Moved Thread Caroline Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Emma Quayles job description is nothing like Caroline Wilsons job.

They are not comparable because they write about totally different aspects of the game. You may as well be comparing Laurie Oakes with Mike Munro. They are both journalists but in totally different fields.
This is a poor analogy. They write about the same thing. Not like Mike Munro who may report on a cat lady pissing off her neighbour because they run wild and Laurie Oakes reporting on Gillard. Both have written on Tippett for starters.

They are not comparable because they write about totally different aspects of the game. You may as well be comparing Laurie Oakes with Mike Munro. They are both journalists but in totally different fields.
thank god somebody else gets this.

It's easy to everyone's favourite footy journo when you remit is to be knowledgeable about junior footballers, and Emma is outstanding. But Wilson's job is completely different, and she isn't there to make friends. Quite the opposite in fact.

I swear footy fans generally only have 6 month memories. Caro has stuck the boot into Richmond quite a few times, especially in regards to Ben Cousins. But so often I read 'Caro' never gets stuck in to the tigers. Well she does, has and probably will again.

The reason the flogs don't recall them is because Richmond have improved their affairs out of sight, and said flogs like the OP, have the memory of a boobtube wearing goldfish!
She gets stuck into clubs that don't have everyone 'on message'.
2-3 years ago that was Richmond. 1-2 years ago, Collingwood (with the Mick thing). 3-4 years ago, North (PDR still lurking in the shadows). Etc etc.

Currently it's Melbourne.

This is a poor analogy. They write about the same thing. Not like Mike Munro who may report on a cat lady pissing off her neighbour because they run wild and Laurie Oakes reporting on Gillard. Both have written on Tippett for starters.

Maybe its a bad analogy (written in a rush) but on the whole they do not write about the same thing.

Wilson does not write about the draft prospects of junior footballers. Quayle does not write about club politics.

It's easy to everyone's favourite footy journo when you remit is to be knowledgeable about junior footballers, and Emma is outstanding. But Wilson's job is completely different, and she isn't there to make friends. Quite the opposite in fact.

spot on.

Emma writes happy pieces about draftees. What recruiter/coach is gunna be paranoid talking to her, because she writes the feel good stories (as they should be BTW).

Caro however being the political writer tends to focus on what is FU at a club. Much harder to get people to talk to you with this role, because they know your agenda is to cause some trouble.

As we saw with the Tippett farce, Quayle can be a serious journo, BUT she did commit some sins that Caro gets smashed over. In her interview with 5AA, it became clear she only had one source for her info (and how often does Caro get bagged for that), and the level of her checking into the validity of that info wasn't that deep. With all the agendas at play from the Crows, the Tippett family, the manager, and prospect clubs, and even the AFL, this was what disappointed me - she should have tried to look past what she was being told and dug deeper (still not convinced the whole truth is out there).

As for the punters, of course the journo who writes "your draftee will be a champ" is going to be more popular than the one who writes "your club is a basket case"

I'm no Caro lover, and I'm not a Quayle fanboi like some here, but there are far worse footy journos. Barrett is a sleazy prick who when in doubt just makes s**t up (look at some of his articles on Gary March for that). As for Sam Lane, how the hell does she even have a job?

Caro breaks stories. Some don't turn out to be 100% correct, but she is far more in the know than just about anyone in the game. She is courageous and doesn't mind stepping on toes. In a man's world she has risen to the top. Because she lives and breathes it she does make a lot footy stuff sound way more important than it actually is, but it's big business these days.

This bloke has them both covered anyway:

snapshot20110820180810.jpg

If she didn't existed - AFL media would be boring circle jerks. She has her place in the food chain.

actually another dud - not only got scooped several times running on the single biggest SA footy story in a generation, everything he wrote about it to try and catch up with them was wrong. Gotta love the Rucc!

Rucci-5710814.jpg

I was pretty irritated at Caro's insinuations about our drug culture a few years back, and about the things that Ben Cousins did.

She was right, though.

This x 1000.

on behalf of all north fans, I hope she dies a slow death from Vaginal cancer.......
she writes lies, manipulated speculation, personal hate, and worst of all the dumb whore supports bitchmond.....go figure....

Is this you Tony Abbott?

She does carry a grudge. Only for about a decade or two. Still has it in for McGuire, who really put her in it with the GWS celtics story from 5 years ago; and still shitty at a few North people.
This is why some people don't respect her. She carries grudges into her story selection and writing.
I think she actually went out of her way a few years back to sink the boots into Richmond, possibly with a small incentive to get someone to smarten the joint up, but certainly didn't go easy.
Again, while she no doubt loves the club, her grudge was with the admin and president in particular. Previoulsy and since the Richmond negatives have been thin on the ground. The on field results are basically the same throughout but the writing is different.

