Senior Carter Michael (2020-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Carter Michael is a Lion

The Lions selected the Maroochydore product as an Academy pre-selection in today's 2020 NAB AFL Rookie Draft. Lions fans have become accustomed to a surfie unloading a lethal left foot from half back and the 18-year-old certainly shares more than just the blonde locks with veteran Daniel Rich.

His booming left foot is considered one of the most penetrating in the draft. He averaged 18 disposals in the Academy series against the Gold Coast Suns this year and was prominent for Maroochydore in their march to the QAFL finals. At 188cm and 78kgs Michael is a hybrid defender but the academy coaches see potential for a role as an outside midfielder where his penetrating kick can become an offensive weapon.

National Recruiting Manager Stephen Conole said the Lions were excited that Michael would be able to continue his development at the Club. “Carter possesses really good pace and a penetrating kick, which has allowed him to have some high-end impact throughout games,’’ he said. “He has predominately played around the square, however some of his contest work was really encouraging in his QAFL football this year, and we see him being able to also play for periods in and around the contest as he gets stronger.’’

Sounds quite a player; welcome Carter.

Similar size and style to Josh Drummond.

Similar size and style to Josh Drummond.
Thought the same.

Would be interested in your opinions of Carter Judge given your knowledge of the underage QLD system.

Having watched Carter for quite a few years on the Sunshine Coast I am quietly confident that he will thrive and develop quickly in a professional club environment.

He possesses great hands off the ground and in traffic, a quite strong overhead mark with excellent timing because he reads the ball well. His kick is very high quality with plenty of power. I would rate his defensive game as OK but he has a little way to go to be consistent. He is a strong tackler for his size.

I think Carter is capable of playing midfield minutes at the second tier level initially. I don’t rate his speed as exceptional but certainly not slow. Where I would rate him highest I think is his read of the play. I have seen him play games where he looks like a natural sweeper who then rebounds with quality kicking that opens up the field on counter-attack. He knows where to be and knows what to do.

He and Coleman were the two academy standouts in my mind, so to get them both is a good outcome in a tough year for the academy. I don’t think Carter will be an immediate chance of playing at AFL level next season but with a full season of development behind him in 2021 he could be ready for 2022. I think Lions fans will love that long flat accurate kick of his. He has the potential to be a long term replacement for Daniel Rich.

Exciting times for Maroochydore to have two drafted in two years (Noah Cumberland to Richmond last year) and moving up to QAFL level, plus hosted AFL clubs for much of this year.

By the way, Carter Michael’s younger brother is Jordan Michael, so there is a theme of first and last names being interchangeable in the family.

Thought the same.

Would be interested in your opinions of Carter Judge given your knowledge of the underage QLD system.

I've seen a lot of Carter over the years, I'd love him to prove me wrong but I struggle to see him making it as a league footballer.

He's certainly a good kick off his left but I'm not sure he has much touch with his kicking and he's certainly nowhere near Drummo's class at this point.

I'd have taken Tahj Abberley over Michael any day myself, as he's a better kick and a better player. Essendon had put a fair bit of time into Tahj but obviously decided not to rookie him in the end.

Michael is an interesting prospect and one that could go either way. Personally I think his kicking ability is overstated. Yes he has a long kick but in that respect he is a bit like Witherden. He has length but does not have the feel or low punching ability that Rich does or indeed Drummon had. Overall his skills are solid but not outstanding. There is potential for them to improve with practice but he is not close to being one of the better kicks in the draft.

What he does have is a nice combination of size and athleticism. He is quick off the mark and has good closing speed. He is decent overhead and competes well but I would not consider him an strong intercept marker. I like him best behind the ball but he can play up onto the wing and through the midfield although I don't think he has a natural feel for getting to space and finding a heap of it. He does get a reasonable amount of the ball but that tends to be through hard work rather than superior reading of the play.

That is rather the Carter's story. I don't think he has any excellent parts of his game he is just good enough at most things and that was sufficient to justify him getting picked up. He works hard and compensates but he does not really have anything that stands out as giving him an advantage at AFL level. On the other side of the coin though he has no massive deficiencies either and hard work could be enough to carry him through.

Having watched Carter for quite a few years on the Sunshine Coast I am quietly confident that he will thrive and develop quickly in a professional club environment.

He possesses great hands off the ground and in traffic, a quite strong overhead mark with excellent timing because he reads the ball well. His kick is very high quality with plenty of power. I would rate his defensive game as OK but he has a little way to go to be consistent. He is a strong tackler for his size.

I think Carter is capable of playing midfield minutes at the second tier level initially. I don’t rate his speed as exceptional but certainly not slow. Where I would rate him highest I think is his read of the play. I have seen him play games where he looks like a natural sweeper who then rebounds with quality kicking that opens up the field on counter-attack. He knows where to be and knows what to do.

