Teams Carolina Panthers - Cardiac Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Panthers selected Auburn DT Derrick Brown with the No. 7 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.
Brown (6’5/326) was a former top-10 high school recruit and three-year starting defensive tackle at Auburn. He had at least 9.5 TFLs and 3.0 sacks in all three of his seasons as a starter and was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year as a senior after posting 11.5 TFLs and 4.0 sacks. His combination of burst and strength at the snap forced opponents into using double teams on Brown, who primarily lined up at nose tackle and three-technique in college. He looked more athletic on tape than what his 45th percentile Adjusted SPARQ score would indicate, but it’s fair to question how disruptive he will be as a pass-rusher for a highly-drafted defensive tackle. Still, Brown offers Pro Bowl upside at multiple positions across the defensive line and should at least be one the better interior run stoppers immediately. He'll start immediately given the losses of Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe in free agency, but the Panthers undoubtedly need to add much more over the next few days on defense.
Apr 23, 2020, 9:11 PM ET

Having said that, I do like the Chinn pick. Talk about a guy who pops out at you when watching his highlights. The boy has got some wheels and hits hard.

Hopefully works out a bit better than Gaulden did. xD

Already absolutely love Teddy, great personality.... Hope the fanbase gives him a chance.

Great guy, short of completely lighting it up though, do you see that happening?

Great guy, short of completely lighting it up though, do you see that happening?

Let's just hope Joe Brady is as good as advertised and Teddy does. Would love to see him shut all these so called Panther fans up.

Well, well, well...

The Athletic's Joe Person was informed Panthers coach Matt Rhule was "open and eager" to trade out of the No. 7 overall pick that was eventually used on DT Derrick Brown.
"He wanted to add a couple more picks, maybe find a sweet spot in the teens somewhere, and that Marty (Hurney) said Derrick Brown is our guy. We aren't moving," Person told WFNZ. The message doesn't come off as prickly or a sign of dissension, but it does read as the top 10 selection not being a unanimous decision. It is still difficult to understand who is making what personnel calls inside of the Panthers building, but that's expected with a new coach on the job for only a few months in an offseason that has been turned on its head. The Rhule - Hurney dynamic is one to watch this season, especially if the Panthers wind up in the bottom of the NFC South.
SOURCE: WFNZ Radio
May 4, 2020, 3:46 PM ET

Say what you want about Hurney but he nails first round picks, I think there has only ever been one he's missed on (Jeff Otah) and he didn't work out only because of injury.

I would have liked to trade back too, but with his record I'm confident Brown will become a very good player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love derrick brown too

Just interesting that a) rhule didnt want simmons either, given they were both on the board...he probably wanted a wr and b) that someone put this story out to effectively create a potential rift between hc and gm should the pick go pear shaped

Rhule said the first port of call this off-season was fixing the defense. So Im pretty sure he was keen on the way the draft went. We definitely didn't need WRs, at least on face value. TEs we did, but there weren't many good ones available.

I know for certain Rhule had a massive say in both second round picks. Gross-Matos, and Jeremy Chinn (who he became very interested in after watching him at the senior bowl.) ...with his recent college back ground and lack of investigating gms could do themselves this offseason I wouldn't be surprised if he had a say in whole heap of the picks.

Typical beat writer beat up for clicks me thinks.

Say what you want about Hurney but he nails first round picks, I think there has only ever been one he's missed on (Jeff Otah) and he didn't work out only because of injury.

I would have liked to trade back too, but with his record I'm confident Brown will become a very good player for us.

I like the Brown pick but I'd still have moved back if the opportunity was there. We know Hurney nails the first round picks but we need his later picks to be starters if this rebuild is going to happen quickly

Sick, I've edited it down to a smaller version (and ****ed around with the colors a bit) to make it my avatar 😍😍😍

e27aaa94032843.5e78e8d957f32.jpg

Retired LB Luke Kuechly is considering joining the Panthers front office as a pro scout.
Kuechly retired in January, but head coach Matt Rhule made it a point to tell the former captain the door is open for him to remain around the team. The easy comparison for Kuechly is Dan Morgan, another former Panther who transitioned into a scouting role and has now worked his way up to be the Director of Player Personnel for the Bills.
SOURCE: Panthers.com
Jun 3, 2020, 9:34 AM ET

Remove this Banner Ad

Back