No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he doesn't give his opinion on anything. We're only interested in the facts surrounding him not anything he may have to say.

WTF does this even mean?

If John Snow isn't in it, I'm not interested. :)
gtezKhd.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...l-sue-afl-for-50-million-20160728-gqfifu.html

Mark Thompson has warned that current and former Essendon players caught up in the club's ill-fated supplements program plan to sue the AFL next year for as much as $50 million.

The "Essendon 34" were handed season-long doping suspensions in January from the Court of Arbitration for Sport, with 17 of those players still in the AFL system and 12 on the Bombers' list.

The banned players are expected to settle compensation claims with the club out of court, but Thompson is confident they will also go after the AFL, meaning the protracted saga will drag on into a fifth year.

Wonder if that's just a guess or he has some inside knowledge?

Maybe it's a shot across the bow to AFL HQ..

If they bring suit and lose (theoretically) I guess the AFL would return fire and charge them all individually with bringing the game into disrepute? Lovely catchall clause that one.
The players didn't bring the game into disrepute - everyone including ASADA has commended the cooperation of the players and the way in which they've dealt with unbelievable stress over 4 years of what are 10 years careers on average. A significant part of their losses, both financial and emotional, lies entirely with AFL which, despite its contractual obligations to the players, completely bungled the investigation, setting them for attack by both ASADA and WADA in two sets of proceedings, by compelling them to give evidence at the joint investigation. If these proceedings go ahead (and I expect that they'll be settled) you'd expect an awful lot of the AFL's dirty laundry to be aired - which might be the point of some of the actions, particularly say, if Jobe's medal is stripped.

The players didn't bring the game into disrepute - everyone including ASADA has commended the cooperation of the players and the way in which they've dealt with unbelievable stress over 4 years of what are 10 years careers on average. A significant part of their losses, both financial and emotional, lies entirely with AFL which, despite its contractual obligations to the players, completely bungled the investigation, setting them for attack by both ASADA and WADA in two sets of proceedings, by compelling them to give evidence at the joint investigation. If these proceedings go ahead (and I expect that they'll be settled) you'd expect an awful lot of the AFL's dirty laundry to be aired - which might be the point of some of the actions, particularly say, if Jobe's medal is stripped.
I wasn't saying that the players brought the game into disrepute with the whole supplements saga mess.

I'm saying if they lost the court case then the league would be legally 'innocent' and thus any press about the court case would be 'defamatory' to the league. That would be grounds enough for the AFL to accuse them of bringing the game's reputation into question, if they even needed grounds at all. Given it's part of the AFL's own rules, it would be at the league's discretion whether or not they wanted to impose a sanction on the players still employed by the league.

It was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment.

I don't actually think it would happen, coz optics. The players know too much and the league has too much to lose. More likely they settle out of court with a non-disclosure clause.

(And by innocent - I know that 'innocent'/'guilty' don't apply to civil cases. But for the sake of simplicity...)

I'm saying if they lost the court case then the league would be legally 'innocent' and thus any press about the court case would be 'defamatory' to the league. That would be grounds enough for the AFL to accuse them of bringing the game's reputation into question, if they even needed grounds at all. Given it's part of the AFL's own rules, it would be at the league's discretion whether or not they wanted to impose a sanction on the players still employed by the league.
Nah...

I wasn't saying that the players brought the game into disrepute with the whole supplements saga mess.

It was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment.

Oh...

If the players were able to sue the AFL successfully (however unlikely that is) you would hope it would draw attention to the AFL's share of accountability in all of this, but it wouldn't.

More condemnation for Essendon and more sympathy for the AFL. The problem child putting the parent in a bad position.The AFL legally but unrealistically being expected to have a measure of control of an uncontrollable environment of a rogue club.

But regardless of fault. Regardless of the size of the lawsuit the most basic responsibility of the AFL will not be addressed; to behave in a decent manner.

If the players were able to sue the AFL successfully (however unlikely that is) you would hope it would draw attention to the AFL's share of accountability in all of this, but it wouldn't.

I can't see why they wouldn't successfully be able to sue the AFL.

*Clothier claim's to warn Hird about peptide use before any program is started.
*Ried contacts Clothier on day one of pre-season, telling him that Robinson has given players tablets without approval. Clothier does nothing.
*Essendon players are target tested and samples sent overseas as they know a program is going on, but again do nothing to warn players ect.

I can't see why they wouldn't successfully be able to sue the AFL.

*Clothier claim's to warn Hird about peptide use before any program is started.
*Ried contacts Clothier on day one of pre-season, telling him that Robinson has given players tablets without approval. Clothier does nothing.
*Essendon players are target tested and samples sent overseas as they know a program is going on, but again do nothing to warn players ect.

Add to this many others including:

AFL told and encouraged players to participate with ASADA with the promise they had nothing to worry about. This message was conveyed multiple times by the AFL executives over multiple years. Obviously this was a false promise the AFL could not deliver upon.

The players had their confidential information leaked - information controlled by AFL.

AFL anti doping compliance protocols not audited (or not effectively audited) as per the AFL's protocols and documentation. Lack of governance over entire competition from AFL.

The AFL allowed a double jeopardy situation to occur - players denied the right to compete in the 2013 finals series and then again denied the right to compete in 2016. Effectively punished twice for the same offence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back