He and Coleman were the two academy standouts in my mind, so to get them both is a good outcome in a tough year for the academy. I don’t think Carter will be an immediate chance of playing at AFL level next season but with a full season of development behind him in 2021 he could be ready for 2022. I think Lions fans will love that long flat accurate kick of his. He has the potential to be a long term replacement for Daniel Rich.

Exciting times for Maroochydore to have two drafted in two years (Noah Cumberland to Richmond last year) and moving up to QAFL level, plus hosted AFL clubs for much of this year.

By the way, Carter Michael’s younger brother is Jordan Michael, so there is a theme of first and last names being interchangeable in the family.

source.gif

Michael is an interesting prospect and one that could go either way. Personally I think his kicking ability is overstated. Yes he has a long kick but in that respect he is a bit like Witherden. He has length but does not have the feel or low punching ability that Rich does or indeed Drummon had. Overall his skills are solid but not outstanding. There is potential for them to improve with practice but he is not close to being one of the better kicks in the draft.

What he does have is a nice combination of size and athleticism. He is quick off the mark and has good closing speed. He is decent overhead and competes well but I would not consider him an strong intercept marker. I like him best behind the ball but he can play up onto the wing and through the midfield although I don't think he has a natural feel for getting to space and finding a heap of it. He does get a reasonable amount of the ball but that tends to be through hard work rather than superior reading of the play.

That is rather the Carter's story. I don't think he has any excellent parts of his game he is just good enough at most things and that was sufficient to justify him getting picked up. He works hard and compensates but he does not really have anything that stands out as giving him an advantage at AFL level. On the other side of the coin though he has no massive deficiencies either and hard work could be enough to carry him through.
Sounds like more of a Mitch Golby than a Josh Drummond or a Daniel Rich.

Guernsey Numbers Revealed
Carter Michael – 39

Carter Michael has selected the number once worn by another Sunshine Coaster.

Josh Drummond holds the record of 94 games in guernsey number 39.

Flamboyant Brisbane Bear Warwick Capper also the number 34 times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five Must Watch Players in the VFL

In his second year the Lions, Carter Michael has taken his game to another level with an increasing focus on his work ethic and professionalism seeing the 20-year-old cement his reputation as a rebounding defender.

Michael’s marking and booming left foot were on show in the Lions’ Round 12 match against the Northern Bullants where he gathers 26 disposals, 10 marks and five inside 50s.

“Carter has really stepped up his professionalism this season and we’re seeing him reap the rewards of that additional preparation.

“Whether it’s his work in the gym improving his contest work, his ability to get the ball and carry off half back or his drive to get across to his fellow defender and assist them, we’ve been impressed by his season so far and are looking forward to seeing what he can do in the remainder of the home and away season.”

179491633_3996856287036438_531439501552502412_n.jpg

Brisbane Lions Make it Five Straight

Ryan Lester was arguably best-on-ground with 31 touches, 13 marks and three tackles, while Carter Michael responded from being left out of Chris Fagan’s best 22 with 27 disposals, four marks and five inside 50s.

Qscan Injury Update: Two Lions Seasons Over

Meanwhile, youngsters Carter Michael and Tom Berry’s seasons are sadly over after both sustained shoulder injuries in the VFL over the weekend.

The pair went for scans which confirmed damage to their shoulders, with the two undergoing surgery today.

Young Lions Duo Put Pen To Paper

Emerging Brisbane Lions duo Carter Michael and Blake Coleman have both signed new one-year deals to remain at the Club until at least the end of the 2023 season.

The 20-year-old pair both arrived at The Gabba for the 2021 season through the Brisbane Lions Academy.

Michael, a promising defender with a long-range left foot, broke into the team this season to make his debut in Round 17 against Essendon.

While Coleman, a crafty forward and brother of Lions defender Keidean, had an interrupted preseason due to illness before building on his game in the VFL.

Brisbane Lions List Manager, Dom Ambrogio, said the pair thoroughly deserved their contract extensions and that the Club was excited to see them continue to develop.

“It was a great reward for Carter to make his debut this season, when he came into the team, he made the most of his opportunities showing he can play at AFL level,” Ambrogio said.

“Carter showed plenty of promise down back, so it was unfortunate to see his season cut short due to injury, as he was building some real momentum.

“Blake again showed the benefits of being on an AFL list for a second season and he produced some strong performances at VFL level.

“He has natural goalkicking and marking ability which makes him exciting to watch, so we hope to see him take that next step as he keeps working on his craft.

“We were really pleased with the development these two players have shown and are looking forward to seeing what they can do next year with another solid pre-season under their belt.”

Blake and Carter join fellow teammates, Jaxon Prior and Dayne Zorko in high profile re-signings so far this off-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back