Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Carter Michael is a Lion

The Lions selected the Maroochydore product as an Academy pre-selection in today's 2020 NAB AFL Rookie Draft. Lions fans have become accustomed to a surfie unloading a lethal left foot from half back and the 18-year-old certainly shares more than just the blonde locks with veteran Daniel Rich.

His booming left foot is considered one of the most penetrating in the draft. He averaged 18 disposals in the Academy series against the Gold Coast Suns this year and was prominent for Maroochydore in their march to the QAFL finals. At 188cm and 78kgs Michael is a hybrid defender but the academy coaches see potential for a role as an outside midfielder where his penetrating kick can become an offensive weapon.

National Recruiting Manager Stephen Conole said the Lions were excited that Michael would be able to continue his development at the Club. “Carter possesses really good pace and a penetrating kick, which has allowed him to have some high-end impact throughout games,’’ he said. “He has predominately played around the square, however some of his contest work was really encouraging in his QAFL football this year, and we see him being able to also play for periods in and around the contest as he gets stronger.’’
Sounds quite a player; welcome Carter.

WhiteLionFeva

Premium Gold
Oct 19, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mt Gravatt, MHSOB, FFC, CGS
Similar size and style to Josh Drummond.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Similar size and style to Josh Drummond.
Thought the same.

Would be interested in your opinions of Carter Judge given your knowledge of the underage QLD system.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Having watched Carter for quite a few years on the Sunshine Coast I am quietly confident that he will thrive and develop quickly in a professional club environment.

He possesses great hands off the ground and in traffic, a quite strong overhead mark with excellent timing because he reads the ball well. His kick is very high quality with plenty of power. I would rate his defensive game as OK but he has a little way to go to be consistent. He is a strong tackler for his size.

I think Carter is capable of playing midfield minutes at the second tier level initially. I don’t rate his speed as exceptional but certainly not slow. Where I would rate him highest I think is his read of the play. I have seen him play games where he looks like a natural sweeper who then rebounds with quality kicking that opens up the field on counter-attack. He knows where to be and knows what to do.

He and Coleman were the two academy standouts in my mind, so to get them both is a good outcome in a tough year for the academy. I don’t think Carter will be an immediate chance of playing at AFL level next season but with a full season of development behind him in 2021 he could be ready for 2022. I think Lions fans will love that long flat accurate kick of his. He has the potential to be a long term replacement for Daniel Rich.

Exciting times for Maroochydore to have two drafted in two years (Noah Cumberland to Richmond last year) and moving up to QAFL level, plus hosted AFL clubs for much of this year.

By the way, Carter Michael’s younger brother is Jordan Michael, so there is a theme of first and last names being interchangeable in the family.

Judge

Premium Platinum
Mar 29, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thought the same.

Would be interested in your opinions of Carter Judge given your knowledge of the underage QLD system.
I've seen a lot of Carter over the years, I'd love him to prove me wrong but I struggle to see him making it as a league footballer.

He's certainly a good kick off his left but I'm not sure he has much touch with his kicking and he's certainly nowhere near Drummo's class at this point.

I'd have taken Tahj Abberley over Michael any day myself, as he's a better kick and a better player. Essendon had put a fair bit of time into Tahj but obviously decided not to rookie him in the end.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Michael is an interesting prospect and one that could go either way. Personally I think his kicking ability is overstated. Yes he has a long kick but in that respect he is a bit like Witherden. He has length but does not have the feel or low punching ability that Rich does or indeed Drummon had. Overall his skills are solid but not outstanding. There is potential for them to improve with practice but he is not close to being one of the better kicks in the draft.

What he does have is a nice combination of size and athleticism. He is quick off the mark and has good closing speed. He is decent overhead and competes well but I would not consider him an strong intercept marker. I like him best behind the ball but he can play up onto the wing and through the midfield although I don't think he has a natural feel for getting to space and finding a heap of it. He does get a reasonable amount of the ball but that tends to be through hard work rather than superior reading of the play.

That is rather the Carter's story. I don't think he has any excellent parts of his game he is just good enough at most things and that was sufficient to justify him getting picked up. He works hard and compensates but he does not really have anything that stands out as giving him an advantage at AFL level. On the other side of the coin though he has no massive deficiencies either and hard work could be enough to carry him through.

pulpdriver

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Having watched Carter for quite a few years on the Sunshine Coast I am quietly confident that he will thrive and develop quickly in a professional club environment.

He possesses great hands off the ground and in traffic, a quite strong overhead mark with excellent timing because he reads the ball well. His kick is very high quality with plenty of power. I would rate his defensive game as OK but he has a little way to go to be consistent. He is a strong tackler for his size.

I think Carter is capable of playing midfield minutes at the second tier level initially. I don’t rate his speed as exceptional but certainly not slow. Where I would rate him highest I think is his read of the play. I have seen him play games where he looks like a natural sweeper who then rebounds with quality kicking that opens up the field on counter-attack. He knows where to be and knows what to do.

He and Coleman were the two academy standouts in my mind, so to get them both is a good outcome in a tough year for the academy. I don’t think Carter will be an immediate chance of playing at AFL level next season but with a full season of development behind him in 2021 he could be ready for 2022. I think Lions fans will love that long flat accurate kick of his. He has the potential to be a long term replacement for Daniel Rich.

Exciting times for Maroochydore to have two drafted in two years (Noah Cumberland to Richmond last year) and moving up to QAFL level, plus hosted AFL clubs for much of this year.

By the way, Carter Michael’s younger brother is Jordan Michael, so there is a theme of first and last names being interchangeable in the family.

Dlions

Premium Platinum
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Michael is an interesting prospect and one that could go either way. Personally I think his kicking ability is overstated. Yes he has a long kick but in that respect he is a bit like Witherden. He has length but does not have the feel or low punching ability that Rich does or indeed Drummon had. Overall his skills are solid but not outstanding. There is potential for them to improve with practice but he is not close to being one of the better kicks in the draft.

What he does have is a nice combination of size and athleticism. He is quick off the mark and has good closing speed. He is decent overhead and competes well but I would not consider him an strong intercept marker. I like him best behind the ball but he can play up onto the wing and through the midfield although I don't think he has a natural feel for getting to space and finding a heap of it. He does get a reasonable amount of the ball but that tends to be through hard work rather than superior reading of the play.

That is rather the Carter's story. I don't think he has any excellent parts of his game he is just good enough at most things and that was sufficient to justify him getting picked up. He works hard and compensates but he does not really have anything that stands out as giving him an advantage at AFL level. On the other side of the coin though he has no massive deficiencies either and hard work could be enough to carry him through.
Sounds like more of a Mitch Golby than a Josh Drummond or a Daniel Rich.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Guernsey Numbers Revealed
Carter Michael – 39

Carter Michael has selected the number once worn by another Sunshine Coaster.

Josh Drummond holds the record of 94 games in guernsey number 39.

Flamboyant Brisbane Bear Warwick Capper also the number 34 times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad