NFL Carolina is On the Clock. Who's Going #1?

Remove this Banner Ad

DB10

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts NFL Draft Comp Participant NFL Mock Draft Participant
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens & Chicago Bulls
Even though this off season totally sucks balls, the draft is in 16 days. :)

Who do you think is going #1?

I think I'll take a punt and say Von Willer?
I think they'll go for a DE to get the next Peppers
But Newton does seem likely right now. Eh, he's a project player, just like JaMarcus Russell :D:p;)

All the latest news seems to point to Cam Newton.

They've been down to Newton's JUCO twice in the last week to find out what he was like in that year b/w UF and Auburn (as per Peter King) and they've asked for more game film from that year too.

I think the fact that QB is the most important position, the rest of the NFC South are set at QB for the next 5 years and Clausen was hopeless and is apparently not very likeable all add up to Newton.

I think Cam Newton is going to be the #1 pick. Whether or not it'll be the Panthers selecting him is up for debate. I think Carolina likes Newton, but not so much so that they wouldn't turn down a good offer if it came on the table.

Maybe it'll be the Bills, maybe it'll be the Cardinals. I hear the Dolphins absolutely love Cam Newton, but they're so far back in the draft that I don't think Carolina would be interested.

Personally I like Cam Newton. Unlike most mobile QB's that have come out in the past, Newton is amazingly accurate. His speed, strength, and arm may be better than any starting QB currently in the NFL. The only issue with him is that I'm skeptical of his ability to be able to learn a pro-style offense. That's why the Wonderlic Test is important, so you won't have a Vince Young or Akili Smith under center.

Interesting article about wonderlic in this weeks espn magazine, it basically says that it doesn't help increase a qb's decision in the pocket and there was little to no correlation, statistics wise a high result on woderlic led to slightly worse statistics. Personally I think it is kind of important in a qb particularly in recognising D and visualising a play before the snap, but after i don't know if the two have any correlation.

I went Marcell Dareus

The reason I picked Darues is that he is the best Defensive lineman in the draft. Ron Rivera is a defensive minded coach and the Panthers have holes all over the field, so I predict they start with the best player available and upgrade that Defense for immediate dividends.

I think its will be a risk picking newton at 1.

I went Marcell Dareus

The reason I picked Darues is that he is the best Defensive lineman in the draft. Ron Rivera is a defensive minded coach and the Panthers have holes all over the field, so I predict they start with the best player available and upgrade that Defense for immediate dividends.

I think its will be a risk picking newton at 1.
Quite a few of the recent defensive minded HCs have gone offense in the 1st round though.

Highly doubt Newton goes pick 1. Surely people are still gun shy after the Jamarcus debacle!!
That's why I think the Panthers might trade down to pick 3-5 or something, get more picks later in the draft, and not have all the media attention if one of the numerous project QB's bust like JaMarcus
Quite a few of the recent defensive minded HCs have gone offense in the 1st round though.
Teams have seen the Pats-Colts mould of the 2000s
Build a team around a QB, keep him safe, and any good QB can win you games.
So even defensive coaches are going with this now. Example - Mike Smith getting Matt Ryan.

That's why I think the Panthers might trade down to pick 3-5 or something, get more picks later in the draft, and not have all the media attention if one of the numerous project QB's bust like JaMarcus

I would be surprised if anyone would trade up to 1 with them though. Is anyone that outstanding, or so much in need of a player that they would trade up to 1 (and the associated costs) to get them? Tough to trade out of pick 1 I reckon.

If i were Cleveland and I had the oppurtunity to I reckon I would do it, its time they stood up. They need AJ Green. They cant risk the bengals swooping on him.

Lock in the stud receiver with your young promising quarterback, and with Hillis and the solid depth of receivers the browns have, all of a sudden its a promising offense for the future.

Im aware they still have defensive holes and if they stay at 6 they could still help their team alot by drafting a Robert Quinn or Von Miller, but they could pick up some solid available pass rushers in the second round so i think its worth trading up..

The browns need AJ Green, and should trade up to get him..

If anyone trades up to number 1, I think Cleveland could take the risk.

I know a lot of people dont like the idea of a wide receiver going pick 1, especially with the rookie scale not being in yet. But hey, if it gets you a player who improves your team like Green would in Cleveland, they should go for it.

It's just not the price of the number one pick that affects teams trading up, it's what teams expect to be offered for the number one pick. Panthers would want Cleveland's first and second rounders for their own first rounder probably hence preventing a trade.

That said, Cam Newton is pretty much a Panther at this point. Dareus is no Suh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just not the price of the number one pick that affects teams trading up, it's what teams expect to be offered for the number one pick. Panthers would want Cleveland's first and second rounders for their own first rounder probably hence preventing a trade.

That said, Cam Newton is pretty much a Panther at this point. Dareus is no Suh.
According to (the admittedly outdated and frequently never used) draft pick Trade Value Chart, Cleveland's 1st and 2nd rounders wouldnt be enough. It'd have to be something more like #6 and their 2012 1st

I would be shocked if they don't go QB with the No1 pick therefore Newton is a monty IMO.

I would be happy if they don't. :)

The NFCS is the ideal division for a rookie QB. No monster D's. Most games played in conditions that suit QB's. The Panthers need a QB more than most here need a root.

Can't see why they wouldn't want the pick of the QB class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back