Cars pulling big dollars at auction

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
$700k and counting.

I’m really surprised that this vehicle is reaching those figures.
It never really achieved anything of note. If winning an opening round of the touring car championship is the best that can be used to pump up the price, then there are many, many suckers out there.
If I had the cash to stump up, supposedly up to $2 million, then I’d be looking for a Bathurst winning car or a championship winning car.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Terrible news today the driver of the A9X up for auction John Harvey (aka Slug) has been diagnosed with ling cancer at 81.

This guy drove everything & anything - the 76 on the door comes from his days on the speedway in short people.
There is a classic photo of him in the Bob Jane McLaren M6b at Fuji in Japan.

My favourite memory is him overtaking on the outside at the end of the straight at Sandown heading down to Dandenong Road.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

MauroFogheri

Fill the crucible
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure what it would be worth?

no more V8 Falcons..for a decade, then they came back. At that point you would think they would have started driving it? (I saw it on nine news...it is testimony to it's quality, or lack thereof, that it doesn't actually look to be in great condition :huh: )

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
no more V8 Falcons..for a decade, then they came back. At that point you would think they would have started driving it? (I saw it on nine news...it is testimony to it's quality, or lack thereof, that it doesn't actually look to be in great condition :huh: )

That condition is the definitive 'survivor' car.
Have a mate with a mid 60s Galaxie that needs a wash but no, its a survivor.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Not for sale:
Unless you are a motorsport perv you won’t know Garry and that’s a pity not only because he’s just built a new 2002 Holden Monaro that will cost you more than a Feezer, Lambo and McLaren combined but because he’s been building cars in Australia for over 60 years that people have wanted to buy and race. I don’t know what a real Australian is any more, but Garry seems to fit the bill more than most.

Auctions: on offer this weekend for around a mill each.
A super rare Holden Torana A9X Hatch, one of only 33 ever built and with only 475km on the clock, hits the blocks at Lloyds Auctions at noon today.
Then there’s one of two factory race cars built by Bob Forbes to compete at the 78 Le Mans 24 hour race with Forbes, Kevin Bartlett and Peter Brock behind the wheel. Didnt happen but ...

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The chicken coop Coupe is being restored. It had a wash first.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/ford-chicken-coop-restoration-begins/

1PkG5cN.jpg

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
" Late Australian media mogul Kerry Packer’s former 1977 Jaguar XJS, which was modified to the tune of 895kW (1200hp), has sold for a staggering $217,000 over the weekend. "

I wonder if it's the same Jag that Packer used to speed Hookesy when he had his jaw busted

fddgaq7kim1gcvwwdu2m

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Even Ferraris dont always go up in value:
Ferrari – the 1966 275 GTB Competizione – sold for $7,705,000, but this was a sizable drop from the $9,405,000 it brought in Scottsdale six years ago. As for newer cars from Maranello, there was a streak of five consecutive late-model stick-shift Ferraris at RM. We know a third pedal and that signature open-gate shifter can add a huge premium, but these cars all still surprised. All but one exceeded its high estimate, including a 2009 599 GTB for $709,000.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Even Ferraris dont always go uo in value:
Ferrari – the 1966 275 GTB Competizione – sold for $7,705,000, but this was a sizable drop from the $9,405,000 it brought in Scottsdale six years ago. As for newer cars from Maranello, there was a streak of five consecutive late-model stick-shift Ferraris at RM. We know a third pedal and that signature open-gate shifter can add a huge premium, but these cars all still surprised. All but one exceeded its high estimate, including a 2009 599 GTB for $709,000.

I struggled with the report of a McLaren being in this conversation. Until I realised that it’s 16 years old.
Almost a vintage vehicle.

Back