More recenly she has made some reference to Dustin Martin issues but hasn't detailed them. If he played for North, Collingwood or Carlton she would have detailed these issue long ago and called for the pesident to stand down for failing to deal with them. Ben Cousins was public enemy no. 1 at WCE but a great story at Richmond notwithstanding his issues continued.

She was writing negative articles about Richmond all the time a few years ago. Eased up a bit since 2011.

perhaps it was becuause they were going poorly and making stupid decisions, especially in the draft. Likely eased up because Richmond have improved/are improving. It was likely warranted.

She can be a bit negative but isn't bad at her job. There are a LOT worse journo's out there than her. There are a lot of well known Journos that can not ask questions at a press conferenceto save themselves but she is fine at that as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is why some people don't respect her. She carries grudges into her story selection and writing.
Again, while she no doubt loves the club, her grudge was with the admin and president in particular. Previoulsy and since the Richmond negatives have been thin on the ground. The on field results are basically the same throughout but the writing is different.

More recenly she has made some reference to Dustin Martin issues but hasn't detailed them. If he played for North, Collingwood or Carlton she would have detailed these issue long ago and called for the pesident to stand down for failing to deal with them. Ben Cousins was public enemy no. 1 at WCE but a great story at Richmond notwithstanding his issues continued.

she actually changed her tone on Cousins. Was initially a fan during the start of his time with us, but afterwards started making her "concerns" known about his influence on our players. Off memory I think she even tried to connect the whole Connors/Martin thing back to his influence once.

On Martin, her writing has been very similar to Swan. Detail what is known publicly again and again, hint at something much worse, and mention the player/club is denying it. She is definitely going after Swan harder, no doubt, but its the same tactic. As I've posted elsewhere, I actually disagree with this tactic (for Swan) because she has basically labelled him a druggie, but in such a way she can say she didn't. Same with Fisher and Martin. If she has something on them, just come out and say it, or don't name names.

A moderator should clean up a couple of the posts in this thread.

Done, though little tip for you.

We don't read every post, and the best way to get out attention is the report button. Try using it.

Be nice if some of her critics weren't such hypocrites.
She was the only one who ran the "Ben Cousins in hospital" story in 2010 (and defended it to the hilt) and wrote "Ben Cousins has been warned about his alcohol issues" - the club denied it all.
A month later he & Connors got suspended for some booze incident or other.

She hasn't detailed them because (without a dossier of hard evidence) it'd be opening herself up to a libel case if she did. Same as she can't commit anything to print about Swan, Milne or anyone else suspected of being a naughty boy.

This thread has been moved from the main board following some clean up.

A word of warning: do not post misogynist, hateful rubbish or you will be carded.

Give me a break.....it's nothing to do with her being a woman.

It's simply peoples opinion that she's a rubbish journalist who twist words, and states her opinions as fact with no accountability

When she's caught out in a lie, she simply writes another article and twists the words around again

There's been plenty of praise for Quayle in this thread - who's guess what? is a female

Get off your high horse

I never said criticising her was misogynistic. THat's fine...what I was complaining about was how every thread contains a number of idiots talking about how ugly she is, how she is 'getting wet' for something, how she is frustrated from not getting a root, etc, etc.

I never said criticising her was misogynistic. THat's fine...what I was complaining about was how every thread contains a number of idiots talking about how ugly she is, how she is 'getting wet' for something, how she is frustrated from not getting a root, etc, etc.

At the time you wrote your first comment....there had been ONE comment. ONE comment that she got wet for something.

If it was about a male journo, someone may've said "got a hard on for it"

Your comment was so out of place

Most of the posts were supporting her, those criticising explained why without resorting to misogynisitc comments

It's comments like yours that even make it an issue in the first place

To be fair she didnt detail Swans issues or Fishers either.

Exactly. It's sexist and highly offensive.

Even Robbo asks Vlad hard questions, there's no art to that.

If it's so easy then, why do journos not ask Vlad anything off-script? I admired Caro's approach in that presser because she pointed out the bleeding obvious and looked for an answer. Every other journo in the room was looking down and polishing their pretty new 2013 media credentials.

actually another dud - not only got scooped several times running on the single biggest SA footy story in a generation, everything he wrote about it to try and catch up with them was wrong. Gotta love the Rucc!

Rucci-5710814.jpg

Rooch is the classic example of everything that's wrong with the SA footy media. He's actually a very good journalist and writer, but the overlords at The Advertiser want to sell papers so he's either too harsh or too cute - along with the rest of the journos in the stable.

That, and the fact he rebels against his masters (who are appealing to a marketplace of 75% Crows people) by resorting to sniping.

To be fair she didnt detail Swans issues or Fishers either.
She won't be flat out specific becuase she would be sued and the paper wouldn't let her be specific without proof anyway but she was clear in her insuations regarding drugs. She has danced a lot more around Martin.

She sweats on an opportunity to get into some clubs and some club officials. EG she has a very clear agenda with Brayshaw and she has very clear issues with Eddie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back