Moved Thread Caroline Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Her stuff is about football, but it's only peripherally about football.

1. She is a gossip monger, the original Gossip Girl.

2. She sources her articles from disgruntled people at football clubs.

3. She rehashes old material. She must have a huge "Saved" folder, as she cuts & pastes all her old stuff into any "new" article.

4. She has never written anything about the game itself, and I suspect that she knows very little about footy. She is only concerned with the "political" aspects of the clubs.

5. Her articles would fit in well with a tabloid newspaper or a gossip magazine. It is embarrassing to find them in The Age, but then it is a long time since The Age was a quallity newspaper.

She uses good English and this causes many people to assume that she knows what she is doing - don't be fooled, she just writes a load of rubbish.

I'm not saying she hasn't written a fair bit of s**t in her time - she has, absolutely, 'chicken gate' was one - but I still think she makes a lot of valid points that no-one else wants to.

Sponsors.
The end.

Sponsors love characters, the media love to cut characters down, therefore sponsors will shy away.

She won't be flat out specific becuase she would be sued and the paper wouldn't let her be specific without proof anyway but she was clear in her insuations regarding drugs. She has danced a lot more around Martin.

And danced even more around Fisher.

She didnt elaborate on the details of anybody's alleged off field exploits. She danced around the topic for all three players she mentioned.

I cant go with your Caro Richmond bias conspiracy on this occasion. i just cant see it.

2. She sources her articles from disgruntled people at football clubs.

Usually a pretty good source of information. Sycophants who toe the company line probably don't have much value to journos.

4. She has never written anything about the game itself, and I suspect that she knows very little about footy. She is only concerned with the "political" aspects of the clubs.

Who says she has to write about the game itself? They have other people that do this.

No different to political commentators, some journos handle the party politics, some do the parliamentary proceedings, some do the policy process...

She uses good English and this causes many people to assume that she knows what she is doing

That is an insanely condescending (and broad) assumption.

Who says she has to write about the game itself? They have other people that do this.

No different to political commentators, some journos handle the party politics, some do the parliamentary proceedings, some do the policy process...

Yep, I'd also like to be "Chief Football Writer" and know nothing about football - the title hides her ignorance.

Chief Gossip Writer is more accurate!

Yep, I'd also like to be "Chief Football Writer" and know nothing about football - the title hides her ignorance.

Chief Gossip Writer is more accurate!

Caroline Wilson's role isn't really to comment on on-field matters. Wouldn't surprise me if she knew little about tactics, skills, fitness, etc. The Age has other journalists for that aspect of the game.

Chief Football Writer is a meaningless title. It doesn't make their articles any better or more valid than other journalists.
Look at the fool the Herald Sun anointed as their chief football writer...

Chief Football Writer is a meaningless title. It doesn't make their articles any better or more valid than other journalists.
Look at the fool the Herald Sun anointed as their chief football writer...

Or listen to how he described how his position changes with the new title (as always, in his Winny Red-lubricated voice): "Oh, yeah, you know...not much really. It's like...(pauses for a good eight seconds)...I don't want to say it's the captain, but it's like the captain: setting the example. I was talking to Hirdy the other day and asked him what it was like when he was made the captain of the Dons and he said when you become captain, it has a lot to do with leadership. And I thought: 'That's a great word: leadership.' Yeah/nah."

That isn't word-for-word what he said, but I don't think many can doubt that it's an unmistakeable Robbo sentence.

Or listen to how he described how his position changes with the new title (as always, in his Winny Red-lubricated voice): "Oh, yeah, you know...not much really. It's like...(pauses for a good eight seconds)...I don't want to say it's the captain, but it's like the captain: setting the example. I was talking to Hirdy the other day and asked him what it was like when he was made the captain of the Dons and he said when you become captain, it has a lot to do with leadership. And I thought: 'That's a great word: leadership.' Yeah/nah."

That isn't word-for-word what he said, but I don't think many can doubt that it's an unmistakeable Robbo sentence.

Certainly got the right level of incoherent gibberish.

No person respected, or in a position of high regard AT A CLUB, would tell her anything. I'm speculating, surmising, guessing blindly..... that she gets her info from whatever seedy source she can. If people want quality football interaction/time they'll get involved at a club as a supporter/coach/participant/member, not read tabloid print garbage. Wonder if she is related to Rebecca Wilson and Michealangelo Rucci. Keep bringing the lolz.

No person respected, or in a position of high regard AT A CLUB, would tell her anything.
Absolute rubbish.

Wonder if she is related to Rebecca Wilson and Michealangelo Rucci. Keep bringing the lolz.
No, but Jim Wilson (former 7 sports reporter, dunno where he is now) is Rebecca's brother. She's also married to the head (or 2IC?) of News corp... talk about press impartiality...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute rubbish.

No, but Jim Wilson (former 7 sports reporter, dunno where he is now) is Rebecca's brother. She's also married to the head (or 2IC?) of News corp... talk about press impartiality...

Well informed slattery (applause). On evident talent, the old "not what you know but who you know" certainly rings true. So, who (respected/power all that) from an AFL club if not the AFL, keeps her informed? aside from what the media relations gurus are permitted to tell? Care to elaborate?? At least we can now say with more certainty that the Wilson name is synonymous with vitriolic tabloid garbage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back