Moved Thread Caroline Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Shes not accountable for anything she writes.

Furthermore, she knows absolutely nothing about football,
how she gets a gig is beyond me - but we all know someone I guess.

Watching her on Footy Classifies is just a joke.

Whoever employs Caro has about as much idea as she has.

Hopefully soon we get a female journo who is in it for the love of the game - and not her ego.

Emma Quayle just a typist is she?

What a pathetic remark

She was writing negative articles about Richmond all the time a few years ago. Eased up a bit since 2011.

Negative meaning "true" I take it.

Caro goes in hard, as she should, and she gets it right. If you publish a story under a 48 pt headline on the back page of the Age, and it's wrong, everyone's going to know about it.

The classic was Buckley's response to the Dane Swan story. Instead of denying it he said 'why didn't you call me?'

Of course if Caro were a bloke she wouldn't cop anywhere the personal abuse that she gets.

But it's her job to write critical stories about clubs screwing up off-field. If your idea of good footy journalism is Sheahan's Top 50, or 'Is Buddy better than Cloke?' good luck to you. Those who can't understand what Wilson does and how important it is, find a minor sport to follow.

For those think 'off-field' affairs don't matter, the best on-field clubs are also the best off the field, eg, Collingwood, Geelong. (To be fair to the Tigers, they look like a professional outfit these days but I doubt they would've been called that five years ago.)

Caro was the first journalist to report on the "Tippett for a 2nd rounder" clause, back in 2011..

Massive respect to her as a genuine investigative reporter, as opposed to the hacks in the South Australian media who trawl out "it is understood" sourceless puff pieces while Victorian journos break real scoops in their own backyard.

Everyone loves the human interest stories that Quayle and others get to write and no doubt they do a good job. Caroline Wilson has a much tougher gig, because she makes a lot more enemies. Nature of her job. I wonder why we get about a thread a week about how pathetic Wilson is on the main board and yet I have never seen a thread on the main board slamming the buffoon who has taken on the chief football writing gig at the Herald-Sun. I wonder why that is? FFS...forget football knowledge, he can barely write! Wilson knows about the off-field machinations as well as anyone. She writes about what she knows. And she's good at it.

A moderator should clean up a couple of the posts in this thread.

Anyway this forum is a pretty funny place. Almost everytime I browse here I see at least one case of either Demetriou or CW getting bagged out. Its a very common occurence. And yet the two recent instances where a thread has been made and dedicated to talking about these people, the OPs of both threads have been demolished. It makes no sense. I think people just enjoy contradicting the OP.

For what its worth I think CW is fine. I don't really care about journalists really but I enjoy listening to her on footy classified.

I think Caro is a very good journalist in some ways, but it's unfortunate she seems to be such a hateful writer in general. She only ever focuses on negative aspects of football, and seems to love kicking clubs when they're down (re: North). She's obviously a very intelligent lady, but I really just despise reading her work because of how unbelievably bitter and venomous it usually is.
l used to like her but she just turned into a muckraker, only writes negative things, nothing positive unless its about Richmond,

I swear footy fans generally only have 6 month memories. Caro has stuck the boot into Richmond quite a few times, especially in regards to Ben Cousins. But so often I read 'Caro' never gets stuck in to the tigers. Well she does, has and probably will again.

The reason the flogs don't recall them is because Richmond have improved their affairs out of sight, and said flogs like the OP, have the memory of a boobtube wearing goldfish!

Emma Quayle is far and away the best journo in footy. Used to be Martin Flanagan.

Caro, on the other hand. She'll take something and then twist it to suit her own agenda. Take 'The Vault' reference from the Melbourne tanking articles. The Vault is actually known among Dees supporters as the former FD meeting room at Junction Oval - it was a nickname given to it by the FD. Caro didn't bother to check any of that, instead simply drew her own conclusions.

She did it for the other big story of the last 10 years by her, that of North to the GC.

