Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
New Panthers owner David Tepper encouraging coaches to embrace analytics
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 14, 2018, 10:47 AM EDT
gettyimages-10183527901-e1536936418756.jpg

Getty Images

New Panthers owner David Tepper has told his coaching staff he wants a forward-thinking approach to the game, which includes a focus on analytics.

Tepper noted that the Panthers called more passes on first down in Week One than they typically did in past years, and he said analytics had shown that’s a wise approach.

“Those first-down passes,” Tepper told Panthers.com. “I’m real focused on analytics, and we hadn’t really done that before. I loved the mix of plays. The first down passing was a new look for this team.”

Some of the most successful owners in the NFL, including New England’s Robert Kraft and Philadelphia’s Jeffrey Lurie, have said they attribute much of their teams’ success to a focus on analytics. Tepper said he expects his football people to follow that lead.

“You have to incorporate modern ideas,” Tepper said. “I just want to make sure analytics are applied. I don’t want human biases to alter what we think is correct or not correct. There is an openness to it here, which is good. I want a tough mentality, I like grittiness, but this is a new age.”

The Panthers are off to a 1-0 start in the new age that Tepper is bringing in. Tepper knows one game is far too small a sample size to draw any big conclusions, but he’s pleased with what he’s seeing so far.

Wouldn't have mattered. I predicted during the AFL pre-season the Dees would win the flag.

Dont tell me that now, we are 2 wins away. Went to the game tonight, atmosphere was amazing, got completely Larkis/LA'd.. markers mark bottle nearing the end, time for bed but so pumped about the Dees.

Something about this fend off that gets me excited. We've gotta make DJ our number 1 WR now!!

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Very early days Steve Smith like.

Thought he could have made the catch in the end zone at the end of the game in between two defenders, would have been epic.

Spanish radio still #1 but this is good..

Still shaking my head at that, two yards off the NFL record, not even in the high altitude of Denver or anything either, and he had another 7 yards to spare. What an amazing kick.

I was reading the reactions of the special teams players, Palardy (the holder for those unaware) " i knew it was good the moment he hit it, the feel of the ball and the sound off Graham's boot was a clean as I've ever felt it"

He wasn't just saying that, in the vision you see Palardy go up with his arms raised well before anyone does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant be me, I've been wearing my full Gano Panthers kit (not my Steve Smith one) to the gym all week long.

Nice of you to lend him your shoes though.

Nice of you to lend him your shoes though.

Pfff, I've you're going to dress in a full kit, make it a FULL kit. Ive been wearing cleats with mine. What an amateur.

A couple of tidbits i heard:

Panthers have the equal best current home winning streak in the NFL (with NE) on 9

Christian McCaffery now has the most receptions by a running back in Carolina Panthers history, surpassing both DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart this past weekend against Baltimore. Took him a whole season and 7 weeks lol

Just got done watching the replay last night, so happy i stayed away from the scores for a day to watch that....Offense & Defense: Shitting the bed done properly on a Thursday night. Unbelievable how bad we were.

CMac played a hell of a game in the carnage.

OLine got absolutely shredded, figured it would at some stage being manned by no names and rejects but not against Pittsburgh.

Our pass rush is huge worry. Its still Addison, Peppers or bust. Need some youth to step up.

Last edited:
Just got done watching the replay last night, so happy i stayed away from the scores for a day to watch that....Offense & Defense: Shitting the bed done properly on a Thursday night. Unbelievable how bad we were.

CMac played a hell of a game in the carnage.

OLine got absolutely shredded, figured it would at some stage being manned by no names and rejects but not against Pittsburgh.

Our pass rush is huge worry. Its still Addison, Peppers or bust. Need some youth to step up.

Lots of work to do in drafting a pass rush and an offensive line next season. Cutting the Kalil contracts out of our salary cap could help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back