! They're all yours mate, No-one else will ever want them!!

Footy Classified is way too argumentative for my liking, no-one gets to finish a sentence before they are jumped on or criticised.
The old Talking Footy was way superior, not-with-standing the Robert Walls era. Even Wilson was bearable back then.

Wilson got right up my nose with her arrogant dismissal of the need for clash jumpers last night. Who is she to speak for every football fan?
I sometimes struggle to tell teams apart. The Freo V Melbourne final last year is a case in point. At long distance, eg the other end of the ground, it was nearly impossible to differentiate the teams.
It's an issue for players AND supporters.
Geelong's clashes with Collingwood and the Kangaroos have been an issue for years.
Who cares whether it's a money making ploy, nobody makes you buy the jumper, it's your choice. The fact is, some people, me included, can't always tell the difference between jumpers/teams and thus clash jumpers make perfect sense.

Had to laugh at the Hawk fan claiming sole ownership of brown and gold! They're all yours mate, No-one else will ever want them!!

Footy Classified is way too argumentative for my liking, no-one gets to finish a sentence before they are jumped on or criticised.
The old Talking Footy was way superior, not-with-standing the Robert Walls era. Even Wilson was bearable back then.
Yeah... I like On The Couch (If ya have Foxtel)

But I think that its most important for players... If they cant distinguish then definately have them (I like those white ones) and then think of the customer

I dont think Caro knows what its like playing on the field at the pace its played

Caro has got it right.

There is no need to fix anything if it ain't broke.

Guernseys/jumpers represent history and a link to players who have worn the same guernsey style as you.

Wake up call for some of you - just cause they do it in the precious English soccer league - doesn't mean we have to follow behind like some dribbling lackey.

If there are clubs that want to have an alternative strip - Fremantle would be a prime candidate as their alternative strip is 100% better than their proper guernsey - then good on em.

But as far as Carlton is concerned there is nothing to improve upon other the fact that they have already fiddled around with the monogram and that was enough to annoy me. The proper monogram (the one used up to 1997) is the one they need to re-introduce.

Collingwood doesn't WANT to have alternative guernsey - that should be their right. The AFL is not a dictatorship...or is it?

For mine, the perfect resolution.
Between the two of us we've solved the Clash jumper problem.
well done lb.

Hopefully this would be a resolution. Sadly I don't think all 16 clubs would ever be able to agree.

I would love to look forward ten years and see what happens in regard to clash jumpers.

I love that site.
People should donate money to that guy.

One of the best sites going around. Mero I love the work you put into it.:D:thumbsu:

Hopefully this would be a resolution. Sadly I don't think all 16 clubs would ever be able to agree.

I would love to look forward ten years and see what happens in regard to clash jumpers.
Not all, but Essendon needs two, and some common sense from the AFL on Richmond.
Collingwood needs two or three.

The other clubs embrace Clash jumpers.
Which doesn't validate forcing those who don't want them to adopt them, but does mean they will wear them without issue.

And realistically, 10 years from now, I really suspect they'll all have two or three. But that doesn't mean we can't spend the next 10 years bitching about it.

PS Thanks for giving the game away on the website. :)

realistically, 10 years from now, I really suspect they'll all have two or three. But that doesn't mean we can't spend the next 10 years bitching about it.

PS Thanks for giving the game away on the website. :)

I do enjoy reading all the arguments over clash jumpers and you are right, there is going to be more arguing yet.

Sorry about giving the game away, thought though crow28 had already given a very strong hint in that direction.:cool: I always do enjoy your input on discusions in regard to alternative jumpers, heritage round and the general history of the clubs.:thumbsu:

40 odd years ago it wasn't a billion dollar industry. People expect a little more these days.
I agree that people expect more, I don't agree that this is a problem worthy of so much attention. I regularly attend the footy (as I'm sure you do) and really this has never been a problem as a fan, and I have yet to hear a player offer the 'clash' as a genuine reason for a poor decision. I mean who was the player who roosted the footy the wrong way full stop in the first round? What, do we put a flashing arrow on the footy saying 'kick this way'. Same same with handballs, players regularly handball to the wrong player, simply because of pressure from an inconsistent holding the ball rule, so do we stop anyone from tackling for one second to give them time to handball? I realise these are not genuine problems or solutions, but I'm using them to demonstrate that just because someone identified a small problem doesn't mean that an idea plucked from an overseas sport will make the problem go away. A little confusion will always exsist in all aspects of such a quick sport, and there are bigger areas of ambiguity to worry about than across the board changes to footy jumpers.

And this is the big point IMO. Back when they got mud all over them, etc the game was not professional. There weren't millions of dollars being gambled on matches. The players weren't getting payed the same as now - mostly it was for fun, rather than as a job.
Like your jumpers, just don't think that there is that much of a problem with 'seeing'. I mean if clubs and fans decide that they like an alternative jumper, why not? But really with the one or two clashes that (apparently)occur every year why fiddle with things that arouse so much passion when we have enough turmoil in the game and it already costs fans a shed load to 'belong' to a Club? The point isn't what players get paid, but if the problem actually warrants changing jumper colours 2 or even 3 times a year. As I pointed out, it only seems to have become an 'issue' for the AFL after the last soccer world cup when the commission went on a junket and came back with all sorts of 'crackpot' schemes. Remember the BS with AFL players not being allowed to cut their socks short and the commission commented on how 'smart' all the pinball players looked with their socks pulled up? Guess what AFL? You are plain stupid, a wet AFL footy sock can hold up to 400 ml of water (go on, dip one in the bath and see how much water you can wring out), 2 socks could equal 800 mls. Given that studies have shown that 1 Kg on the foot equals 7 kg on your back, that means that players were being quite smart in reducing the size of their socks to limit the weight their bodies carry when running on wet days. Again AFL worry about this BS when they can't even detect illegal drug use. Of course they probably also don't realise the reason the Soccer players pull their socks up is to keep their shin guards in place and not so they can look good! The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the Super Bowl the strips are determined by the two conferances (AFC and NFC) alternating who is the "home" team.

"The designated "home team" alternates between the NFC team in odd-numbered years (the Chicago Bears in 2007), and the AFC team in even-numbered years (the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2006). The home team is given the choice of either wearing their colored jerseys or their white ones; this started with Super Bowl XIII."

I've got no idea how it is decided for the NRL Grand Final. Channel 9 decides perhaps ;)

Caro couldn't get anything right if you gave her the answers in advance.

One of the realities of world sport is that every professional team has two sets of colours so that the difference between two teams is absolutely apparent at first glance. Not doing so in a sport which is played on such a huge playing arena as Australian Rules is insane. Just because we haven't done it in the past is no reason to justify what is clearly obvious in every sport.

Then Freo need to change their jumper then.

Should never have been allowed into the league with a jumper that could have been mistaken for another teams. Port in this boat as well. Change them both now.

I don't think we want to get into retrospective rule changes do you? Because you may find that Collingwood's vertical stripes way back in 1894 clashed with a 25 year old club already wearing vertical stripes in the competition Collingwood entered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back