Teams Carolina Panthers - Cardiac Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Ex-Jets C Ryan Kalil believes new Panthers QB Sam Darnold did not have enough freedom playing under ex-Jets coach Adam Gase.
Kalil, who is now retired, was one of Darnold's centers in 2019. “It was a system that didn’t allow a lot of individual freedom. It was very, ‘You do it this way and that’s it,’” Kalil said. “A lot of the scheme was pre-determined (plays) based on what they thought they were seeing from the sideline. It didn’t give Sam a lot of room to grow, in my opinion, to make decisions on the fly. ... It wasn’t a system that allowed him to evolve and make decisions on his own. ... And I think that’s why ultimately the Jets made some (coaching) changes, too.” It's a charitable reading of Darnold's struggles in New York, as Gase was not the coach for Darnold's rough rookie year in 2018. Darnold showed modest improvement under Gase in 2019 before going off the rails in 2020. Something that is not up for debate is that Panthers OC Joe Brady will be by far the best coach to ever call plays for Darnold. The quarterback's supporting cast is also better than any he had in the Big Apple. 2021 is now or never for the former No. 3 overall pick.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Apr 15, 2021, 5:59 PM ET

Whats everyones hopes for draft day?
Personally im taking pitts first up if hes there (unlikely i know).
If not id be looking at sewell (also unlikely hes there) and slater.
I don’t understand the talk around trading back or going after one of the qbs or jamar chase.
Already have plenty of weapons at wr.
We need to give darnold the best opportunity possible with some high end talent on the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to melt hard if we draft a qb friday.

I'm 99.999979% sure we aren't drafting a QB , just trying to make it appear we are still interested in one so teams will trade ahead of us to take one so players we like slide further down the order

Patriots reportedly wanting to move into the top ten with a deal us that involves stephon gilmore.
Hed improve us straight away but hes pushing 30 now, does hefit our timeline?

I didn't see enough of him last year to know , can't hurt having a vet and (at least former) star corner though. Bouye and Gilmore would be one of the best corner duos the Panthers have had on paper.

Would be very happy with a trade down with the Pats, netting us an extra first next year hopefully, and then drafting Slater or Horn.

If we stay put at 8: Pitts or Sewell falling to us would be ideal.

There’s going to be a lot of “what could’ve been” if we pass on Fields at 8, though.

Would be very happy with a trade down with the Pats, netting us an extra first next year hopefully, and then drafting Slater or Horn.

If we stay put at 8: Pitts or Sewell falling to us would be ideal.

There’s going to be a lot of “what could’ve been” if we pass on Fields at 8, though.

Would be absolutely *ed to draft a QB inside the first 3 rounds after we just traded some half decent picks for one

After it was apparent Zach Wilson wasn't going to be available, JayCee was the player I first showed some genuine interest in, funny how things work out.

Jan 21:

Any thoughts on Jaycee Horn EFL Boy ? I've only started having a look at cornerbacks and geez he jumps off the screen at me.

Plenty of players there to address oline in round 2 still. Jenkins the one I've got my eye on most. Would be absolutely stoked with our first two picks if we nab him.

Plenty of players there to address oline in round 2 still. Jenkins the one I've got my eye on most. Would be absolutely stoked with our first two picks if we nab him.
Would be stoked with jenkins also, surprised he hasnt been snapped up yet.

Admittedly I flew off the deep end several times this morning when we traded back and twice and took a reciever, had visions of Fitterer doing a Schnider and neglecting the Oline like they do in Seattle.

Then bam, we take tackle in round 3 with Christiansen making the pick of Terrace Marshall look much better.

Just of note , we traded back to one spot in front of the Saints in round 2 and took a WR....coincidence? I think not. 😂👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back