Caro promoting dissent between the clubs & the Commission

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

'Behind the scenes a number of club presidents are canvassing new candidates for a commission they believe has lost its clout while continually struggling to understand, assist and influence the big issues facing the game and its clubs.

It is understood a fresh approach has been made to Jeff Browne, the AFL's long-time legal advisor and former Nine (owner of this masthead) managing director.

That Goyder is based in Perth has become an even larger elephant in the room particularly for the Victorian clubs but also in the non-traditional football states due to his total lack of public presence during the 2020 pandemic where CEO Gillon McLachlan has single-handedly presented virtually every major and momentous decision.

Whether the Browne push gains legs - and a quarter of the presidents have already indicated they would support his nomination - the fact that the clubs are moving to exercise the constitutional power they relinquished in practice decades ago remains significant. '

Personally I am very critical of the lack of footy involvement on the Commission. The clubs need to be active in ensuring the game is getting the attention of the Commission, not leaving it to committees of people who see change as their mark on the game.

Get stuck into it Caro.

Last edited:
I think she is right about Goyder he has way too many irons in the fire to be an effective AFL chairman.
Time for a change back to a football person.

The Executive has been far too powerful over the last 20 years and the Commission has fsiled in its duty to protect all clubs.

The problem is the AFL controls 13 clubs with $$$ threats and outright controls 3 clubs with voting power. And the Executive is the one who pulls the strings.

Other than Andrew Newbold who on the Commission has any idea how to run a football club ?

The Executive has been far too powerful over the last 20 years and the Commission has fsiled in its duty to protect all clubs.

The problem is the AFL controls 13 clubs with $$$ threats and outright controls 3 clubs with voting power. And the Executive is the one who pulls the strings.

Other than Andrew Newbold who on the Commission has any idea how to run a football club ?

Not a fan of CEO sitting on the Commission.

Of the current 10 AFL Commissioners, only 1 is an ex-elite player- Jason Ball.
IMO, the AFL Commission should have a ratio, preferably, of at least 20% of former elite players (this includes ex WAFL, SANFL, or VFL players also).

After he resigned from the AFL Commission Chairman M. Fitzpatrick openly admitted in 2017 he wanted an interchange limit of 30-40 per team (on radio later, he said his preference was a limit of 30- but was outvoted on this issue in the Commission).

Last edited:
It should have people with experiencing in running major sporting clubs. Doesnt even matter the sport. Just that they have been successful so know how to weed through the bullshit the AFL Exec and Club Presidents spin.

Their only goal is protect the AFL.

Protect the AFL might be 'right now', but I'm concerned more generally, the Commission are not setting the direction, questioning the direction of the game independent of the AFL competition. Rubber stamping the Executive all of whom seem to earn bonuses - for what?
Naturally the clubs are looking after their own best interests, as is fair enough in the Covid era.

I would like to see the decisions of the Commission be more transparent.

Last edited:
Protect the AFL might be 'right now', but I'm concerned more generally, the Commission are not setting the direction, questioning the direction of the game independent of the AFL competition. Rubber stamping the Executive all of whom seem to earn bonuses - for what?
Naturally the clubs are looking after their own best interests, as is fair enough in the Covid era.

Agree about Goyder - He is almost invisible. Of course he will likely say restricted travel due to COVID. IMHO they need a genuine mix of football and non football people on the Commission. Have no idea who is what on the current Commission.

If you can name me a KPI that an executive of the AFL has failed in recently, Id be interested.Despite the opinions of malcontents in the media and in social media the facts are that pre covid, more people were attending, more people were watching and more people were playing - and I mean actual club numbers, as well as the participation stuff. More sponsorship, more money in the game than ever before and more people involved.

What exactly do you expect the executive to be doing?

If you can name me a KPI that an executive of the AFL has failed in recently, Id be interested.
Despite the opinions of malcontents in the media and in social media the facts are that pre covid, more people were attending, more people were watching and more people were playing - and I mean actual club numbers, as well as the participation stuff. More sponsorship, more money in the game than ever before and more people involved.

What exactly do you expect the executive to be doing?

I'd say the ongoing fiddle with the rules is a good example of the problems I see. They go to the Commission.
The reasons the clubs are fractious are more about the way clubs are treated.

The second tier in Vic is a fail to me, but I understand that will be denied by many.

I'd say the ongoing fiddle with the rules is a good example of the problems I see. They go to the Commission.

They go to the Commision via the Competition Committee though. And theres a few explayers and club officials on that

Colin CarterGeelong Cats
Eddie McGuireCollingwood
Peggy O’NealRichmond
Andrew IrelandSydney Swans
Andrew FaganAdelaide Crows
Justin ReevesHawthorn
Chris FaganBrisbane Lions
Chris DaviesPort Adelaide
Craig VozzoWest Coast Eagles
Patrick DangerfieldAFLPA President / Geelong Cats
Stephen ConiglioGWS Giants
Brett MurphyGeneral Manager Player and Stakeholder Relations
Steve Hocking (chair)General Manager - Football Operations
Jason BallAFL Commissioner
Nicole LivingstoneAFLW Head of Football
Kylie RogersGeneral Manager - Commercial
Rob AuldHead of Competition Management
Brad ScottCompetition Evolution Manager.

They go to the Commision via the Competition Committee though. And theres a few explayers and club officials on that

Colin CarterGeelong Cats
Eddie McGuireCollingwood
Peggy O’NealRichmond
Andrew IrelandSydney Swans
Andrew FaganAdelaide Crows
Justin ReevesHawthorn
Chris FaganBrisbane Lions
Chris DaviesPort Adelaide
Craig VozzoWest Coast Eagles
Patrick DangerfieldAFLPA President / Geelong Cats
Stephen ConiglioGWS Giants
Brett MurphyGeneral Manager Player and Stakeholder Relations
Steve Hocking (chair)General Manager - Football Operations
Jason BallAFL Commissioner
Nicole LivingstoneAFLW Head of Football
Kylie RogersGeneral Manager - Commercial
Rob AuldHead of Competition Management
Brad ScottCompetition Evolution Manager.

The Commission is effectively rubber stamping the executive as I see it. The Clubs, as per Caro's article are fractious for good reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The clubs are the same self interested bunch of clowns they have always been.
Nailed it - the core charter of the AFL Commission, as the 'Keeper of the Code' is to promote and increase participation in, and the support of, the game of Australian Football - not just to look after the narrow self-interest of a bunch of professional clubs at the elite level.

Nailed it - the core charter of the AFL Commission, as the 'Keeper of the Code' is to promote and increase participation in, and the support of, the game of Australian Football - not just to look after the narrow self-interest of a bunch of professional clubs at the elite level.

& the Commission itself, not the executive as I see it.

Suggestions an AFL employee is to be parachuted into Vic Parliament to replace the retired Health Minister.
IF the dissent claimed is genuine I'd suggest the non Vic clubs will be revisiting the 'behind closed doors' negotiations that delivered the GF deal to Vic.

What a bore

If someone influential at the AFL has been promised a spot in parliament as part of negotiations involving the MCG contract then that's blatant corruption.

If what Kwality says is true then at the very least that's grounds for a genuine independent investigation.

I would think the only person drawing a connection between someone filling a vacant upper house seat happening to work for an AFL related entity and the MCG contract negotiaions from a few years ago is Kwality

If someone influential at the AFL has been promised a spot in parliament as part of negotiations involving the MCG contract then that's blatant corruption.

If what Kwality says is true then at the very least that's grounds for a genuine independent investigation.

If correct, its whether the decision was influenced, a governance issue.

Well, they haven't. She doesn't even work for the AFL. This is the nominated person:

1601882529938.png

Chair of AFL SportsReady is Justin Madden - there's your link.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back