And for those of you giving her credit for the Tippett stuff, please. EQ did most of the lifting and had the first 2 or 3 articles on it anywhere in the country, then Caro seized the story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least Caro is the only journalist to ask Vlad the hard questions Pressers.

Even Robbo asks Vlad hard questions, there's no art to that.

Caro sits back and snipes Brayshaw on footy classified, then gets her a** handed to her by JB,
continues her crusade - yet then declines to go on the footy show where she'll be made accountable.

After she was done rubbishing North, she moves onto Melbourne.

She likes to kick those who are easy targets, eg. Cousins, Fev, Swan.

Anything negative will have Caro attached to it.

The reason the flogs don't recall them is because Richmond have improved their affairs out of sight, and said flogs like the OP, have the memory of a boobtube wearing goldfish!

Right - so Richmond have improved and that's why Caro doesn't write about them anymore? Wish the same philosophy applied to North! We may not have 50k membership etc but we have come along way since 2007 and she still attacks JB and the football club on a consistent basis. She just makes it up as she goes along.

/end rant
/leave thread before the Caro's North hating brigade arrives

Caro sits back and snipes Brayshaw on footy classified, then gets her a** handed to her by JB,
continues her crusade - yet then declines to go on the footy show where she'll be made accountable.
Who has ever been held accountable on the footy show? That show is not the place for any self respecting journalist. Particularly with Sam there. Remember the dummy incident?

Right - so Richmond have improved and that's why Caro doesn't write about them anymore? Wish the same philosophy applied to North! We may not have 50k membership etc but we have come along way since 2007 and she still attacks JB and the football club on a consistent basis. She just makes it up as she goes along.

/end rant
/leave thread before the Caro's North hating brigade arrives

Problem for you guys from the cheap seats where I am, is it seems she is still getting mail from someone in the Kangas. Until the leaks stop, she continues to hound.

Used to piss me off how our club would leak all sorts of crap to her, and back then we thought the way to stop it was to give her more access to the club with weekly meetings. That worked like a kick in the head, she just linked the leaked stuff to the official stuff we told her, which made the leaks look credible.

For us its been a lot better since Wallace was deposed and Royal sent packing with him. Obviously just a coincidence, but we haven't had as many leaks since the coaching change....

I'd be over the moon if one entire thread about Caroline Wilson could be free of misogynist comments.

Give me a break.....it's nothing to do with her being a woman.

It's simply peoples opinion that she's a rubbish journalist who twist words, and states her opinions as fact with no accountability

When she's caught out in a lie, she simply writes another article and twists the words around again

There's been plenty of praise for Quayle in this thread - who's guess what? is a female

Get off your high horse

And for those of you giving her credit for the Tippett stuff, please. EQ did most of the lifting and had the first 2 or 3 articles on it anywhere in the country, then Caro seized the story.

Caro was the first journalist to report on the "Tippett for a 2nd rounder" clause, back in 2011..

I'm just not that interested in negative, tabloid type articles.

Do we get bland, re-jigged press releases due to Caro types jumping all over anyone who speaks their mind or says something other than the norm?
IMO, because journo's are waiting for their next big article where they can preach a set of morals that they attach themselves to for the sake of getting to print.

Go back to the "chicken gate" scandal, I thought the video was quite funny, but no, the media blew it up to get the headlines.

Clearly people read and enjoy her work, whereas I actively avoid it.
I'm not saying she hasn't written a fair bit of s**t in her time - she has, absolutely, 'chicken gate' was one - but I still think she makes a lot of valid points that no-one else wants to.

Why are their very few characters left in sport and none left in the AFL?
Sponsors.
The end.

Emma Quayle is far and away the best journo in footy. Used to be Martin Flanagan.

Emma Quayles job description is nothing like Caroline Wilsons job.

They are not comparable because they write about totally different aspects of the game. You may as well be comparing Laurie Oakes with Mike Munro. They are both journalists but in totally different fields.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back