Caroline Wilson uses Andrew Olle Media Lecture to put spotlight on sexism in sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. Her continued attack on James Hird was the lowest form of journalism. And when she wrote that orgasmic front page headline that Hird had been sacked, and then realised she'd ****** up, was a moment to relish.
She liked to give it out, but sure cried hell when it bounced back.
Except she won the highest award in journalism in this country for this very thing. Unless you know what journalism is, don’t comment on it.

It also shows how insular even those big cities can be. The AFL is covered by a generally sycophantic media. CW not only put up with the sexism of the time, but has tried to do journalism when most of the media were just AFL toadies who were more interested in sucking up to the VFL/AFL with the usual positive fluff pieces.

Its a compliant media which lets does a disservice to the public. Its applicable to Politics, Churches, Cricket Australia & the AFL etc etc.

So whether you like CW or not, she pulls no punches. Its what footy & other organisations need. It keeps them on the straight & narrow.

Power corrupts & absolute power----. Thats why we need a fearless Fourth Estate. Keeping the 'professionalism' in the game & avoiding the destructive elements of the boys club taking over.

Tried to do journalism?

Didnt try very hard. She writes a mix of gossip pieces and attack pieces against people wo have slighted her over the years.

Is anyone able to point to a defining and game changing article by her? Maybe where she broke a big story? Or described a game brilliantly?

This post has been edited - forgot for a moment that criticism of females in any form is sexism.
it wasn't a criticism that was removed, it was a sexist insult

As much as I don't like Caro, I've worked in enough factories to know what it must be like for a women to work in a male dominated industry. I'm sure it's a lot easier now relative to the old days, but I still see a lot of crass behaviour all to try and get a cheap laugh from the boyz.

As much as I don't like Caro, I've worked in enough factories to know what it must be like for a women to work in a male dominated industry. I'm sure it's a lot easier now relative to the old days, but I still see a lot of crass behaviour all to try and get a cheap laugh from the boyz.

Theirs always AFL pundits we don't like. CW presses a few peoples buttons. Its either that of just a flow of puff pieces which tell us nothing.

The AFL have had a lot skeletons in the closet. The 'boyz' club would hardly ever ask the real questions. Their to close to the gravy train.

CW is part of a group of proper journalists who 'keep the bastards honest'. The Public deserve to see the truth & the AFL need some sunlight shone in the dark places. Sunlight is a cleansing disinfectant.

As said we need a brave & fearless fourth estate. Our Democracy & corporate bodies need it to keep healthy & focused. We need it, like it all or not!

Theirs always AFL pundits we don't like. CW presses a few peoples buttons. Its either that of just a flow of puff pieces which tell us nothing.

The AFL have had a lot skeletons in the closet. The 'boyz' club would hardly ever ask the real questions. They're to close to the gravy train.

CW is part of a group of proper journalists who 'keep the bastards honest'. The Public deserve to see the truth & the AFL need some sunlight shone in the dark places. Sunlight is a cleansing disinfectant.

As said we need a brave & fearless fourth estate. Our Democracy & corporate bodies need it to keep healthy & focused. We need it, like it all or not!

I remember an interview with Dixie Marshall years ago where she said they would deliberately nude up as soon as she went into the rooms.

The AFL have had a lot skeletons in the closet. The 'boyz' club would hardly ever ask the real questions. They're to close to the gravy train.

The irony here is CW's best material was always fed directly to her by head office. Once Demetriou left the building the gentle decline to Old Woman Yelling at Cloud began.

Was Andrew Olle related to Sarah Olle who seemingly came from absolutely nowhere, to suddenly writing every Aussie Rules article on Fox Sports and being on the AFL's facebook streams?

I met her sister once. They are minted. Wonder if the old journo is part of it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm of the belief that the worst thing a woman in power can do, is complain about how hard it is for women to get into power.

It's not empowering at all, and completely undermines their own achievement.

She should be using herself as an example and explaining HOW she managed to push through the male dominance into a position of power.

It's an insecure world we now live in. Everyone wants to be a victim of something, anything.
Lack of self confidence, low self esteem, and pride for sale.
The weak and insecure are consumed by it and spread it like a disease on social media.
It is what it is.

Tried to do journalism?

Didnt try very hard. She writes a mix of gossip pieces and attack pieces against people wo have slighted her over the years.

Is anyone able to point to a defining and game changing article by her? Maybe where she broke a big story? Or described a game brilliantly?

She's not a footy journo, she's a footy industry journo.

She writes about stuff like the hiring process that brought Gary Pert to Melbourne, and the 'friction' between Glen Bartlett and Peter Jackson. And they responded by uninviting her to their GF function.

I've no doubt that many people still don't take her seriously because she's a woman but plenty of people just don't appreciate her style of 'The Age believes...' journalism.

I'm of the belief that the worst thing a woman in power can do, is complain about how hard it is for women to get into power.

It's not empowering at all, and completely undermines their own achievement.

She should be using herself as an example and explaining HOW she managed to push through the male dominance into a position of power.
heaven forbid someone with experience and in a position to shine a light on bar behaviour speak up to try and help change a toxic culture for those that can't speak up

No tell them to suck it up like she did

She's not a footy journo, she's a footy industry journo.

She writes about stuff like the hiring process that brought Gary Pert to Melbourne, and the 'friction' between Glen Bartlett and Peter Jackson. And they responded by uninviting her to their GF function.

I've no doubt that many people still don't take her seriously because she's a woman but plenty of people just don't appreciate her style of 'The Age believes...' journalism.

She's in a no-win situation there. If she wrote "I believe..." instead of "The Age believes...", they'd have a go because it's all about her.

She's in a no-win situation there. If she wrote "I believe..." instead of "The Age believes...", they'd have a go because it's all about her.

She's dug her own hole there by virtue of what she choose to report on. Hearsay, speculation, 'thources', fiction... if you report an incorrect fact, you get castigated. If you speculate on alleged internal rifts etc. you don't face the same scrutiny. Actual footy journos do it all the time, too. Especially around trade week.

She's an opinion piece writer and good for her, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I remember an interview with Dixie Marshall years ago where she said they would deliberately nude up as soon as she went into the rooms.
Yeah v common and nothing unusual.
As a kid i was on my old man's shoulders in the Arden St rooms after a win as a few players were lined up behind a female reporter, arms behind their heads playing helicopters having a laugh. Couple of decades later i told him i had a vague memory of something and he just laughed and said it was Sam K Arnold B and someone else he couldnt remember.
I dont think the female reporters expected professionalism in changerooms during celebrations. Common for them to be right in amongst it in the changerooms way back then. They must have expected at least some fun and games.
Were far less conservative times though. The last 20-30yrs noooding up is now some sort of a major criminal offence, along with just about every other form of stupid fun.
Not unusual for players to deliberately do an interview in the nick with a female reporter. These days it would be labelled rape and your papers stamped.

Last edited:
She has polarising opinions which of themselves cause people to turn off her. If gender is the sole reason or one of the reasons that results in her being criticised or treated adversely then fair enough, that’s a valid gripe and there would be dinosaurs in the industry that carry a gender bias attitude. But she also certainly says and writes some really stupid $hit - as do a raft of male “journos” - that makes her (and them) easy hate fodder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back